Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Should Saints' Thomas be suspended?

I can see your point.
    I don't buy into the honesty issue though.
    I see it as a guy with asthma that gets his medication so he can do his job and he ignorantly got caught doing something that he didn't consider an issue since he wasn't deviantly do this like a Mark McGwire type episode.

The rules were laid out in black and white and they didn't follow the rules.
    It's just tough for me to accept that a guy taking medication for breathing gets the same suspension as a guy that does an intentional cleat to the face.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    The rules are clear.

If his team doctor knew he had the condition, and knew that the medication he is taking contains roids then he should have cleared it through the proper channels.

They do random drug testing. If they had known about this condition previously it would have saved a lot of problems. I really blame the Saints on this one.

There is an appeals process for a reason. This is that reason. That being said if the team doctor knew of his situation it should have been dealt with, now it looks like some sort of conspiracy and excuse. It is easier to handle the situation with honesty before it becomes an issue instead of hoping he isn't selected for a test and not wanting to deal with it ahead of time. Now if the Saints had handled it properly to begin with then this would not even be a discussion.
    I agree with the part that it could of possibly been avoidable but I am going to play dumb when I say that I would go under the assumption that thsi would be ok since it was health related and necessary

Del Rio Guest

"Acumen" wrote:
    I can see your point.
    I don't buy into the honesty issue though.
    I see it as a guy with asthma that gets his medication so he can do his job and he ignorantly got caught doing something that he didn't consider an issue since he wasn't deviantly do this like a Mark McGwire type episode.

The rules were laid out in black and white and they didn't follow the rules.
    It's just tough for me to accept that a guy taking medication for breathing gets the same suspension as a guy that does an intentional cleat to the face.
    The only thing I can think of is this is the NFL punishing the Saints for not following protocol. Much like if you were an employee of ENRON, you suffer for the actions or lack of actions your company takes.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I wonder how the league would have ruled if it was one of their little teacher's pet teams, like the Patsies or Cowturds?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

I heard he plans on appealing, so we'll see what happens.

Though if he appeals now, it takes a while for his appeal to reach the higher ups and will take a while to get looked at like Shawn Merriman did and he might still get to play some games before the final ruling is made.
    But if he does that, it might just delay his 4 game suspension, pushing it into the playoffs.

So he could take it now and finish out the season with a suspension, or appeal and take the risk of missing some playoff games (i'm assuming).
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

This is ridiculous, granted they should of went through the appeals process earlier, BUT IT'S ASTHMA MEDICATION, I'm sorry but I think it's plain idiocy to believe this guy should be suspended.

Del Rio Guest

"vikes2456" wrote:
    This is ridiculous, granted they should of went through the appeals process earlier, BUT IT'S ASTHMA MEDICATION, I'm sorry but I think it's plain idiocy to believe this guy should be suspended.
    Well then call me a member suffering from idiocy.

I think it is plain idiocy to know the steroid was on the banned list and instead of nipping it from the get go they tried to fly under the radar.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am with Del.

There was no reason this was not addressed before the random drug test.
    Thomas and the Saints dropped the ball, and they have to suffer the consequences.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

There are other factors that probably should be considered and may have been by the NFL, but they generally do not make it a point to discuss these issues with the media for good reason.

Some things I can think of that may have been a factor

A) Perhaps the level of Roids in the inhaler would/were not high enough to test possitive. Obviously meaning that he was getting a possitive result from something other then his inhaler.

B) Perhaps the level was enough to test possitive but shouldn't have been. Meaning he was hitting his inhaler and getting more of a pick me up then his breathing needed.

C) Perhaps this particular type of steroid not only helps your breathing but boosts other things in your body such as energy, or physical ability. In other words perhaps even though he did have the chronic breathing problem, this particular steroid does indeed give him an unfair advantage above and beyond it's medicinal goal.

It is too easy to cry foul when the NFL doesn't disclose information to the public regarding individuals drug tests.

Any way like I said I can't blame the NFL on this one, and for any Saints fans out there it looks like your team will make the playoffs and he will be back so if you're a Saints fan that is good news.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah, he will be back for the playoffs.

On a sidenote, if anyone is interested in trippy art, this artist is selling his wares to help with the Katrina relief effort: http://bluedogrelief.com/

A guy that works with me just donated a grand for this:

[img width=180 height=225]http://s50003.sites57.storefront-hosting.com/images/We-Are-Marching-Again%20225.jpg[/img]

I think I may take up painting as another hobby.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast