Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Obviously Sharper was the heart of our defense.
    :
    Obviously, you don't respect what a good safety can do for a defense. It's hard to understand you speaking while you have your foot in your mouth. Go back and watch the last 5 mins of the Ravens game and then come back enlightened.
    There's nothing unclear about what I said.

And don't try to say I don't know what a safety can do for the defense when you're the one claiming Sharper's departure is what lead to the weakening of our run defense. That's a ridiculous claim.

We let a 32 year old injury prone, underproducing safety go because we had a 23 year old 2nd round draft pick, who can only get better, and who put up better numbers in less games to replace him. If that's not justification for replacing him, nothing is.

He didn't fit here, there's a reason we let him go. If you were the coach or GM I know he'd still be on the team, fortunately for the fans you're not or we'd certainly not be 6-1, and fortunately for your would-be colleagues you're not or they'd have to smell the Sharper taint sweat on your breath all day.

Oh great bodhisatva, please expose me to the truth. I can feel we are entering a new age of enlightenment and you're the guiding light!

:

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I think some of the people here that wanted him to stay just want to rub it in and really don't care how he does

Who cares man.. I dont follow players after they leave.. If they do good.. Well good.. I have a team to cheer for not a player on another team

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Wasn't like the vikings were the only team that didn't want him. He's 33 years old. He did end up signing a 1 year deal for about 1.7 million, but I bet he was asking for more from the Vikings.
    An interesting outside perspective from Rotoworld.com.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=nfl&id=1814

Darren Sharper-DB - Saints Mar. 5 - 7:37 pm et

The Bears are reportedly no longer interested in free agent S Darren Sharper.
    This is somewhat surprising considering he was scheduled to meet with the Bears next. The Saints remain Sharper's most likely future home, though the Falcons may also have interest.
    Source: Chicago Tribune
    Darren Sharper-DB - Saints Mar. 16 - 7:19 pm et

Saints coach Sean Payton expects to hear back from free agent SS Darren Sharper within the next two weeks.
    New Orleans is going to have to make a contract offer first. Sharper visited the team last week but received no proposal. He isn't getting interest elsewhere, but the sides can't come to terms without a contract.
    Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Darren Sharper-DB - Saints Mar. 18 - 6:32 pm et
    Saints signed FS Darren Sharper, formerly of the Vikings.
    Free safety has been a trouble area in New Orleans since Sean Payton took over as coach. It's just hard to imagine Sharper being the answer. There's a reason nobody else gave the 33-year-old a serious look and he's no longer a playmaker. Sharper brings some leadership, but coordinator Gregg Williams will have to generate more pass rush for this defense to truly improve.
    Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune
    Darren Sharper-DB - Saints Apr. 6 - 8:06 pm et

Darren Sharper's contract with the Saints is only for one year and has a max worth of $1.7 million.
    Sharper is a good bet to make the Week 1 roster, but New Orleans has little tied up in him. He only got $200K to sign and can earn $500K in in-season bonuses. The Saints won't hesitate to draft a safety to start over him.
    Usama Young-DB - Saints May. 22 - 10:59 am et

Usama Young, recently converted from cornerback, is competing for the starting free safety job.
    Young is said to have made a seamless transition to safety, but he'll have to beat out 33-year-old vet Darren Sharper for the starting job. Strong safety Roman Harper is expected to blitz more under new DC Gregg Williams, so the free will play more of a straight center field role.
    Source: Biloxi Sun Herald

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

So Sharper was vilified for being out of position and for missing tackles but in his absence the safeties are doing the same things this year only not as well and his productivity has increased dramatically on a new team in a new scheme. I guess it is pretty clear to me where the fault lies and it isn't with the player.

I think if you look at what Williams did in Cincy and what his production has been since coming here his productivity has also declined as a Viking. That is on the coaches and the way they position the players and how they utilize the talent they have, not on the players themselves. This cover 2 version sucks at defending the pass(What a secondary should have as a primary responsibility) and they need to tweak it if the team is going to be a champion.

I remember hearing how signing Jared Allen was going to make the secondary look so much better because of the pressure the line would put on the QB. We are certainly seeing the pressure on the QB but they are still completing large amounts of passes and getting big play completions due to breakdowns in the secondary. The throws under pressure should result in incompletion's, throw aways and INT's instead of long rambling TD's due to out of position players and piss poor tackling.

HuRRiiCaNe22 is offline Waterboy

He didn't fit with our schemes. He is a playmaker and our safeties just sit back so nothing deep can happen.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"HuRRiiCaNe22" wrote:
    He didn't fit with our schemes. He is a playmaker and our safeties just sit back so nothing deep can happen.
    really? because I've seen alot happen deep.

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

At the time I didn't want to get rid of Sharper but I am a fan of Tyrell Johnson and think he will improve.
    I think our linebackers are a major reason for the drop off in rush defense.
    Chad Greenway leads the league in missed tackles and the Vikings are 31st in the league in missed tackles.
    We have seen EJ Henderson and Ben Leber shoot the wrong gaps resulting in easy runs for 10+ yards.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Yfz01" wrote:
    At the time I didn't want to get rid of Sharper but I am a fan of Tyrell Johnson and think he will improve.
    Chad Greenway leads the league in missed tackles and the Vikings are 31st in the league in missed tackles.
    We have seen EJ Henderson and Ben Leber shoot the wrong gaps resulting in easy runs for 10+ yards.
    where did you find this stat about Chad?

Also, don't be so fast to blame the linebackers, its asking an awful lot from them to cover 40 yards down field, like we seem to be doing.

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Yfz01" wrote:
    where did you find this stat about Chad?

Also, don't be so fast to blame the linebackers, its asking an awful lot from them to cover 40 yards down field, like we seem to be doing.
    http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_13677406
    I read an article about it today.
    I'm not talking about the LB'ers in coverage but they have been shooting gaps (Henderson, Leber) and missing tackles.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Steelers linebackers Lamarr Woodley and James Harrison were not fined for hard hits on Favre.

Haha gotta love it

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast