Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Seachickens cheated?

POSTED 8:44 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 9:50 a.m. EST, January 8, 2007

DID SEAHAWKS BALL BOYS HOLD BACK SLICK "K" BALL?
    pft.com

There's talk in league circles of suspicion that the Seahawks' ball boys/men/persons selected the slickest of the new "K" balls and held it back for a key moment in the game against the Cowboys.

The rumor/innuendo/scuttlebutt is that the slipperiest of the "K" balls was first put into play when the Cowboys lined up for a potential game-winning field goal late in the fourth quarter.
    Holder Tony Romo caught the snap but lost control of it as he was trying to get it in place for the kick.

We're not suggesting or reporting that this occurred, or that by doing so the ball boys/men/persons did anything improper.
    We're only sharing in this space the talk in league and media circles.

But there's definitely room in the rules for such tactics.

Rule 2, Section 2 of the 2006 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League addresses the issue of ball supply.
    The home team is required to have 24 balls available for the game.
    Of those, 12 new balls, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, are to be opened in the officials' locker room two hours before the start of the game, and are specially marked by the referee for use in the kicking game.

Typically, the referee writes a "K" on the ball near one of the tips, and draws a tight circle around it.

In a note to Section 2, the rules state that it is the responsibility of the home team to furnish playable balls at all times by attendants from either side of the playing field.

Though we know nothing about the dynamics of the hiring or employment of the ball attendants, our guess is that they are local residents who undoubtedly have a bias in favor of the home team.
    And since the rules contain no further details regarding the handling of the "K" balls, our guess is that one of the attendants has a bag with all 12 of the balls.

Along with full discretion as to which ball will be produced at any given time.

Since the attendant with the bag of the "K" balls isn't being called upon to regularly change out a ball for use in the game, that attendant has time to "inspect" the supply of "K" balls, in the hopes of possibly finding one or more of them that is better or worse than the others, based on advice given from time to time to the attendant by the kicker, punter, holder, snapper, and/or special teams coordinator.

The "good" ball would then be produced for kicks to be made by the home team.
    Any "bad" ball could be squirreled away for when the visitors are preparing to attempt a crucial kick.

Regardless of whether that's what happened in this case, we're troubled by the looseness in the rules in this regard.
    Why is the home team even allowed to get its mitts on the "K" balls, which are hermetically (thanks, Tiki) sealed until two hours before kickoff?
    Why isn't a league employee responsible for the whereabouts and selection of these balls during the game?

At a bare minimum, there should be a predetermined rotation as to when each ball will be used, with the referee marking each "K" ball with a number.
    "K1" would be used on the opening kick.
    "K2" would be used on the next kick or punt.
    Etc.
    This would ensure that every "K" ball gets into the game on a random basis, and it would remove from the equation the ability of the ball attendant to pick which of the "K" balls would be used.

As we've said before, one of the challenges that the NFL faces in crafting its rules and procedures is to minimize the appearance of the potential for foul play.
    In this case, nothing in the rules prevented the home team's ball attendant from holding back a particularly slick "K" ball until the final minute of the game, even though the botched field goal attempt was the 27th occasion during the contest in which one of the "K" balls was used.
    So the Competition Committee should use Saturday night's events as a catalyst for enacting a rule that imposes tighter restrictions on the discretion that, based on the current rules, the ball attendants can exercise.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Del Rio Guest

Re: Seachickens cheated?

Wouldn't surprise me, stuff like this happens all the time. I think in the end Romo puckered and lost the game.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    Wouldn't surprise me, stuff like this happens all the time. I think in the end Romo puckered and lost the game.
    The thing I wondered about the ball is more along the lines of Romo not being used to handling the slick balls since the QBs have their own "worked over" balls this year.

Whatever the case - he choked big time - and still would have had a chance to be the hero of Grammatica had the slightest bit of identity as a football player who can block rather than a glorified soccer boy.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    The thing I wondered about the ball is more along the lines of Romo not being used to handling the slick balls since the QBs have their own "worked over" balls this year.

Whatever the case - he choked big time - and still would have had a chance to be the hero of Grammatica had the slightest bit of identity as a football player who can block rather than a glorified soccer boy.

=Z=
    I don't know, he had been the holder all season long so at some point in the games he has been holding the kickers balls.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

=Z=
    I don't know, he had been the holder all season long so at some point in the games he has been holding the kickers balls.
    Yes, Tony has been holding Martin's balls all season (well - before that he was holding Mike's balls, but then Mike left because Bill didn't like the way he dealt with the balls after Tony was done holding them), so he should be used to how Martin's balls feel.

But these were Mike and Paul's balls he was holding FOR Martin, so maybe the feel of these new balls got him a little excited or something.
    If those had been Jerry's balls he was holding for Martin, then I'm sure Tony would have grabbed the balls with a little more gusto and sure-handedness.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

"Del" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

=Z=

I may be a bit old fasioned but I think that is a little too intimate for me.
    I think they should just be good friends!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

=Z=
    Yes, Tony has been holding Martin's balls all season (well - before that he was holding Mike's balls, but then Mike left because Bill didn't like the way he dealt with the balls after Tony was done holding them), so he should be used to how Martin's balls feel.

But these were Mike and Paul's balls he was holding FOR Martin, so maybe the feel of these new balls got him a little excited or something.
    If those had been Jerry's balls he was holding for Martin, then I'm sure Tony would have grabbed the balls with a little more gusto and sure-handedness.

=Z=
    THE Ball Handling Expert has spoken!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikingsfan717 is offline Rookie

I am not saying that it can not happen but it sounds like to me that people are just trying to make up excuses to make Tony h0m0
    look better.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Acumen" wrote:
    POSTED 8:44 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 9:50 a.m. EST, January 8, 2007

DID SEAHAWKS BALL BOYS HOLD BACK SLICK "K" BALL?
    pft.com

There's talk in league circles of suspicion that the Seahawks' ball boys/men/persons selected the slickest of the new "K" balls and held it back for a key moment in the game against the Cowboys.

The rumor/innuendo/scuttlebutt is that the slipperiest of the "K" balls was first put into play when the Cowboys lined up for a potential game-winning field goal late in the fourth quarter.
    Holder Tony Romo caught the snap but lost control of it as he was trying to get it in place for the kick.

We're not suggesting or reporting that this occurred, or that by doing so the ball boys/men/persons did anything improper.
    We're only sharing in this space the talk in league and media circles.

But there's definitely room in the rules for such tactics.

Rule 2, Section 2 of the 2006 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League addresses the issue of ball supply.
    The home team is required to have 24 balls available for the game.
    Of those, 12 new balls, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, are to be opened in the officials' locker room two hours before the start of the game, and are specially marked by the referee for use in the kicking game.

Typically, the referee writes a "K" on the ball near one of the tips, and draws a tight circle around it.

In a note to Section 2, the rules state that it is the responsibility of the home team to furnish playable balls at all times by attendants from either side of the playing field.

Though we know nothing about the dynamics of the hiring or employment of the ball attendants, our guess is that they are local residents who undoubtedly have a bias in favor of the home team.
    And since the rules contain no further details regarding the handling of the "K" balls, our guess is that one of the attendants has a bag with all 12 of the balls.

Along with full discretion as to which ball will be produced at any given time.

Since the attendant with the bag of the "K" balls isn't being called upon to regularly change out a ball for use in the game, that attendant has time to "inspect" the supply of "K" balls, in the hopes of possibly finding one or more of them that is better or worse than the others, based on advice given from time to time to the attendant by the kicker, punter, holder, snapper, and/or special teams coordinator.

The "good" ball would then be produced for kicks to be made by the home team.
    Any "bad" ball could be squirreled away for when the visitors are preparing to attempt a crucial kick.

Regardless of whether that's what happened in this case, we're troubled by the looseness in the rules in this regard.
    Why is the home team even allowed to get its mitts on the "K" balls, which are hermetically (thanks, Tiki) sealed until two hours before kickoff?
    Why isn't a league employee responsible for the whereabouts and selection of these balls during the game?

At a bare minimum, there should be a predetermined rotation as to when each ball will be used, with the referee marking each "K" ball with a number.
    "K1" would be used on the opening kick.
    "K2" would be used on the next kick or punt.
    Etc.
    This would ensure that every "K" ball gets into the game on a random basis, and it would remove from the equation the ability of the ball attendant to pick which of the "K" balls would be used.

As we've said before, one of the challenges that the NFL faces in crafting its rules and procedures is to minimize the appearance of the potential for foul play.
    In this case, nothing in the rules prevented the home team's ball attendant from holding back a particularly slick "K" ball until the final minute of the game, even though the botched field goal attempt was the 27th occasion during the contest in which one of the "K" balls was used.
    So the Competition Committee should use Saturday night's events as a catalyst for enacting a rule that imposes tighter restrictions on the discretion that, based on the current rules, the ball attendants can exercise.

Sounds like something that the WHINY BUTT Cowturd fans would love to hang their hat on...nevermind the fact that they benefitted from Drew Pearson's pushoff in the 70s and continued to benefit from Michael Irvin's patented and trademarked pushoffs throughout the 90s!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Are you effing kidding me, they lost, that's that, deal with it.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast