Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Russell heads list of players facing pivotal season

Interesting synopsis.
    Missed some key players, but, still a fun read.

[size=12pt]Russell heads list of players facing pivotal season[/size]
    By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
    Mar 30, 1:20 pm EDT

Minnesota Vikings
    QB Tarvaris Jackson – There will never be more pressure on Jackson than in this season, after the team acquired Sage Rosenfels to compete for the starting job and pulled out of trade talks for Denver’s Jay Cutler. Indeed, head coach Brad Childress appears to have pushed all his chips in on Jackson, so the quarterback could be holding in his hand both his own job and Childress’. He’s also a free agent after this season, so 2009 has the potential to determine the course of his NFL career … or if there will be one at all.

Chicago Bears
    QB Kyle Orton – General manager Jerry Angelo has made no secret that the Bears aren’t sold on Orton as the answer at quarterback. This season is the final year of his contract, and the Bears inquired about the availability of Denver quarterback Jay Cutler. The writing is on the wall. If Orton doesn’t dramatically improve this season, the Bears will be making other plans.

Detroit Lions
    QB Daunte Culpepper – At 32, he’s in the twilight of his career, and Detroit’s decision with the No. 1 overall pick could dramatically impact his latest window of opportunity. Regardless of where Detroit selects a quarterback, Culpepper is on a one-year deal. And if he flops in 2009, he likely won’t get another chance to be a starter in the NFL, and could drop back out of the league altogether. If he can’t play serviceably with wideout Calvin Johnson and the backing of one of the most supportive coaches in his career – offensive coordinator Scott Linehan – he can’t do it.

Green Bay Packers
    DT Justin Harrell – In two injury-marred seasons, he has never come close to justifying his status as a mid-first round pick. Harrell isn’t wildly expensive, making just over $640,000 in the third year of a five-year deal, and he he’ll be relatively affordable through 2011. But he’s the NFL version of empty calories, eating up roster space and producing little more than disappointment. If his back problems linger (and there are signs that they will), he’ll be cleared for players who at the very least can stay healthy and platoon in the new 3-4 defensive scheme...
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Re: Russell heads list of players facing pivotal season

Funny how 3 out 4 in the NFC North is all QB problems.

You would at least think Greenbay would be up there with #4 gone, buy AB played well last season.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Minnesota Vikings
    QB Tarvaris Jackson – There will never be more pressure on Jackson than in this season, after the team acquired Sage Rosenfels to compete for the starting job and pulled out of trade talks for Denver’s Jay Cutler. Indeed, head coach Brad Childress appears to have pushed all his chips in on Jackson, so the quarterback could be holding in his hand both his own job and Childress’. He’s also a free agent after this season, so 2009 has the potential to determine the course of his NFL career … or if there will be one at all.
    Still cracks me up.

Traded for yet another QB.
    Rumored to have been first to call on Cutler and still the yutz's believe he has all his chips in on TJ.

LOL.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Minnesota Vikings
    Still cracks me up.

Rumored to have been first to call on Cutler and still the yutz's believe he has all his chips in on TJ.

LOL.
    what's stupid to me is that he's saying how this is his last chance or he may be out of the nfl... what a crock of shit.. if anything he's proved to be a competent backup.. more than say bollinger or hellcomb or Henson and others...

Look at how seattle stuck with Seneca Wallace and the colts with Sorgi etc. etc. these guys hadn't really shown they could compete at a high level until recently... Seneca actually looked decent last year, and TJ has way more skills and has played better than Wallace had at this same point in his career...

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Minnesota Vikings
    Still cracks me up.

LOL.
    He traded for a backup QB. We have no clue how that will turn out. "Rumored" is the key word in that second statement. I thought you said Chilly does not make decisions? LOL had to add that.

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Minnesota Vikings
    Still cracks me up.

LOL.
    what's stupid to me is that he's saying how this is his last chance or he may be out of the nfl... what a crock of pooh.. if anything he's proved to be a competent backup.. more than say bollinger or hellcomb or Henson and others...

Look at how seattle stuck with Seneca Wallace and the colts with Sorgi etc. etc. these guys hadn't really shown they could compete at a high level until recently... Seneca actually looked decent last year, and TJ has way more skills and has played better than Wallace had at this same point in his career...
    A excellent post my friend.

Kid has the arm, the mobility and the mental makeup to deal with the pressure and proved that he can come off the bench.
    He just needs to figure out how to read a D consistently.
    That, I think comes with time.

Been saying it for quite some time.
    He wouldn't be on the market long if we let him go.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Minnesota Vikings
    Still cracks me up.

LOL.
    what's stupid to me is that he's saying how this is his last chance or he may be out of the nfl... what a crock of pooh.. if anything he's proved to be a competent backup.. more than say bollinger or hellcomb or Henson and others...

A excellent post My Sexy Little Pixie.

Kid has the arm, the mobility and the mental makeup to deal with the pressure and proved that he can come off the bench.
    He just needs to figure out how to read a D consistently.
    That, I think comes with time.

Been saying it for quite some time.
    He wouldn't be on the market long if we let him go.
    yeah, if anything we need to keep him around as a backup... u cant' give up on players u draft, esp. QB and especially if they show they have some skill to backup competently... I'd think TJ would actually be one of the better backups in the league... so I'm all for keeping him around...

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Minnesota Vikings
    Still cracks me up.

LOL.
    He traded for a backup QB. We have no clue how that will turn out. "Rumored" is the key word in that second statement. I thought you said Chilly does not make decisions? LOL had to add that.
    Posting while I eat lunch.
    That means you get a "Readers Digest" post and not the whole rant...... ;D

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Minnesota Vikings
    Still cracks me up.

LOL.
    Your eating lunch already? Even if you are on the east coast its only 10:40

"vikes2456" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Minnesota Vikings
    Still cracks me up.

LOL.
    Your eating lunch already? Even if you are on the east coast its only 10:40
    In the middle of testing some systems......Something broke, down time while fixing it....Took early lunch so I can finish testing on time.......

Middle management kindof thing.... ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast