Prophet Guest

Shaun not an MVP in his hometown

POSTED 9:39 a.m. EDT, July 12, 2006

SHAUN NOT AN MVP IN HIS HOMETOWN
    Mike Florio

At a time when Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander is basking in the spotlight that comes from being the NFL's MVP, playing in the Super Bowl, landing a huge offseason payday, and serving as the cover boy for the soon-to-be-released Madden offering, there's evidence that reminds us of his reputation for being a selfish, me-first/me-only punk.

On Tuesday, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported that a YMCA purchased last year by Alexander in his hometown of Florence, Kentucky is in serious disrepair. When Alexander paid $1.8 million for the property in 2005, he said that he planned to put a community center there. Alexander conducted a ceremonial groundbreaking at the scene, promising to install a weight room, an indoor soccer field, and a game room.

"I've been blessed with great mentors that have taught me a lot about football, life and who I am," Shaun Alexander after bidding to buy the center in 2004. "I want to provide the same thing to the next generation."

Instead, he's provided the next generation with an eyesore.

"I'm sickened by the condition they have allowed this place to end up in," Florence mayor Diane Whalen told the Enquirer. "It's an unfulfilled promise. I hope it's not a broken promise, but it's pretty mangled."

There are busted windows, graffiti, and trash. The property was cited on Monday for five code violations.

Alexander's brother, Durran, acknowledged the problem: "Unfortunately, we do have some kids who are skateboarding back there," he said. "We don't have security cameras and that kind of stuff, so you're always going to get some punk kids or some gangs that want to go back there. I guess it's their turf now."

Great attitude, Durran. Why not focus instead on getting your brother to cough up some of that $63 million contract he received earlier this year to fix the situation?

Indeed, what was Alexander thinking when he plunked down $1.8 million for the center? That elves would arrive in the dark of night to take care of the property?

It's no wonder that so many NFL players have no money after their careers are over; too many of them don't know how to properly position it during their careers. In this case, it looks like Alexander realized at some point after his initial seven-figure investment that it was going to cost him a lot more money going forward, so he's dragging his feet.

Way to give back, Shaun. Way to give back.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Shaun not an MVP in his hometown

That is embarrassing, maybe you should have thought it through before you made promises in a speech. The city should sue him for repairs to the property and the cost of maintaining it.

Sounds like his brother is an idiot!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Shaun not an MVP in his hometown

DUMB BASSES!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE