Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Saban wants NFL to adopt NCAA replay system

I think maybe a better idea would be for the NFL to make the REFS full time employees and in the offseason pay them and teach them and let them practice.

Instead of treating them like substitute teachers.

Json is offline GM

I couldn't agree with you more Del Rio.
    Making the refs full time employees is by far the best idea.
    I can't understand why they don't its not as if the NFL don't have a couple spare dollars to compensate these guy's for a yearly salary wage. I mean give them 50 grand a year or something.
    Thats no sweat off the ____, for the NFL.
    Cheap sons-a-

Prophet Guest

The National Football League (NFL) pays referees anywhere from $25,000 to $70,000 per season. When you consider that the league plays 16 games and referees are considered part-time employees, you get a better sense of the disparity. But do not feel so bad for them, not only are there only 16 games in the schedule, they also get one-week intervals.

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    The National Football League (NFL) pays referees anywhere from $25,000 to $70,000 per season. When you consider that the league plays 16 games and referees are considered part-time employees, you get a better sense of the disparity. But do not feel so bad for them, not only are there only 16 games in the schedule, they also get one-week intervals.

I'm not worried about their pay, I'm worried about the quality of officiating because the NFL has part time Refs. Unlike other sports.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Del" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I'm not worried about their pay, I'm worried about the quality of officiating because the NFL has part time Refs. Unlike other sports.
    Well when their referee's union leader is a lawyer then I can't see them going full-time as people like him couldn't afford the drop in money. In some ways professional officials may improve the standards but the league needs to push the crews that much harder to work to improve.
    However a big step forward would be the NFL acknowledging when the officiating crews screw up calls instead of trying to sweep it under the carpet as they do. If the fans see that the NFL is trying to raise the standards then they might just be a more trusting than at the moment.

As for Saban and his limp wristed effort last week... he just wanted Pep to feel at home with a coach who sucked at challenging calls ..
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Del Rio Guest

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Well when their referee's union leader is a lawyer then I can't see them going full-time as people like him couldn't afford the drop in money. In some ways professional officials may improve the standards but the league needs to push the crews that much harder to work to improve.
    However a big step forward would be the NFL acknowledging when the officiating crews screw up calls instead of trying to sweep it under the carpet as they do. If the fans see that the NFL is trying to raise the standards then they might just be a more trusting than at the moment.

As for Saban and his limp wristed effort last week... he just wanted Pep to feel at home with a coach who sucked at challenging calls ..
    You will never see that, because your not going to say "So and So messed up the judgement call" Your questioning their judgement when they were right there and you were not.

Furthermore we as fans are not made aware of what exactly goes on between refs and their bosses. In all likely hood they are coached on the calls they missed. Just because no one stands in front of a podium and says well joe missed this and bob missed these and........doesn't mean that the attempt to improve the standards do not exsist it just means they are not going to throw thier own under the bus.

Making a ref full-time and paying them accordingly on the other hand would emerse them in football every day of the year. Maybe it is the union holding them back who knows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12