Prophet Guest

Rookie Salary Scale?

Holdouts highlight need for NFL rookie salary scale
    Posted: Tuesday July 25, 2006 12:23PM; Updated: Tuesday July 25, 2006 2:04PM
    Justin Doom, si.com

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Rookie Salary Scale?

Let's do it NFL! If nothing else, it should cut out on the holdouts and rookie biatching!

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

NFl salary scale for rookies is a good idea...i think right now the draft is on value then a sliding scale

I've been thinking that the NFL has needed something like this for a few years now.

Rookies missing portions of training camp seem to be occurring more and more every year.

[size=9px]wee - 500 posts![/size]
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

i dont mind how much money NFL players make.

- they have zero job security
    - all it takes is one play to screw you up for life
    - if you play football your whole life, your body takes a huge beating

but the amount rookies make before they even play, has got to stop. as well as the holdouts.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Prophet Guest

The problem I have with a scale is how do you do it? Historicaly certain positions pay more than others but a team may want to pay top dollar for a Steve Hutchinson-type player on the line or some other non-glorified position.

A salary scale for rookies seems like overkill to me. There already is a salary cap and the rookie signings are nested within that. If a rookie can negotiate a big chunk of the cap...good for him. It's up to the team to decide what they can afford and if a rookie outsmarts them they are either incompetent and should be fired or they think he is worth the coin. Screw the salary scale for rookies.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I'd have to agree with those that want to see a rookie salary scale implemented in the NFL.

It's got to the point where teams have to cut veterans with years of experience to accomodate rookies who have never played a down in the NFL, and have no guarantee on how they will adapt to the professional game. The thing is, you would only need to implement a salary scale for the first round, then the rest would fall into place due to the slotting system.

These 50 million dollar contracts at the top of round 1 have GOT to be eradicated. So have these 10 million dollars plus signing bonuses.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Benet" wrote:
    I'd have to agree with those that want to see a rookie salary scale implemented in the NFL.

It's got to the point where teams have to cut veterans with years of experience to accomodate rookies who have never played a down in the NFL, and have no guarantee on how they will adapt to the professional game. The thing is, you would only need to implement a salary scale for the first round, then the rest would fall into place due to the slotting system.

These 50 million dollar contracts at the top of round 1 have GOT to be eradicated. So have these 10 million dollars plus signing bonuses.
    I totally agree, and its only getting worse.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I agree with Phophet and happy camper on this one this is not the NBA the players bodies are at more injury risk then there and they deserve to be compensated more when the owners are making billions off there efforts.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best