Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should ESPN replace Mel Kiper Jr?

Is Kiper still effective as an NFL draft analyst?

Has he worn out his welcome?

Could someone do a better job at forecasting and analyzing the NFL draft, for the months leading up to, during, immediately thereafter, and during the following NFL season ........ (OTHER THAN YOU
    : ) ?
    ???
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Should ESPN replace Mel Kiper Jr?

"Purplexing" wrote:

Could someone do a better job at forecasting and analyzing the NFL draft, for the months leading up to, during, immediately thereafter, and during the following NFL season ........ (OTHER THAN YOU

???
    Do you have something against posting polls when you do these questions?

As to Kiper - I don't really care what "experts" they have on the broadcast.
    I can't sit there and watch hours and hours of that crap anyway.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I like Moyak (sp) on NFL network better, but don't really mind him.

He like all draft nicks have thier opinions on what talent is and what team they should go to.

For me, I like to read/listen to multiple takes on a player, trade, selection so that I can figure out what is gonna happen in the draft.

OF COURSE, I am usually wrong, but love to do it.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

No preferance for Kiper for or against.
    As long as Chris Berman is there I am content.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:

???

=Z=
    In this case, I opted to not make this a poll, partly because the results would be highly stacked against Kiper because nearly every fan has some preconceived notion of who their favorite team should draft.
    Kiper is arrogant in some situations, so he goes against common opinion JUST TO BE CONTROVERSIAL and attract attention so as to sell ad space / time.
    So, I didn't think a simple poll would tell us anything new or interesting.

I also thought that opinions with substantiation would be more interesting than reading poll results that say 75% of fans want to see someone new in place of Kiper.

I'll also add that the threads FOR (or against) drafting Quinn, Johnson, Landry, Peterson, Meachem, Bowe, etc. indicate that many Viking fans will disagree with Kiper simply because he picked someone else for the Vikings slot at 7.

I am trying to discern whether or not Kiper is doing a good job, and posts with explanations will indicate whether the respondents are basing their opinion on a conflict between their favorite and Kipers selection for the Vikings, or, better, Kiper's reasoning and reasonableness independent of selection differences.
    IOW, I want to see who feels Kiper is doing a good ananlytic job, rather than matching / sharing their opinion.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:

???

=Z=

I Tivo it.

I can watch the first 6 hours of the draft in about 45 minutes.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

They can let Kiper go any time they want, but they have his hair under contract for the next 6 years.

A few, but not all, of my thoughts on Kiper...

He does a great job on the analytic end, as he knows a lot about the players.

He does a fair to poor, but sometimes good, job of predicting which teams need what player / position.
    He could do better if he invited someone else into his operation to study and contact NFL teams to project their draft strategy. NFL teams will not disclose their strategies, but an analyst who follows a local team could be part of a network of a dozen reporters who could develop a consensus report that would supplement Kiper's analysis of the players.

So, ESPN should supplement Kiper with a few reporters; e.g. one for each of the 8 divisions, who study the NFL teams needs and personnel approaches.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Purplexing" wrote:
    A few, but not all, of my thoughts on Kiper...

He does a great job on the analytic end, as he knows a lot about the players.

He does a fair to poor, but sometimes good, job of predicting which teams need what player / position.
    He could do better if he invited someone else into his operation to study and contact NFL teams to project their draft strategy. NFL teams will not disclose their strategies, but an analyst who follows a local team could be part of a network of a dozen reporters who could develop a consensus report that would supplement Kiper's analysis of the players.

So, ESPN should supplement Kiper with a few reporters; e.g. one for each of the 8 divisions, who study the NFL teams needs and personnel approaches.
    That is kind of y take on it as well.
    I actually think he does a decent job evaluating the players, but has shortcomings when trying to predict team needs.
    Plus, he doesn't do a good job IMHO of looking at a team's past draft strategies when predicting what they will do in the current year.
    Especially when looking in the top ten picks, where team needs vs BPA is a huge deal.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"josdin00" wrote:
    They can let Kiper go any time they want, but they have his hair under contract for the next 6 years.
    I bet that thing on his head covers a massive bald spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast