Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Re: Should ESPN replace Mel Kiper Jr?

He manages to be wrong and when he is wrong he manages to try and blame the team as if they had made a mistake. Years after the decision if it turns out to be great you never hear another word from him, if it doesn't pan out he reminds you when possible.

I'd just as soon mute the TV.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    Is Kiper still effective as an NFL draft analyst?

Has he worn out his welcome?

Could someone do a better job at forecasting and analyzing the NFL draft, for the months leading up to, during, immediately thereafter, and during the following NFL season ........ (OTHER THAN YOU
    : ) ?

???
    Do you have something against posting polls when you do these questions?

As to Kiper - I don't really care what "experts" they have on the broadcast.
    I can't sit there and watch hours and hours of that crap anyway.

=Z=
    In this case, I opted to not make this a poll, partly because the results would be highly stacked against Kiper because nearly every fan has some preconceived notion of who their favorite team should draft.
    Kiper is arrogant in some situations, so he goes against common opinion JUST TO BE CONTROVERSIAL and attract attention so as to sell ad space / time.

So, I didn't think a simple poll would tell us anything new or interesting.

I also thought that opinions with substantiation would be more interesting than reading poll results that say 75% of fans want to see someone new in place of Kiper.

I'll also add that the threads FOR (or against) drafting Quinn, Johnson, Landry, Peterson, Meachem, Bowe, etc. indicate that many Viking fans will disagree with Kiper simply because he picked someone else for the Vikings slot at 7.

I am trying to discern whether or not Kiper is doing a good job, and posts with explanations will indicate whether the respondents are basing their opinion on a conflict between their favorite and Kipers selection for the Vikings, or, better, Kiper's reasoning and reasonableness independent of selection differences.
    IOW, I want to see who feels Kiper is doing a good ananlytic job, rather than matching / sharing their opinion.

I'm with Purplexing on this.....polls are great if you just want to know numbers and nothing else, but they're pretty useless if you want to know the reasoning behind the numbers.

As for Kiper.....he has a good knowledge of the players, yes...but does anyone know what his average percentage of accuracy is for the first round?
    I'd be surprised if it's even as high as 50%.

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

"renovikesfan" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:

Could someone do a better job at forecasting and analyzing the NFL draft, for the months leading up to, during, immediately thereafter, and during the following NFL season ........ (OTHER THAN YOU

???

=Z=
    In this case, I opted to not make this a poll, partly because the results would be highly stacked against Kiper because nearly every fan has some preconceived notion of who their favorite team should draft.
    Kiper is arrogant in some situations, so he goes against common opinion JUST TO BE CONTROVERSIAL and attract attention so as to sell ad space / time.

I also thought that opinions with substantiation would be more interesting than reading poll results that say 75% of fans want to see someone new in place of Kiper.

I'll also add that the threads FOR (or against) drafting Quinn, Johnson, Landry, Peterson, Meachem, Bowe, etc. indicate that many Viking fans will disagree with Kiper simply because he picked someone else for the Vikings slot at 7.

I am trying to discern whether or not Kiper is doing a good job, and posts with explanations will indicate whether the respondents are basing their opinion on a conflict between their favorite and Kipers selection for the Vikings, or, better, Kiper's reasoning and reasonableness independent of selection differences.
    IOW, I want to see who feels Kiper is doing a good ananlytic job, rather than matching / sharing their opinion.

I'm with Purplexing on this.....polls are great if you just want to know numbers and nothing else, but they're pretty useless if you want to know the reasoning behind the numbers.

As for Kiper.....he has a good knowledge of the players, yes...but does anyone know what his average percentage of accuracy is for the first round?

Simply having a poll doesn't keep people from discussing. It just provides another form of data to look at.

Usually polls on here have plenty of discussion in the text blocks. So I don't really see the issue. It makes it easy to look up and see where people stand then if you so choose you can read why they chose that.

Having one does not keep the other from happening. In fact if all someone wanted to do was vote yes or no, chances are they wouldn't bother posting in your thread anyway. The people that care enough to comment will always post.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

I am alright with him especially since he is a Vikings fan.
    He confirmed so when we lost Mike Nugent to the Jets a couple years back.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:

???

=Z=
    :

Looks like the thread turned out fine without one.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

"Del" wrote:
    "renovikesfan" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:

???

=Z=

Simply having a poll doesn't keep people from discussing. It just provides another form of data to look at.

Usually polls on here have plenty of discussion in the text blocks. So I don't really see the issue. It makes it easy to look up and see where people stand then if you so choose you can read why they chose that.

Having one does not keep the other from happening. In fact if all someone wanted to do was vote yes or no, chances are they wouldn't bother posting in your thread anyway. The people that care enough to comment will always post.
    True.

I'll look for a way to edit this to include a poll.
    If not, then, NEXT time, I'll remember the PPO Jeopardy rule: always present your question on a subjective, concise issue in the form of a poll.
    ;D

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah...they need to kick him to the curb...and Kornholer with him!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I have never liked him. In fact my favorite all time draft moment was when he questioned the Colts GM about 15 years ago about their pick and the GM just ripped him a new butthole. That exchange was priceless and I keep hoping they will replay it every draft, which they never do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12