Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    How so?

I'm actually amazed that Flynn settled with Seattle and for the small contract that he did. What happened to all the big money he was supposed to get? LOL.

Nope, Pete and Flynn were both pretty vocal about the starting job and who's it was. Nobodies. In the end, TJ will wind up starting "AGAIN", just like he did last year.

Maybe I should have waited one more year to make that bet with Caine and EJ.
    Wow. I am amazed. This makes you MORE confident that TJ will be the starter than you were before? You're never going to quit, are you? No matter what happens, you will never give this up. Wow.

The Seahawks are obviously being diplomatic here. You don't sign someone for more money than your current starter is making and then have him be your backup. You just don't. Especially if TJ is himself being paid is "starter money," as you claim he is. If he's getting starter money, what's Flynn getting? And even if Flynn is simply being signed to "compete" with him, a team doesn't sign someone to "compete" with their starter if they have confidence that he can be the guy. Either way, this signing makes it abundantly clear that the Seahawks' front office doesn't share your high opinion of T-Jack. And between you and them, they're the ones whose opinion actually matters.

For that matter, if you're Flynn, you don't sign if you don't think you're at least more likely to be the starter than not. He could have gone to Miami or Jacksonville or any number of places. But he thought he could land the starting job in Seattle, and what's more, Seattle was willing to pay the most to get him. Regardless of whatever words may have been spoken in press conferences, the actions of the relevant parties to this transaction are speaking loudly and clearly. You can continue to plug your ears and shout "LA LA LA LA LA" if you like.
    Last edited by BBQ Platypus; 03-23-2012 at 06:05 AM.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    The only volume this is speaking to is like any team, you need to have 2 good QB's on your roster.

TJ has already proven he can move this team (Charlie got 49 yards out of it once) when the backup couldn't. My guess is that this will be a good competition, but as with Whitehurst, TJ will win out and the Seahawks will pickup where they left off last year. A very young and dangerous team that no one will want to face.
    Charlie got 52 yards out of them, in 6 series. He was replaced in the 2nd Quarter. IIRC, we were told Jackson could go, but they wanted to try and rest his arm....ROFLMAO. Jackson came in and threw for 323 yards that game. An amazing feat for him. He only had 1 Int. Trouble is, he only managed to put 9 points on the board too. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's POINTS you want, right? Not just yards? So, Whitehurst got 3 points out of his 52 yards, and it took Jackson 323 yards to score 9 points.

Hmmm....

That means Whitehurst needed 17.3 yards per point while Jackson needed 35.8 yards per point.

Also, every time Jackson threw for over 300 yards (twice) they lost.
    Jackson had 5 games where he threw for over 200 yards - they lost 2 of those.
    Jackson had 8 games under 200 yards - 2 under 150 yards.

Still want to tout how "productive" Jackson was? A 6 year veteran who failed to generate any real form of offense and who relied on a surging running back and a solid defense to bail him out week after week?

I said a few weeks back that I thought the Seahawks would go after Flynn...and they did. It's worth noting that Flynn's bonus is worth more than Jackson's entire contract. They gave an UNPROVEN guy 10 million guaranteed...they gave future HOF 6-year veteran Jackson a guarantee of 2 mill.

Game. Set. Match.

Caine

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    *snip*
    Game. Set. Match.

Caine
    Responding to him is only going to egg him on.

Even I gave up on Jackson, Marrdro. Move on.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Charlie got 52 yards out of them, in 6 series. He was replaced in the 2nd Quarter. IIRC, we were told Jackson could go, but they wanted to try and rest his arm....ROFLMAO. Jackson came in and threw for 323 yards that game. An amazing feat for him. He only had 1 Int. Trouble is, he only managed to put 9 points on the board too. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's POINTS you want, right? Not just yards? So, Whitehurst got 3 points out of his 52 yards, and it took Jackson 323 yards to score 9 points.

Hmmm....

That means Whitehurst needed 17.3 yards per point while Jackson needed 35.8 yards per point.

Also, every time Jackson threw for over 300 yards (twice) they lost.
    Jackson had 5 games where he threw for over 200 yards - they lost 2 of those.
    Jackson had 8 games under 200 yards - 2 under 150 yards.

Still want to tout how "productive" Jackson was? A 6 year veteran who failed to generate any real form of offense and who relied on a surging running back and a solid defense to bail him out week after week?

I said a few weeks back that I thought the Seahawks would go after Flynn...and they did. It's worth noting that Flynn's bonus is worth more than Jackson's entire contract. They gave an UNPROVEN guy 10 million guaranteed...they gave future HOF 6-year veteran Jackson a guarantee of 2 mill.

Game. Set. Match.

Caine
    Isn't it you that keeps saying that wins and losses are whats important. TJ won, Charlie didn't.......

Keep trying my friend. I submitt to the loss on the bet, but I still say TJ is a viable starter in this league.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Responding to him is only going to egg him on.

Even I gave up on Jackson, Marrdro. Move on.
    .....snicker....you know me to well my friend. But hey, as with you, I enjoy pushing buttons. It makes my day go by faster.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ Platypus View Post
    Wow. I am amazed. This makes you MORE confident that TJ will be the starter than you were before? You're never going to quit, are you? No matter what happens, you will never give this up. Wow.

The Seahawks are obviously being diplomatic here. You don't sign someone for more money than your current starter is making and then have him be your backup. You just don't. Especially if TJ is himself being paid is "starter money," as you claim he is. If he's getting starter money, what's Flynn getting? And even if Flynn is simply being signed to "compete" with him, a team doesn't sign someone to "compete" with their starter if they have confidence that he can be the guy. Either way, this signing makes it abundantly clear that the Seahawks' front office doesn't share your high opinion of T-Jack. And between you and them, they're the ones whose opinion actually matters.

For that matter, if you're Flynn, you don't sign if you don't think you're at least more likely to be the starter than not. He could have gone to Miami or Jacksonville or any number of places. But he thought he could land the starting job in Seattle, and what's more, Seattle was willing to pay the most to get him. Regardless of whatever words may have been spoken in press conferences, the actions of the relevant parties to this transaction are speaking loudly and clearly. You can continue to plug your ears and shout "LA LA LA LA LA" if you like.
    All interesting stuff, but why, then, didn't he take the money as a starter someplace like Miami were they need a starter?

Perhaps even Miami, desparate for a starter, saw Flynn as nothing more than a viable starter and elected to test the market in other ways.

Say I'm plugging my ears, but to me the truth still seems that the Seahawks felt the same way, offered Flynn a small contract to compete with TJ and if he didn't beat him out, still be able to keep him as a viable backup.

Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Anothers failure does not equal his success. There is no way Flynn loses the starting job to TJ. If TJ loses it, will you admit you're wrong? It's incredible this has to be debated anymore. And yah, no one wanted to face the Seahawks and that will continue into this year. They are so dangerous.
    Tell that to the Ravens, Giants, etc.

As to the "no way" statement. Aren't you one of the cats on here who said.....

No way he throws for over 300 yards.
    No way he ever gets a contract.
    No way he is a starter.
    ect ect ect......

Way....my friend....Way.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    All interesting stuff, but why, then, didn't he take the money as a starter someplace like Miami were they need a starter?

Perhaps even Miami, desparate for a starter, saw Flynn as nothing more than a viable starter and elected to test the market in other ways.

Say I'm plugging my ears, but to me the truth still seems that the Seahawks felt the same way, offered Flynn a small contract to compete with TJ and if he didn't beat him out, still be able to keep him as a viable backup.
    Seattle decided their need was greater, and ponied up more money than Miami was willing to. The guy has played in two games - you have to hedge your bets a little when you're getting a guy with that little starting experience. But Seattle decide that what they had was so inadequate that they had to take that risk.

Again, he is being paid MORE MONEY THAN TJ. His BONUS is worth more than TJ's ENTIRE CONTRACT. A contract which you consider to be "starter money." But a quarterback who's getting paid more than that is being paid backup money, or, at best, probable backup money? You may need to explain that to me more clearly, because that doesn't make one goddamned scintilla of sense. The consequences of starting Jackson over Flynn would be disastrous for Seattle, and not just because they'd have to suffer through another year of a QB who's never going to be great. If Flynn comes to Seattle and DOESN'T get the start over Jackson, you're going to have an extremely unhappy and overpaid backup quarterback. Pete's comments about competition are a public facade.

Even if your extremely-generous-to-TJ interpretation is true, do you bring in this guy to "compete" if you REALLY, honestly believe he's your guy, now and in the future? No, you don't. The only reason a team brings in a second starting quarterback is because they don't have a first starting quarterback.
    Last edited by BBQ Platypus; 03-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Tell that to the Ravens, Giants, etc.

As to the "no way" statement. Aren't you one of the cats on here who said.....

No way he throws for over 300 yards.
    No way he ever gets a contract.
    No way he is a starter.
    ect ect ect......

Way....my friend....Way.
    Who ever said he wouldn't throw for 300 yards? Any QB can do that once in awhile. And there is a difference between being a started because you are a good QB and being a starter because your backup is something called a Charlie Whitehurst.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Marrdro,

I'm going to get you a shirt that says, "Caine's Bitch". What size do you need?

I'm going to answer a few of your repeated allegations, again, since you obviously don't pay attention when they are repeatedly answered in the collection of preceding posts.

1: "(Insert name here) said Jackson wouldn't/couldn't throw for over 300 yards"

No one said that. What was said was that he almost didn't prior to last season...and that's true. In fact, he's thrown for over 300 yards exactly TWICE. Both last season. In 2007 he had a 249 yard game, in '08 he had a 239 yard game. Those are big yardage games from Jackson. but no one said he couldn't...we said he HADN'T...and that was true.

2: He won't sign for starter money.

Not really sure he did. 8 million over 2 years, only 2 million guaranteed, not exactly a bank breaking signing. And you're mocking Flynn's 24 million over 3 years with 10 million guaranteed. Seems to me that Jackson signed for chump change.

Also, Jackson signed with Seattle really quick...probably because his agent advised him to. But if there was a lot of interest, why would his agent do that? Hmmmmm........

3: "No way will he be a starter"

No one said that...we said he'd never be a GOOD starter. And he isn't. Is he better than Charlie Whitehurst? Yes. But so are YOU. So am I. That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

4: "No way he gets a contract"

This one might have some legs. I'll admit I was surprised when Seattle signed him....until I saw who they hired as an OC. Bevell is an idiot. When you take that into consideration, the signing becomes less of a shock. Bevell wanted someone in place who could help him teach his modified KAO...Jackson was available. There was no viable competition on the Seattle roster, so it made sense....if you're an idiot....which Bevell is.

This year, however, a guy with exactly TWO games under his belt has already been signed to replace Jackson. Don't kid yourself about the "competition" BS that Petey is blowing out there. That's to try and inflate Jackson's potential trade value. There are 10 million guaranteed reasons why Flynn will be starting in Seattle this season...and 4 million reasons to get rid of Tarvaris.

And, sadly, Jackson hasn't done anything to warrant keeping him.

Caine

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast