Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Rookie Orton named Bears' starting quarterback

Rothlis....Roeth...That Steelers QB had success last year because he was put into a position where he was asked not to make mistakes, and not asked to be the whole offense. The Steelers had a strong running game, and a strong defense, and didn't need a pro-bowl starting QB. Mind you, big Ben out performed all those expectations, and there's more to it than just the system he was in, but the system didn't hurt. Orton is going into the same type of situation. The Bears have a much better O-line this year, and Thomas Jones and Adrian Peterson have looked real good in the preseason games. Also, it's now being reported on talk radio that they have agreed to terms with Cedric Benson finally. So the run game should be there for Orton. Finally, the Bears D is a pretty good unit. I think they're placing Orton into a situation where he can do well. This should tighten up the compitition for second in the NFC North considerably. I'm not even sure how I would handicap that race anymore.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

This kinda sucks man.. Orton is better then Hutchinson for sure.. And he will only get better with more playing time.. I bet he is the future for the Bears.. Him and Cedric if he signs.. I see a decent year for Orton but nothing too special

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ltrey33" wrote:
    Mmmmm....fresh meat for our D!

Orton =

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

ultra, that cartoon could be used for any qb in the nfl

Go vikes!!

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

as long as those 1 or 2 extra wins dont come over us im happy and carefree.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    This is actually somewhat bad news for us. Bad in a sense that the bears are way better off with Orton as their starter over Hutchinson. I loved what I saw from Ortin in college and so far in preseason, although it was against the scrubs. I think him being the starter over hutchinson gives them 1 or 2 more wins. Unfortunately those 1 or 2 more wins will still only add up to about 6 or 7 total wins. Orton's not a bad QB though and may even have a season that makes them wonder who they should start when Grossman is healthy.
    I dunno. The kid is RAW. I think he was a really good pickup for the Bears, but I mean, Alex Smith isn't even close to ready for the starting duties, and I can't see Orton doing much. Rothliesberger is the only rookie QB in recent memory to do really well, and I think he was more lucky - he was put into the right situation where he just had to hand the ball off/watch his defence score points.

I'm still pretty confident when we play the Bears.

Why bring up Roethisburger? I said Orton was better then Hutchinson and good for 1 or 2 more wins, yet they would still only win 6 or 7 games. Thats not a year like Ben's by any means. He is like a Matt Schaub, who is in Atlanta now. Schuab was NFL ready as a rookie and could have started for atlanta last season and done decent. Orton IMo is the same way and is the most ready to start in the NFL, of all the rookie QB's. Now, the fact that he is on the Bears may hurt his chances of real success, but he is a heck of a QB that has every throw. He has a good vet playmaking WR to throw to and now a workhorse RB to hand the ball off to 30+ times a game. Their D will also allow him to be careful with the ball.

I think he makes their games with us, all the more difficult even being a rookie. The Bears are always tough games for us, no matter how good we/they are, and I see it the same this year now that they got rid of hutchinson and went with Orton.

Make no mistakes though, this kid is a he!! of a passer.

And by no means would I call him RAW, as you suggested.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

ummm a little worried.....but not really.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Lotzapurple119" wrote:
    ultra, that cartoon could be used for any qb in the nfl
    Correction, any QB we play! :wink:

6-KINGS Guest

Orton is toast!!
    It is VERY unlikely he can deliver any consistant play for the Bears.
    Not with that O-Line. What good players they are said to have on the O-Line are overated.

This just in. .......The Bears will Finish Dead last in the NFC North.
    Let's see......... that is a SWEEP!

Big C is offline Coordinator

This worries me too. The Bears defense looks REALLY sharp this year. They can win a few games with just D and Special Teams. Throw in a QB who can actually complete a pass or two increases their chances.

Do not underestimate the bears this year. They probably will end up last in the NFC North, but they will have a few upset wins. I see them winning about 6 or 7 games. Just hope none of them are against the Vikes.

Yeah Hutchinson sucks. Anybody remember him playing against us last year? Now replace him with someone who can throw . I know our D is better this year but we still have been giving up some 3rd and long conversions in pre-season to first team offenses. I wouldn't write-off the Bears just yet.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast