Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Rookie Salary Cap?

With Jamarcus Russell about to sign a HUGE rookie contract (the richest ever) with 29 million dollars guaranteed and 61 million overall, who thinks it's time for a rookie salary cap?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rookie Salary Cap?

*raises hand*

"Ltrey" wrote:
    With Jamarcus Russell about to sign a HUGE rookie contract (the richest ever) with 29 million dollars guaranteed and 61 million overall, who thinks it's time for a rookie salary cap?
    There's already a rookie salary cap.
    I think what you're talking about is a rookie pay scale like they have in the NBA.
    Or in general, just paying rookies less.

And the answer is yes, the NFL definately needs this.

It appears to be in the best interest of the current players (who would get a bigger piece of the player money relative to the rookies that aren't part of the league yet), the teams (who don't get punished for having a high draft pick), and the league (because the level of play and fan excitement will increase when high draft picks are all in camp on time).
    So who doesn't benefit?
    I guess a few of the big time agents that always get the high draft picks, tick them off, and get fired so they get no part of the second contract.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    I think what you're talking about is a rookie pay scale like they have in the NBA.

It appears to be in the best interest of the current players (who would get a bigger piece of the player money relative to the rookies that aren't part of the league yet), the teams (who don't get punished for having a high draft pick), and the league (because the level of play and fan excitement will increase when high draft picks are all in camp on time).
    So who doesn't benefit?
    I guess a few of the big time agents that always get the high draft picks, tick them off, and get fired so they get no part of the second contract.
    There's a rookie cap'?

I've never heard about it...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:

So who doesn't benefit?
    There's a rookie cap'?

Me neither.

There is a team salary cap & if a team decides to blow their wad on one player, so be it. It's a risk & a gamble, especially on an unproven player. The NFL is a lot different than college. Past history has shown us that. How many "Can't miss" players have turned out to be flops?

They will only suffer for it in the long run when they try to surround him with talent & can't afford it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

"Ltrey" wrote:

Yeah...definetly...that is terrible...i already don't like him, it's greedy, no single person needs that kind of cash. I hope he ends up sucking... :P

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

That works for me...as long as it helps keep ticket prices down!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    *raises hand*
    BLV answers the question:
    Who is your current sex partner?
    :P
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    There's a rookie cap'?

I'm sure you have, but maybe we're mixing up terminology.

http://www.thesportjournal.org/2007J...03mirabile.asp

The rookie cap (or 'entering player pool') limits the amount of cap space that can be used for the teams rookies.
    Each team is assigned a different cap based on their draft picks.

I think what you really want though is a limit on how much each individual player makes.
    That is, why is a guy that has never taken a snap getting paid over $30 million just to show up to practice this year?

And cajun, I don't know if it would keep ticket prices down - I think the total player pool of cash would remain the same.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

He holds out until after the first game and they reward him with a monster contract. Way to build team chemistry. It's unfair that the NFL seem to be in bed with the agents and the players and allow something like this to happen. If anything, Russell should get less money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast