Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Should Overtime Rules Be Changed?

Our current system is terrible.
    I hate it when games are decided by luck.
    They should just say that there has to be sudden death with a minimum of two possessions.
    It's ridiculous that teams don't even try to get it into the end zone.

faninphx is offline Starter

I admit it is kind of a bummer when your team loses and the offense never gets a chance to get on the field.
    I do think that the current overtime rules are a bit unfair but that doesn't mean it needs to be changed.
    I think college OT's are just plain goofy and I pray to God we never adopt them.
    The other solutions (no fg's/playing 15 mins) just seem to open up a can of worms in my opinion and then you'll have a new set of valid complaints.

To me this is not an argument worth having.
    Sort of like whether the NCAA should adopt a playoff system. You just have to accept that the current system has a few fundamental flaws but changing them will not improve the situation.

IMissCris is offline Rookie

"Formo" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    Its kind of messed up only one team gets the ball if they score first.

But I will say this. I like the urgency it can give teams during the closing minutes of regulation. If a team is down by 3, it should provide extra motivation for them to get for a TD if they know they may never get the ball in OT.
    Or maybe get a defense?
    +1.....offense is only one of the 3 facets of the game; you have an ST and defense that can do something about it in terms of limiting field possession/getting it back from a TO or punt. The must-score-a-TD (no FGs) rule would be the only one I'd even entertain.

College system is a joke....game could be played almost entirely between the 30s or 40s (i.e., a defensive struggle), and with OT, 'here you go, ball's at the 25' and the game turns into a 47-45 affair. IMO, player stats in college overtime shouldn't even be counted since the arrangement is so offense-friendly at that point. Think about it...do hockey or soccer players' goals in shootouts count for anything?

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

The NFL has been doing what they can to increase scoring, because it's more exciting.
    i.e. don't breath to hard on the QB.
    Thus, with a system that caters to offenses will always benefit the team that wins the coin toss.

Currently teams with high powered offenses use their offense as their defense by getting leads and forcing the other team to be one dimensional.
    Works very well on teams with better rushing than passing games.
    Cardinals are a good example because all of their losses they were less than one score at half time.

But in the college system that big lead defense wouldn't count for anything, because it's 0-0 after each set of possessions.

IMO the college system is pretty fair, would encourage balanced teams, and would increase scoring drives to thrill the fans.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

The #1 priority for an NFL overtime game is to get the game over with. These grown men are in the middle of long seasons and are pretty much exhausted by the time overtime comes around. Personally, I think that they should just call the game a tie at the end of regulation.

The college style? More fair but FAR from perfect. STs are excluded and the teams start in FG range.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"IMissCris" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:

But I will say this. I like the urgency it can give teams during the closing minutes of regulation. If a team is down by 3, it should provide extra motivation for them to get for a TD if they know they may never get the ball in OT.
    Or maybe get a defense?
    +1.....offense is only one of the 3 facets of the game; you have an ST and defense that can do something about it in terms of limiting field possession/getting it back from a TO or punt. The must-score-a-TD (no FGs) rule would be the only one I'd even entertain.

College system is a joke....game could be played almost entirely between the 30s or 40s (i.e., a defensive struggle), and with OT, 'here you go, ball's at the 25' and the game turns into a 47-45 affair. IMO, player stats in college overtime shouldn't even be counted since the arrangement is so offense-friendly at that point. Think about it...do hockey or soccer players' goals in shootouts count for anything?
    I disagree.

In fact, I remember a game between MN and PSU and it came down to MN making a defensive stop.
    It wasn't a shoot out.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Formo" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:

[size=10pt]Or maybe get a defense?[/size]
    Exactly.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Just leave it like it is. Ravens-Steelers are in overtime now, and there has been 2 punts
    We're bringing purple back.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"V" wrote:
    The #1 priority for an NFL overtime game is to get the game over with. These grown men are in the middle of long seasons and are pretty much exhausted by the time overtime comes around. Personally, I think that they should just call the game a tie at the end of regulation.

The college style? More fair but FAR from perfect. STs are excluded and the teams start in FG range.
    Wow, I thought I would be the first proponent of ties. Well in.

There is nothing wrong with the sister-kisser. Chances are that just about every team in the league would have one by the end of the year.

But it wouldn't solve the problem of what to do in the case of a playoff tie. There, I would be a proponent of playing another whole 15 minute quarter.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

College football, is "fair". It is IMO, far from perfect. College footballs OT is NOT real football. The NFL is all about offense now. The rules have been changed to make it so offense wins. Pass plays win. Quarterbacks win. Coin flip? Who cares if you have the '01 (was it) Raven's D. But if you have the '07 Pats offense, or your Peter King and live for the Pats, your gonna be crying.

Keep it the way it is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast