Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Rookie Salary Cap?

Does anyone know where to find the contract numbers for ALL first round picks?
    I always thought the basic yearly numbers were slotted with variations only in the length of contract.
    I'd just like to see how all the contracts compare, and see if the Raiders were out of line.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Re: Rookie Salary Cap?

"SKOL" wrote:
    Does anyone know where to find the contract numbers for ALL first round picks?
    I always thought the basic yearly numbers were slotted with variations only in the length of contract.
    I'd just like to see how all the contracts compare, and see if the Raiders were out of line.
    Sorry, I can't help with a list of all the contract numbers.
    I can tell you that the numbers for any given player/pick are not set in stone.
    In theory, the 4th pick should make somewhere between the amount given to the 3rd pick and the 5th pick.
    However, there's a lot of wiggle room in there.
    I think it has happened where a lower pick has ended up with a higher contract value.
    This is really embarrising for the agent of the higher pick, and is part of the reason guys hold out.
    No agent wants to be the guy that got his player a terrible deal.

The upper limit on the contract is set by the rookie cap, but I think a lot of teams don't get there.
    It's a lot of creative accounting and salary cap econimics that I can't really explain.

The length of the contract is also negotiable, but until this year I think that almost all rookie contracts were for the maximum length.
    This year several players have been getting shorter contracts in order to get to the free agent market faster.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12