Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Saban stiffs President.

Dolphins coach turns down invitation to dine with President Bush
    By STEVE WINE, AP Sports Writer
    July 31, 2006

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- When the White House called with an invitation to dine with President Bush, Dan Marino took it. But the coach of his former team said no.

Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Monday that his obligations at training camp took priority over a chance to meet the president.

"It was really a tough decision," Saban said. "I feel like my first responsibility is our team. That in no way disrespects the importance of the opportunity I would have loved to have had to spend dinner with the President."

The invitation was for dinner with Bush on Sunday night at Joe's Stone Crabs, a landmark Miami Beach restaurant. Marino, a former Dolphins quarterback and an NFL Hall of Famer, did attend, Bush said in a speech Monday.

Several Dolphins players said they weren't surprised that Saban put his team ahead of the president.

"We all know Nick is serious about what we're doing here and is committed to it," defensive end Jason Taylor said.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Saban stiffs President.

I'd turn down a dinner president too!

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

or should i say dinner with the president

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

that's dedication
    i like the president, dont get me wrong.

but that shows how dedicated he is to his team
    (hope cpep didnt get to go)
    i m better than you, so just give up...

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

A little misleading with the title. That is some bad timing to get an invitation like that. It would be hard to turn it down but I'd guess that every head coach would have to this time of year.

[color=red]

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Wow, now that's dedication. I'm sure it speaks a thousand words to the players as well for his dedication to them.

kind of off topic here but Didn't Kelly Cambell sign with them? And New Mexico? Anybody heard whats going on with these two Dolphin clowns?

Prophet Guest

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Wow, now that's dedication. I'm sure it speaks a thousand words to the players as well for his dedication to them.

kind of off topic here but Didn't Kelly Cambell sign with them? And New Mexico? Anybody heard whats going on with these two Dolphin clowns?
    Dolphins | No. 3 wide receiver spot wide open
    Sun, 2 Jul 2006 06:39:30 -0700

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins would love for rookie WR Derek Hagan to claim the No. 3 wide receiver job, but the position remains open heading into camp. One player said Hagan has impressed with his speed and hasn't dropped balls like he did during Senior Bowl week, but needs to refine his route-running. WRs Kelly Campbell and Wesley Welker remain in the competition. The team has some size concerns with Campbell (5-10) and Welker (5-9).

Dolphins | Campbell to get extensive look - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:53:55 -0700

Jason Cole, writing for the Sporting News, reports Miami Dolphins WR Kelly Campbell will get a longer look as the team winds down their offseason program after WR Marty Booker (ankle) sprained his ankle during the last minicamp.

Dolphins | Contract update: Campbell - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:55:18 -0800

Miami Dolphins WR Kelly Campbell signed a one-year contract with a base salary of $500,000 in 2006.

===============================

Dolphins | Vick looking to make team - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:35:23 -0700

Jarrett Bell, of the USA Today, reports Miami Dolphins QB Marcus Vick is trying to put his past troubles behind him and make the Dolphins as a rookie free-agent. Vick has been working with the wide receivers and his brother, Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick, says Marcus was the only person in high school to catch his pass, "I was firing it to him. So he can catch anything fast." Before the team released players for break before training camp, Dolphins head coach Nick Saban gave Vick a stern talking about staying out of trouble and trying to make the Dolphins without being in the newspapers.

Dolphins | Vick must improve return skills to make the final roster - from www.KFFL.com
    Sun, 2 Jul 2006 06:43:05 -0700

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins WR Marcus Vick must improve this return skills to have a chance to make the team's final roster.

OregonViking is offline Rookie

Yeah, and the President certainly doesn't have anything pressing to focus on, so I wonder who he's going to drunk dial next for dinner and fiddlin' while Rome burns?

Maybe Bush will use the new high intensity Navy sonar to kill the Dolphins on the football field for revenge at being snubbed. Drive em right up into the stands with ears bleeding and brain hemmorages. Plenty of Daunte haters would cheer that.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"OregonViking" wrote:
    Yeah, and the President certainly doesn't have anything pressing to focus on, so I wonder who he's going to drunk dial next for dinner and fiddlin' while Rome burns?
    Take this crap to the Clubhouse

[color=red]

"OregonViking" wrote:

Maybe Bush will use the new high intensity Navy sonar to kill the Dolphins on the football field for revenge at being snubbed. Drive em right up into the stands with ears bleeding and brain hemmorages. Plenty of Daunte haters would cheer that.
    :roll:
    Even babies know the difference.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast