Thread: Rookie Salary

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Rookie Salary

Goodell: Rookie salary structure is ‘wasting money’

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke about this issue Saturday and had some pretty strong words on the matter.

I agree with Goodell, the rookie salary is too high. I suggest that the rookies should be payed in the order they are drafted.
    For example: The number one selection should automatically receive a contract of $20 millions, number two receive $19,95 millions, number three receive £19,90 millions... etc.

Apart from the ridiculous fines, I like Goodell and the NFL Commissioner seems like a good person who cares about his players. Remember, the fines are there to protect the players.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

Re:Rookie Salary

HEY wrote:
    Goodell: Rookie salary structure is ‘wasting money’

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke about this issue Saturday and had some pretty strong words on the matter.

I agree with Goodell, the rookie salary is too high. I suggest that the rookies should be payed in the order they are drafted.
    For example: The number one selection should automatically receive a contract of $20 millions, number two receive $19,95 millions, number three receive £19,90 millions... etc.

Apart from the ridiculous fines, I like Goodell and the NFL Commissioner seems like a good person who cares about his players. Remember, the fines are there to protect the players.
    Whilst I agree with you on the installation of rookie salaries I don't agree with the vlaue you set. $20m fro an untried player is riduculous. Why can't they set a one year value with a gaurantee to review once the player has earned a value. The NFL could be used as arbritators to make sure neither club nor player are taken advantage of.

I think it would make the player try that bit harder to make the best impression and would ensure guys like Russell don't end up getting paid for nothing.

The only problem I could see is if the player and team can't agree what happens to his contract? Would he become a FA straight away? Would any new team have to offer at least what he turned down etc.

As I see it everyone wins from this apsect.

As for fines, like you say they are there as much to protect the players as protecting the league. Any guy who works for years through high school, college to get to the NFL and then put that on the line for a drug induced high or act like a fool becasue he can't handle a beer or 12 deserves what ever they throw at him.

I bet there are guys on this forum who really wanted to play at college level or better who would give their eye teeth for a chance to play in the NFL and just weren't good enough or didn't get the breaks to make it, who would gladly pay the league for the chance of walking out in front of 80,000 fans.
    Purple till i die