Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Should Overtime Rules Be Changed?

"V" wrote:
    The team that wins the toss wins the game 61% of the time, so people want to eliminate the toss?

The team that plays at home wins the game 59% of the time this year. Do people want to play all games at neutral sites?
    Teams that score more points win 100% of the time, I think its unfair for the team that didn't play as well, they shoudl be able to win as well.

Re: Should Overtime Rules Be Changed?

V-Unit wrote:
    The team that wins the toss wins the game 61% of the time, so people want to eliminate the toss?

The team that plays at home wins the game 59% of the time this year. Do people want to play all games at neutral sites?
    You have a point, but let me try to make a distinction.

Each team gets to play half of their games at home. It is an advantage. But it is largely leveled out over the course of a season. In the playoffs, the teams have theoretically earned that advantage.

The overtime coin toss is a one-time event. It is decided by chance. There is plenty of chance in a football game already, but after a close game the coin toss is a big moment not related to the ability of the players at all.

That said, in those terms the current system isn't really 'unfair' as much as not ideal. It's not like any team has an advantage when calling the toss.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234