Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 116
  1. #21
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "HuRRiiCaNe22" wrote:
    He didn't fit with our schemes. He is a playmaker and our safeties just sit back so nothing deep can happen.
    really? because I've seen alot happen deep.
    No shit.

    Funny how a playmaker doesn't fit our schemes but someone who can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers apparently does. Great scheme.

  2. #22
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "HuRRiiCaNe22" wrote:
    He didn't fit with our schemes. He is a playmaker and our safeties just sit back so nothing deep can happen.
    really? because I've seen alot happen deep.
    No shit.

    Funny how a playmaker doesn't fit our schemes but someone who can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers apparently does. Great scheme.
    Darren "Playmaker" Sharper, 2008: 32 years old, 16 games, 69 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 32 year old free agent who was not producing.

    Tyrell "Can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers" Johnson, 2008: 22 years old, 7 games, 31 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 23 year old second year player, second round draft pick.


    What's not to understand here? We let the older, more expensive player go for the young talent who was outproducing him. Sure Sharper's having a great year now, and Johnson's not playing great football(but still more productive as Sharper was last season) but that's totally irrelevant to us now. He proved he doesn't produce in the cover 2, there was absolutely no justification for keeping him around. Him playing well now is irrelevant to the Minnesota Vikings. We were right to let him go, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

  3. #23
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    "Mr" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "HuRRiiCaNe22" wrote:
    He didn't fit with our schemes. He is a playmaker and our safeties just sit back so nothing deep can happen.
    really? because I've seen alot happen deep.
    No shit.

    Funny how a playmaker doesn't fit our schemes but someone who can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers apparently does. Great scheme.
    Darren "Playmaker" Sharper, 2008: 32 years old, 16 games, 69 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 32 year old free agent who was not producing.

    Tyrell "Can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers" Johnson, 2008: 22 years old, 7 games, 31 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 23 year old second year player, second round draft pick.


    What's not to understand here? We let the older, more expensive player go for the young talent who was outproducing him. Sure Sharper's having a great year now, and Johnson's not playing great football(but still more productive as Sharper was last season) but that's totally irrelevant to us now. He proved he doesn't produce in the cover 2, there was absolutely no justification for keeping him around. Him playing well now is irrelevant to the Minnesota Vikings. We were right to let him go, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
    You are right, somebody is delusional but it isn't me.

    We have one player who this season has 1 INT and 31 tackles in 7 games and another who has 22 tackles and 6 Int's with 3 for TD's in 6 games. If you take 1 int over 6 yielding 18 points then you need to turn your abacus around.

    You can also look back at his time here and see that while last year was a down year in INT's, his previous totals were 4,4 and 9. That is far and above anything we are getting out of anybody on the roster. I don't dislike Johnson and he might end up being great, but my opinion is you keep your core guys until a better player takes their spot. At this point that would not happen.

    In your reference to Sharper not producing in the cover 2, he did have 17 int's in the 3 seasons before last so it isn't like he was playing backgammon out there on the field. In the end it still comes down to the scheme. Why the hell would you get rid of a great player because he doesn't fit "The Scheme" if "The Scheme" is the real issue. Obviously nobody else that has been put in it has fared any better, which tells me they would be better off with a different "Scheme". Preferably one that doesn't make below average QB's like Shawn Hill look like Joe Montana


  4. #24
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "HuRRiiCaNe22" wrote:
    He didn't fit with our schemes. He is a playmaker and our safeties just sit back so nothing deep can happen.
    really? because I've seen alot happen deep.
    No shit.

    Funny how a playmaker doesn't fit our schemes but someone who can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers apparently does. Great scheme.
    Darren "Playmaker" Sharper, 2008: 32 years old, 16 games, 69 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 32 year old free agent who was not producing.

    Tyrell "Can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers" Johnson, 2008: 22 years old, 7 games, 31 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 23 year old second year player, second round draft pick.


    What's not to understand here? We let the older, more expensive player go for the young talent who was outproducing him. Sure Sharper's having a great year now, and Johnson's not playing great football(but still more productive as Sharper was last season) but that's totally irrelevant to us now. He proved he doesn't produce in the cover 2, there was absolutely no justification for keeping him around. Him playing well now is irrelevant to the Minnesota Vikings. We were right to let him go, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
    You are right, somebody is delusional but it isn't me.

    We have one player who this season has 1 INT and 31 tackles in 7 games and another who has 22 tackles and 6 Int's with 3 for TD's in 6 games. If you take 1 int over 6 yielding 18 points then you need to turn your abacus around.

    You can also look back at his time here and see that while last year was a down year in INT's, his previous totals were 4,4 and 9. That is far and above anything we are getting out of anybody on the roster. I don't dislike Johnson and he might end up being great, but my opinion is you keep your core guys until a better player takes their spot. At this point that would not happen.

    In your reference to Sharper not producing in the cover 2, he did have 17 int's in the 3 seasons before last so it isn't like he was playing backgammon out there on the field. In the end it still comes down to the scheme. Why the hell would you get rid of a great player because he doesn't fit "The Scheme" if "The Scheme" is the real issue. Obviously nobody else that has been put in it has fared any better, which tells me they would be better off with a different "Scheme". Preferably one that doesn't make below average QB's like Shawn Hill look like Joe Montana

    9 of his interceptions in the three year stretch you speak of came in 2005, before Childress, Tomlin, and the Cover 2. So really, he had 8 in the two years. And his current statistics are still irrelevant.

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I said two years ago that the best thing the team could do is to trade culpepper,moss and bennett and get players that showed up to work on Sunday. Now it is time to see if we can find the right replacements.

  5. #25
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    "Mr" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=HuRRiiCaNe22 link=topic=53933.msg1011827#msg1011827 date=1257009903]
    He didn't fit with our schemes. He is a playmaker and our safeties just sit back so nothing deep can happen.
    really? because I've seen alot happen deep.
    No shit.

    Funny how a playmaker doesn't fit our schemes but someone who can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers apparently does. Great scheme.
    Darren "Playmaker" Sharper, 2008: 32 years old, 16 games, 69 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 32 year old free agent who was not producing.

    Tyrell "Can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers" Johnson, 2008: 22 years old, 7 games, 31 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 23 year old second year player, second round draft pick.


    What's not to understand here? We let the older, more expensive player go for the young talent who was outproducing him. Sure Sharper's having a great year now, and Johnson's not playing great football(but still more productive as Sharper was last season) but that's totally irrelevant to us now. He proved he doesn't produce in the cover 2, there was absolutely no justification for keeping him around. Him playing well now is irrelevant to the Minnesota Vikings. We were right to let him go, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
    You are right, somebody is delusional but it isn't me.

    We have one player who this season has 1 INT and 31 tackles in 7 games and another who has 22 tackles and 6 Int's with 3 for TD's in 6 games. If you take 1 int over 6 yielding 18 points then you need to turn your abacus around.

    You can also look back at his time here and see that while last year was a down year in INT's, his previous totals were 4,4 and 9. That is far and above anything we are getting out of anybody on the roster. I don't dislike Johnson and he might end up being great, but my opinion is you keep your core guys until a better player takes their spot. At this point that would not happen.

    In your reference to Sharper not producing in the cover 2, he did have 17 int's in the 3 seasons before last so it isn't like he was playing backgammon out there on the field. In the end it still comes down to the scheme. Why the hell would you get rid of a great player because he doesn't fit "The Scheme" if "The Scheme" is the real issue. Obviously nobody else that has been put in it has fared any better, which tells me they would be better off with a different "Scheme". Preferably one that doesn't make below average QB's like Shawn Hill look like Joe Montana

    9 of his interceptions in the three year stretch you speak of came in 2005, before Childress, Tomlin, and the Cover 2. So really, he had 8 in the two years. And his current statistics are still irrelevant.

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I said two years ago that the best thing the team could do is to trade culpepper,moss and bennett and get players that showed up to work on Sunday. Now it is time to see if we can find the right replacements.
    [/quote]

    They are not irrelevant. They clearly show that he can be productive if put in the right situation so there is relevance. Had he signed with the Saints and put up equal or lesser stats than his replacement.

    As to your last quote, that took some serious dredging to bring up and I am not sure how it reinforces anything.
    But next time make sure you provide enough of it to retain the context of the whole post.

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:


    When I will feel the changes were worth it will be when, even if we are sub-500 we go up against a team that is rated better than ours and through planning by the coaches and determination by the players, the vikings win some games they never should have won, and also when we play a team we are truely better than, we stomp them to the ground and beat them to submission. Then I will be convinced that the team has turned over a new leaf. Until then it's still the same old team.

  6. #26
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,906

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    Some people just can't admit that they were wrong about Sharper.

  7. #27
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Some people just can't admit that they were wrong about Sharper.

    Lol he only has what 7 picks?

    I think the Vikes as a whole have 7

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Anyone notice our Run defense has dropped off since we lost the guy that lost a step.
    He is making a lot of PPO posters eat raw, cold crow this season. Wish we had some Vet play in the secondary.
    LOL, keep on trying my friend.
    You might even convince yourself we miss him.
    You happen to notice who are tied at number 4 on the Vikes with tackles (34) while ole Sharp has only 26.


    Bring another tact if you want us to eat crow, but don't try to make it out like we miss him in the run support area.

    http://www.nfl.com/players/darrensha...e?id=SHA500479
    http://www.nfl.com/teams/minnesotavi...stics?team=MIN
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Some people just can't admit that they were wrong about Sharper.
    Hey Kevon.
    If we were so wrong, why didn't he produce INT's like that when he was here.
    Again, keep on trying, you might even convince yourself the the drivel you are spewing is accurate.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=53933.msg1011828#msg1011828 date=1257009942]
    [quote author=HuRRiiCaNe22 link=topic=53933.msg1011827#msg1011827 date=1257009903]
    He didn't fit with our schemes. He is a playmaker and our safeties just sit back so nothing deep can happen.
    really? because I've seen alot happen deep.
    No pooh.

    Funny how a playmaker doesn't fit our schemes but someone who can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers apparently does. Great scheme.
    Darren "Playmaker" Sharper, 2008: 32 years old, 16 games, 69 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 32 year old free agent who was not producing.

    Tyrell "Can't tackle and isn't creating turnovers" Johnson, 2008: 22 years old, 7 games, 31 tackles, 1 interception.
    Going into the offseason: 23 year old second year player, second round draft pick.


    What's not to understand here? We let the older, more expensive player go for the young talent who was outproducing him. Sure Sharper's having a great year now, and Johnson's not playing great football(but still more productive as Sharper was last season) but that's totally irrelevant to us now. He proved he doesn't produce in the cover 2, there was absolutely no justification for keeping him around. Him playing well now is irrelevant to the Minnesota Vikings. We were right to let him go, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
    You are right, somebody is delusional but it isn't me.

    We have one player who this season has 1 INT and 31 tackles in 7 games and another who has 22 tackles and 6 Int's with 3 for TD's in 6 games. If you take 1 int over 6 yielding 18 points then you need to turn your abacus around.

    You can also look back at his time here and see that while last year was a down year in INT's, his previous totals were 4,4 and 9. That is far and above anything we are getting out of anybody on the roster. I don't dislike Johnson and he might end up being great, but my opinion is you keep your core guys until a better player takes their spot. At this point that would not happen.

    In your reference to Sharper not producing in the cover 2, he did have 17 int's in the 3 seasons before last so it isn't like he was playing backgammon out there on the field. In the end it still comes down to the scheme. Why the hell would you get rid of a great player because he doesn't fit "The Scheme" if "The Scheme" is the real issue. Obviously nobody else that has been put in it has fared any better, which tells me they would be better off with a different "Scheme". Preferably one that doesn't make below average QB's like Shawn Hill look like Joe Montana

    9 of his interceptions in the three year stretch you speak of came in 2005, before Childress, Tomlin, and the Cover 2. So really, he had 8 in the two years. And his current statistics are still irrelevant.

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I said two years ago that the best thing the team could do is to trade culpepper,moss and bennett and get players that showed up to work on Sunday. Now it is time to see if we can find the right replacements.
    [/quote]

    They are not irrelevant. They clearly show that he can be productive if put in the right situation so there is relevance. Had he signed with the Saints and put up equal or lesser stats than his replacement.

    As to your last quote, that took some serious dredging to bring up and I am not sure how it reinforces anything.
    But next time make sure you provide enough of it to retain the context of the whole post.

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:


    When I will feel the changes were worth it will be when, even if we are sub-500 we go up against a team that is rated better than ours and through planning by the coaches and determination by the players, the vikings win some games they never should have won, and also when we play a team we are truely better than, we stomp them to the ground and beat them to submission. Then I will be convinced that the team has turned over a new leaf. Until then it's still the same old team.
    [/quote]
    So your whole point of discussion is that he can produce if put in the right situation.
    Lets think about that for one second......

    The right situation = Something other than a cover 2.

    If we get rid of the cover 2, we need to get rid of Whinny.
    He surely doesn't fit any other scheme that a cover 2.
    Cat is at his best when he hands his guy off and then crashes down in run support.
    Whinny over Sharp......Yea I want Sharp.

    We would have to get rid of our LB'rs as well.
    They are built to get out into space and fly to the ball, just as our CB's are.
    And because our CB's now aren't able to help out in run support, we would need to bring in some bigger, stronger, slower guys who would then help out in run support only instead of being able to drop back into coverage or blitz the QB.
    Greenway, Leber, EJ over Sharp......Yea I want Sharp......

    Defensive Coordinator.
    Surely we would have to get rid of Leslie as well seeings how he is a Cover 2 kindof coach.
    Probably not the best IMHO but surely worth revisiting getting rid of over Sharp.....Leslie over Sharp.....Yea I want Sharp.

    Seriously My Farvish Friend.
    Most of his production has come either before (GB/Pre-Chiller) or after (Saints) were he was allowed to roam the center of the field. He didn't fit the scheme and you don't just change the scheme without the trickledown affect of what it means to the players (who fit the scheme) on the roster.

    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sharper a Sharp-Dressed Man
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 08:35 AM
  2. Vote for D Sharp
    By cc21 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 10:32 AM
  3. D SHARP PICK!!!
    By hailtocarter in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 10:32 PM
  4. D. Sharp
    By cc21 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 07:26 AM
  5. jamie sharper and darren sharper brothers?
    By magicci in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 08:25 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •