singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Shaun Hill signs with 49ers. Is Pickett walking the fence?

Article Last Updated: 06/06/2006 02:41:21 AM PDT

[size=18px]Hill's arrival puts Pickett on fence[/size]

By Roger Phillips, STAFF WRITER

SANTA CLARA — Shaun Hill is a four-year veteran quarterback who had never taken an NFL snap until he was called upon to twice take a knee in the Minnesota Vikings' finale last season.

But upon announcing his signing Monday, San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan said the 26-year-old Hill will challenge to be either the backup or the third-stringer behind starter Alex Smith.

All of this brings us to Cody Pickett, who clings to his goal of being an NFL quarterback even in the presence of this latest in a series of obstacles.

In addition to the Hill signing, the 49ers in recent months traded for an experienced backup, Trent Dilfer, and signed another reserve, Jesse Palmer.

Additionally, there were reports earlier in the off-season that the organization was disappointed when Pickett did not play this season in NFL Europe.

Nolan distanced himself from those reports Monday, but indicated that Pickett's future with the 49ers will be as a special-teams player and a receiver. Pickett played on special teams in three games last season.

Asked if the plans for Pickett are a sign that he has no future with the 49ers as a quarterback, Nolan said, "I don't know that. But it would be difficult here right now."

Pickett has not appeared in a game since starting at quarterback in a loss at Chicago last November. He completed only one pass in the 47-mph wind in Chicago, and finished last season with a dismal 28.3 passer rating.

While still willing to work as a receiver and on punt-coverage, Pickett insists he believes he can make it as a quarterback. The addition of Hill is just one more hill to climb.

"You can't worry about that stuff," Pickett said. "Competition brings out the best in everybody. ... If they want me to play quarterback, I'll play quarterback. If they want me to play special teams, I'll play that. If it's receiver, if it's left tackle, whatever it is, I'm going to try to compete and do my best at it."

Hill's arrival puts Pickett on fence

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Shaun Hill signs with 49ers. Is Pickett walking the fence?

Ya gotta feel bad for Pickett. He played alright when he came in for the Niners this past year, and with a little work I think he'd be better than Hill. Hill hasn't even taken an NFL snap!

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

I really don't know how to feel about it, because I really never got an idea of how good or bad Shaun Hill was. Maybe he will be the next Tom Brady
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    Ya gotta feel bad for Pickett. He played alright when he came in for the Niners this past year, and with a little work I think he'd be better than Hill. Hill hasn't even taken an NFL snap!
    He took a knee twice in the last game of the season in Minnesota against the Bears.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    He took a knee twice in the last game of the season in Minnesota against the Bears.
    He was the last quarterback to play in the Tice era. Poor Tice came in with Spergon Wynn and left with Shaun Hill.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Yep... Hill could take a heck of a knee :lol:

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    My cousin and I were chanting for Hill to get some real snaps (from the 2nd deck) starting early in the 3rd quarter. Tice, in a meaningless game, keeping Hill on the bench until he could take 2 kneel-downs with only seconds in the game was classless. He should have had him play the entire 4th quarter.

We tried to call KFAN to drunkenly complain about that after the game - but for some reason, the news took a different slant....

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!