Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Sharper looking sharp as ever at age 33

"midgensa" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Has a safety ever won it?

If Sharper gets another TD or 2 or he will be up in the running.. Dudes ballin right now
    Won MVP? No ... won defensive player of the year? Yes.

There have only been TWO defensive players to win MVP ... Alan Page and Lawrence Taylor (one kicker two, Mark Moseley)

As for Defensive Player of the Year ... Safeties have won 4 times: Dick Anderson in '73, Kenny Easley in '84, Ed Reed in '04 and Bob Sanders in '07.

Thanks bro im drunk

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V4L" wrote:
    Thanks bro im drunk
    When aren't you drunk?
    ;D ;D ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    A lot of us were criticized for saying that Tyrell could not fill Sharper's shoes. Looks like we were right.
    I dunno.
    According to PPO, he's missing tackles and not making picks.
    Seems like Sharper's shoes fit him to a T.

=Z=
    Makes you think... maybe it's the scheme.

I keep hearing people say good coaches use their players' strength to their advantage. Apparently, we couldn't do that with Sharper, who is having an All-Pro year. Why would we be able to do it with Tyrell?
    So if we have 1 player that doesn't fit the scheme and 10 that do...you suggest we still change the scheme?
    Or are you grasping again to discredit Childress?

This scheme may limit what a S can and cannot do regarding coverage and INTs...but it sure as hell doesn't excuse them from the missed tackles.
    Players learn to tackle at 6 years old.
    Yes!

This doesn't have to be binary. In no way do I suggest having a scheme that fits 1 player but not the 10 others. I am saying that I would hope that the coaches could come up with a scheme that fits all 11 players. If that is too much to ask, fine, but I don't believe it is.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    A lot of us were criticized for saying that Tyrell could not fill Sharper's shoes. Looks like we were right.
    I dunno.
    According to PPO, he's missing tackles and not making picks.
    Seems like Sharper's shoes fit him to a T.

=Z=
    Makes you think... maybe it's the scheme.

I keep hearing people say good coaches use their players' strength to their advantage. Apparently, we couldn't do that with Sharper, who is having an All-Pro year. Why would we be able to do it with Tyrell?
    So if we have 1 player that doesn't fit the scheme and 10 that do...you suggest we still change the scheme?
    Or are you grasping again to discredit Childress?

This scheme may limit what a S can and cannot do regarding coverage and INTs...but it sure as hell doesn't excuse them from the missed tackles.
    Players learn to tackle at 6 years old.
    I don't understand all this scheme talk. Don't are safeties just sit back there anyways. Good god I rarely ever see any of those 2 in any plays. What is so hard about letting Sharper roam back there? I just don't get it.

"marstc09" wrote:
    I don't understand all this scheme talk. Don't are safeties just sit back there anyways. Good god I rarely ever see any of those 2 in any plays. What is so hard about letting Sharper roam back there? I just don't get it.
    The scheme talk is basically referring to the Vikings cover 2 system.
    When using the cover 2, the deep part of the field is essentially divided in half, with one safety covering one side and the other safety the other.
    This obviously gives less ground to cover than having a single safety covering the entire field while the other is playing up against the run or covering a TE man-to-man (for example).
    It therefore should make it a little easier to cut out the deep pass.

But for a player like Sharper, it also gives them less freedom to read the offense and go to where he thinks the ball is going to be.
    For example, if Sharper were assigned the left side of the field and he reads the formation or the QBs eyes and thinks that the ball is going to the right side of the field, he would still need to stay home and maintain his responsibility until the ball is in the air.
    In New Orleans right now he is essentially allowed to roam and to go where he thinks the ball will be.
    One other critique that Sharper has had is that it makes it easy for the QB to read the play when the safeties are in a strict cover 2, because he knows where they will be.
    Sharper may theoretically go anywhere on a given play in his current system.

This is obviously a generalization.
    The Vikings don't always run a cover 2 scheme, and the Saints give Sharper certain responsibilities on many plays, whether covering man-to-man or playing in a specified zone.
    Every team runs a variety of defenses and coverages throughout a game and dependent on the situation.
    But in general, the Saints allow Sharper to freelance a bit more.

I don't know if one is better than the other, but Sharper thinks his skills fit better in a system where he is allowed to roam.
    I tend to agree, since his best skills might be in his ability to anticipate a play.

So then the hard part about changing one player in a scheme is that it affects other positions.
    Our cornerbacks are allowed to play differently because they will have safety help.
    It is my impression that the Vikings use a lot of the Tampa 2, which calls for a deep drop from the middle linebacker allowing the cover 2 safeties to actually get further outside, usually on the receiver.
    This theoretically takes pressure off the corners, who can now play a little tighter underneath, inside, and against the run because they know they have safety help outside deep.
    If one safety were suddenly allowed to just roam, you probably would want to put the corners into man coverage or back them off a bit because they wouldn't necessarily have that help behind them.

That's my take anyway.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

This thread makes my giddy with excitement. To be honest, at this point Sharper was better in this scheme that our present safeties. The move to TJ may have been a long term move to get him up to speed as quickly as possible. However, then the move to Favre makes no sense.

I just like coming to this thread to read on back peddling from Sharper's critics last season.
    BTW Birk seems to be doing great(pro bowl season) in Balt....

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112