Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Should Saints' Thomas be suspended?

This one I seriously do not get. So he is being punished because he has asthma? I understand the need fore a policy but isn't this taking things to far? There has to be more than just a Asthma Medication that is somehow involved but it does not sound like there is. If that is the only reason I hihop that the NFL figures out how stupid this makes them look.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2687451

Thomas' asthma medicine causes drug policy violationBy John Clayton
    ESPN.com

The Saints suffered a big blow to their defense Tuesday when they found out defensive tackle Hollis Thomas, who is having a career year, is being suspended for four games because he violated the league's steroid policy due to asthma medication he takes.

Thomas has been challenging the positive steroid test and had the support of the Saints. Thomas is a 335-pound defensive tackle who has struggled to keep his weight down and doesn't have the body that normally would be linked to steroids.

During his appeal, John Amoss, who is the Saints' team doctor and an assistant professor at the LSU Health Science Center, sent a letter to the league in support of Thomas. Amoss said Thomas has severe asthma problems and requires a high dose of inhaled steroids to breathe. According to the doctor, Thomas needs a long acting beta agonist and a short acting beta agonist to control his asthma.

During his August drug test, the defensive tackle was taking an asthma product called Advair twice a day while also using an inhaler four times a day.

"Advair contains both the steroid fluticasone and the long acting beta agonist galmeterol," wrote Amoss, who thought the possibility of a false positive might have happened.

After taking the information under consideration, the league ruled Thomas was in violation of the policy and he will be lost to the team for the remainder of the regular season.

If New Orleans makes the playoffs, Thomas would be eligible to play. He can be added to the active roster on Jan. 1, 2007, the day after the regular season ends.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Should Saints' Thomas be suspended?

This situation has me ticked off.
    This guy has been tearing up the field.
    I'm all for a drug testing policy, but they should use their brains when implementing it.
    Big, big loss for the Saints at an inopportune time and for a ridiculous reason.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Apparently his being able to breathe on the field gives him an unfair advantage of some sort.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Del Rio Guest

The rules are clear.

If his team doctor knew he had the condition, and knew that the medication he is taking contains roids then he should have cleared it through the proper channels.

They do random drug testing. If they had known about this condition previously it would have saved a lot of problems. I really blame the Saints on this one.

There is an appeals process for a reason. This is that reason. That being said if the team doctor knew of his situation it should have been dealt with, now it looks like some sort of conspiracy and excuse. It is easier to handle the situation with honesty before it becomes an issue instead of hoping he isn't selected for a test and not wanting to deal with it ahead of time. Now if the Saints had handled it properly to begin with then this would not even be a discussion.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

It's allways difficult with the astma medicin. Of course people should be allowed to get medicin if they are sick.

However sometimes you get the feeling that it can be used to hide something.

In Cycling riders have to get a doctors note if they have to take medicin like this. That means that apparently more than 50% of the riders have astma.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

"Del" wrote:
    The rules are clear.

If his team doctor knew he had the condition, and knew that the medication he is taking contains roids then he should have cleared it through the proper channels.

They do random drug testing. If they had known about this condition previously it would have saved a lot of problems. I really blame the Saints on this one.

There is an appeals process for a reason. This is that reason. Now if the Saints had handled it properly to begin with then this would not even be a discussion.
    BS!
    They should have done this before the appeals process, you are right on that.
    It shouldn't have been a problem.
    But read this speil:

During his appeal, John Amoss, who is the Saints' team doctor and an assistant professor at the LSU Health Science Center, sent a letter to the league in support of Thomas. Amoss said Thomas has severe asthma problems and requires a high dose of inhaled steroids to breathe. According to the doctor, Thomas needs a long acting beta agonist and a short acting beta agonist to control his asthma.

During his August drug test, the defensive tackle was taking an asthma product called Advair twice a day while also using an inhaler four times a day.

"Advair contains both the steroid fluticasone and the long acting beta agonist galmeterol," wrote Amoss, who thought the possibility of a false positive might have happened.

After taking the information under consideration, the league ruled Thomas was in violation of the policy and he will be lost to the team for the remainder of the regular season.
    Thiat is crazy.
    Sure, he should have had it documented before the appeal.
    But, wiith the evidence thrown on the table they league ruled he was in violation?
    This clearly the case of morons running the show.
    The black and white version is he should have done it ahead of time so the appeals process wasn't brought into play.
    He didn't.
    So he goea through the appeals process and it appears to be an open/shut case.

My only explanation is that the appeals process is laden with officials that were booted from their duities on the field and are now using their prowess to make a mockery of the system at another level.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Del Rio Guest

It's a banned substance. They knew that.

The team should have approached the league and cleared it. If it would not clear then they should have found another inhaler that conatined a drug not on the banned list.

This was avoidable.

It may have been avoidable and both sides are guilty of not using their noggin'.
    The Saints should have used a substitute and the appeals process should have used their brains.
    The whole drug testing system was needed, but it is far from perfect.
    It reminds me of the instant replay, there have been many times this season where the calls have been completely wrong even using the replay, this is the case in this situation....not to mention the Saints haven't had very many good teams since their inception in 1967 and I hate to see productive players getting nixed for what I would call an invalid reason.
    He gets the same # of games off as Haynesworth?
    Come on, you know that isn't right.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    It's a banned substance. They knew that.

The team should have approached the league and cleared it. If it would not clear then they should have found another inhaler that conatined a drug not on the banned list.

This was avoidable.
    Correct.
    Professional athletes should know - you don't put ANYTHING into your body until you check to see if it's on a banned substances list.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio Guest

I just can't blame the NFL. I blame the saints.

I would compare it loosely to a undercover officer having a gun on him and trying to board a plane. He knows he has the gun. He should make it known at the begining not wait until he gets "caught"

Maybe the NFL is taking this stance as well. You knew it would be an issue and you waited until we caught you, we do not like that so the suspension stands, next time do it right.

As far as him individually it isn't fair IMO, it isn't fair to him or his family, but I think the league may be punishing the saints for going about it wrong, there are rules the saints did not follow those rules.

Where I work there are chemicals, we get inspected about once every year or so at a random time. If someone brings a new haz item in it had to be approved with about 2 weeks worth of paperwork. Meanwhile guys on the floor need it to get their work, sometimes people order something in and give it to guys and deal with the paperwork after. If we get caught doing that the shit hits the fan.

Like I said I don't really blame the NFL. It's almost an honesty issue here from the Saints.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast