Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"the rooney rule"

i understand why they have the rule in the nfl
    but now that seattle has named jim mora jr their successor to holmgren people are asking what happened to having to interview a minority.
    but if u no who u want and they want to be there, why waste another coaches time to set up an interview for someone you dont want, and the candidate knows it too.
    but then minortites call the GMs and owners racist which does not make much sense, what do u guys think of the seattle situation with the rooney rule

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: "the rooney rule"

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    but now that seattle has named jim mora jr their successor to holmgren people are asking what happened to having to interview a minority.
    but if u no who u want and they want to be there, why waste another coaches time to set up an interview for someone you dont want, and the candidate knows it too.
    but then minortites call the GMs and owners racist which does not make much sense, what do u guys think of the seattle situation with the rooney rule
    First - adding some capitalization and punctuation will probably help you get your point across a tad more clearly.
    If you want to get your point across, that is.

Second:
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/01/the_rooney_rule.html

The Rooney Rule
    Spoke to more people inside Redskins Park. The staff, all of whom remain under contract right now, was informed this morning that the organization must go through a hiring process to comply with NFL rules. They are all essentially in limbo right now. The staff was told nothing about any possibile organizational structure changes, - ie who would replace Gibbs, need for a GM, etc.

Received some emails about the exact nature of the Rooney Rule in terms of minority hiring in the NFL. I contacted the league for the official statement, as there was some confusion if you had interview a minority candidate it a team was going to hire from within. And, yes they do; there is one exception to the rule that does not apply in this case.

Here's the NFL briefing on the rule from 12/20/02:

"On the December 19-20 conference calls, the owners strongly agreed on the principle that any club seeking to hire a head coach will interview one or more minority applicants for the position. The one exception occurs when a club has made a prior contractual commitment to promote a member of its own staff and no additional interviewing takes place (e.g. Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in 2000)."
    Seems to me, then, based on that last blurb, that if you (the Team) put language into the contract of a coach already on staff, then the Rooney Rule does not apply, as you (the Team) will not be conducting interviews for an open position, since that position is not, in fact, open, as it has already been contractually promised to another coach on your (the Team's) staff.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    I don't think anyone is calling the owners racist, but you can't argue with the fact that historically there have been few minority head coaches. Also minorities have not been given the same opportunities for 2nd and 3rd head coaching positions.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    I don't think anyone is calling the owners racist, but you can't argue with the fact that historically there have been few minority head coaches. Also minorities have not been given the same opportunities for 2nd and 3rd head coaching positions.
    There might be a simple explanation for that... They are the minority.
    Therefore the majority of coaches are going to be white.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    LOL, good point.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    The point behind the rooney rule though is that "minority" players actually compose the majority of the players in the NFL, yet are underrepresented in head coaching.
    I disagree with the rooney rule on implementation, but I understand the principle behind it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    The point behind the rooney rule though is that "minority" players actually compose the majority of the players in the NFL, yet are underrepresented in head coaching.
    I disagree with the rooney rule on implementation, but I understand the principle behind it.
    Affirmative action has it's downsides.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    Affirmative action has it's downsides.
    Yes it does.
    Very many.
    All too often it is either abused to the point that the most qualified candidate does NOT get the job, or it cheapens the interview experience for the minority candidates brought in.
    While the rooney rule is not really an example of affirmative action, both have similar problem at their root.
    Some people claim that they are flawed solutions in a flawed society, but I don't buy it.
    There has to be a better way.

In the case of the Rooney rule, instead of stipulating that at least one minority candidate must be interviewed, I would rather see that a minimum number of candidates must be considered (say 6).
    This would increase exposure across the board, and by sheer numbers at least one minority candidate would be in the mix most of the time.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    First - adding some capitalization and punctuation will probably help you get your point across a tad more clearly.
    If you want to get your point across, that is.

Second:
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/01/the_rooney_rule.html

The Rooney Rule
    Spoke to more people inside Redskins Park. The staff, all of whom remain under contract right now, was informed this morning that the organization must go through a hiring process to comply with NFL rules. They are all essentially in limbo right now. The staff was told nothing about any possibile organizational structure changes, - ie who would replace Gibbs, need for a GM, etc.

Received some emails about the exact nature of the Rooney Rule in terms of minority hiring in the NFL. I contacted the league for the official statement, as there was some confusion if you had interview a minority candidate it a team was going to hire from within. And, yes they do; there is one exception to the rule that does not apply in this case.

Here's the NFL briefing on the rule from 12/20/02:

"On the December 19-20 conference calls, the owners strongly agreed on the principle that any club seeking to hire a head coach will interview one or more minority applicants for the position. The one exception occurs when a club has made a prior contractual commitment to promote a member of its own staff and no additional interviewing takes place (e.g. Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in 2000)."
    Seems to me, then, based on that last blurb, that if you (the Team) put language into the contract of a coach already on staff, then the Rooney Rule does not apply, as you (the Team) will not be conducting interviews for an open position, since that position is not, in fact, open, as it has already been contractually promised to another coach on your (the Team's) staff.

=Z=
    This is exactly how it is. It is allowed to make internal promotions if it gets written into the contract of the employer - in this case Mora - that he'll get the promotion when Holmgren retires. The Rooney rule is upheld, as when Moras current position were being filled, there were minority candidates interviewed at that point.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

The Rooney Rule itself? I find it a valid avenue to expose minorities to opportunities, the interviews and the experiences that are gained through the HC hiring process.
    While the implementation may be fallable, I still find it a mechanism that is beneficial.

In regards to the original post?
    Teams draft young talent every year to develop for the future.
    They protect them from other teams via contractual obligations.
    I have no qualms about owners developing a HC prospect and protect them in one manner that they can: a contract to be named the next HC.

Why should an owner HAVE to interview anyone if the person you are hiring is currently on the staff (ala bobby/pat knight)?
    Its a way to protect a system that is already in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast