singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Running the Ball: Anyone Can Do It?

[size=13pt]Running the Ball: Anyone Can Do It?[/size]

By JOHN BRANCH
    nytimes.com

Published: November 25, 2007

The debate has simmered for a decade, at least since the Denver Broncos began making a habit of turning unsung players into 1,000-yard rushers. Other championship-caliber teams, like the Indianapolis Colts and the New England Patriots, began casting aside top running backs, finding younger and cheaper alternatives with no regrets.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Running the Ball: Anyone Can Do It?

"singersp" wrote:

By JOHN BRANCH
    nytimes.com

The debate has simmered for a decade, at least since the Denver Broncos began making a habit of turning unsung players into 1,000-yard rushers. Other championship-caliber teams, like the Indianapolis Colts and the New England Patriots, began casting aside top running backs, finding younger and cheaper alternatives with no regrets.
    I'll agree that there are more important, less talent-scarce positions than running back, but is Mel Kiper telling me that he wouldn't have drafted Adrian Peterson in the first round?
    Ludicrous. :

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BBQ" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

By JOHN BRANCH
    nytimes.com

I'll agree that there are more important, less talent-scarce positions than running back, but is Mel Kiper telling me that he wouldn't have drafted Adrian Peterson in the first round?
    Ludicrous. :
    so next time we see Mel fawning over a RB who he feels should be top of the draft we'll remember what he said... thats why he such a draft guru
    :P
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Yes, if there's a good o-line most NFL caliber RBs would rush for over 1000 yds.
    The purple-jesus-types only come around a couple times a decade.
    The purple jesus only comes around once in an eternity.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

By JOHN BRANCH
    nytimes.com

Ludicrous. :
    so next time we see Mel fawning over a RB who he feels should be top of the draft we'll remember what he said... thats why he such a draft guru
    I know that some on here think that mock drafts and the whole stuff around them is kindof dumb, however, I love the shit.

Mel K is someone from that world that I can do without though.
    Pompass ass if you ask me.
    ESPN could do better by stealing someone like Mike Mayock.
    He has his issues sometimes but he is a hell of alot better to listen to that Mr. Hair.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MNgriff is offline Rookie

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

By JOHN BRANCH
    nytimes.com

Ludicrous. :
    I know that some on here think that mock drafts and the whole stuff around them is kindof dumb, however, I love the shit.

He has his issues sometimes but he is a hell of alot better to listen to that Mr. Hair.
    I like it too, but like you mar I just can't stand kiper. He'll rip a team up and down but he's often wrong. Just like the vikes "should have" drafted jarrett over sid the kid. Looks like duane is doing real good for Carolina. /sarcasm off
    Skol

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

i stopped reading after:

Taylor, a sixth-round choice of the Baltimore Ravens in 2002, never gained more than 714 yards in a season until the Vikings signed him as a free agent in 2006. Then he gained 1,216 — not enough, apparently, to persuade the Vikings to pass on Peterson on draft day.
    is he saying that we shouldnt haven taken peterson.. what is this guy even trying to say?

i wont even merit this with any more of my response. what a waste
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

By JOHN BRANCH
    nytimes.com

Ludicrous. :

My favorite all time draft moment was when Bill Tobin ripped Kiper a new one for criticizing his draft picks.