Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Should Overtime Rules Be Changed?

There was a bit of chatter this past week on this topic, mainly because two week 11 games went into OT.
    One of those was decided with only one team having the ball.
    Basically, a lot of people think the current system is too dependent on the coin toss, and that losing in overtime without having a chance to score is unfair.

ProFootballTalk.com posted an article on this topic today, suggesting that the NFL should adopt the UFL rule of guaranteeing both teams a possession.

A few numbers to keep in mind:
    -With the current system, the team winning the coin toss wins about 60% of the time
    -The team winning the coin toss wins 30% of the time on the first possession
    -With the old kicking rules, the win percentage was very close to 50% relative to the coin toss

Here are some other ideas off the top of my head or that I've heard from others:
    -College system (both teams from the 25, alternating chance to score)
    -Move the kickoffs up to the 40 to get the win percentage closer to the 50% it was before the kicking changes
    -Let one team pick a yardline and the other team pick possession (for example, one team picks the 40 yard line, and the second team decides they want the ball there, whereas if the first team picked the 10 the second might choose to send out their defense)
    -No field goals in overtime (at least make a team drive the entire length of the field)
    -Play an entire 15:00 minute quarter (or some other, shorter length of time)
    -Continue play from the 4th quarter, similar to the change between 1st and 2nd, or between 3rd and 4th quarters

To keep this post as brief as possible, I'll simply say that I favor playing an entire quarter against these options.
    I've generally been okay with the current system, but a 60/40 advantage is huge in the NFL.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
    Are you okay with the current system?
    Have any comments on how stupid one of these other ideas would be?
    Or have a great idea of your own?
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Should Overtime Rules Be Changed?

I'm ok with the current system, but I wouldn't be opposed to changing it to college rules OT.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

I kind of like the no field goals, touchdowns only in OT rule.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Dekay is offline Pro-Bowler Element Quest Champion

yes, they chould change!

Lets make it a kicking game! Start out with a 15yard FG for both sides and move the ball back 5 yards until either of the kicker misses.

Or startout with the ball at the 10yardline and make it 5 tries for each team. The team who makes the most TD wins. It goes on until the tie breaks.

Or give the team with the most time of possesion the ball first, I think they earned it.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

No keep it the same.

Only gamblers want the rule changed to cover the over.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

You might see some changes when an OT loss costs one of the media darlings teams ala Dallas, Pats, Colts etc a place in post season or worse still during the playoffs but until then dream on as it won't happen
    :
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My change would involve having the cheerleaders put on Bikini's and a large jello pool would be placed on the 50 yard line where they would battle for the victory.

Much better than leaving it to a kicker to decide the outcome.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Its kind of messed up only one team gets the ball if they score first.

But I will say this. I like the urgency it can give teams during the closing minutes of regulation. If a team is down by 3, it should provide extra motivation for them to get for a TD if they know they may never get the ball in OT.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"happy" wrote:
    Its kind of messed up only one team gets the ball if they score first.

But I will say this. I like the urgency it can give teams during the closing minutes of regulation. If a team is down by 3, it should provide extra motivation for them to get for a TD if they know they may never get the ball in OT.
    Or maybe get a defense?
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Texas Viking is offline Starter

I like the current system I guess.
    Maybe they could have a rule where the team’s first possession on OT can’t end on a field goal, so it gives both sides a better chance to handle the ball at least on the first possession but after that a field goal can be used.
    I think if you took field goals away all together in OT you’ll end up having a lot of tie games.
    Or no field goals in the first OT, but you can have additional OT’s and then field goals would count.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast