Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Rookie Orton named Bears' starting quarterback

Rookie Orton named Bears' starting quarterback ESPN.com news services

The Bears have named rookie Kyle Orton as the starting quarterback, ESPN.com's John Clayton has learned. Jeff Blake will back him up, while Kurt Kittner is third on the depth chart.

Chad Hutchinson, who had a 0.0 passer rating in preseason action Friday night, is still on the roster -- for now.

"Whenever I'm on the field I feel confident I'm going to help the team win and do whatever I can. Like I said, it's not my decision. I'm just going to try to prepare myself and be ready to go," Orton said after a strong performance in Chicago's 16-12 win over Buffalo on Friday night.

With Rex Grossman out until at least late in the season with a broken ankle, the Bears had turned the starter's job over to Chad Hutchinson, but for the second straight game he struggled with interceptions and sacks.

After Hutchinson's dismal 3-for-14 passing performance in the first half produced loud booing at Soldier Field, Chicago coach Lovie Smith was forced once again to consider a change at the most important position on the field.

Greeted by loud cheers, Orton played two series in the third quarter, both with Chicago's first-team offense. In the first series facing the Bills' solid first-team defense, Orton threw two incompletions in a quick three-and-out.

But in his next try with the Bills' second-team defense on the field, he completed 7-of-9 passes for 74 yards in an 81-yard drive he capped with a 2-yard TD toss to tight end Desmond end Clark.

"I want the best player out there who gives the team the best chance to win. If it's me, then great," said Orton, a fourth-round pick out of Purdue, whose senior season was slowed by a hip injury. "Hopefully we win a lot of games. If it's Chad, great for him. Hopefully, we can win a lot of games that way. ...They're going to make the best decision for the team."

The Bears wrap up their seemingly endless preseason with a fifth exhibition game Thursday against the Browns. They open the regular season Sept. 11 at Washington.

"Kyle has played well. The coaches definitely have a decision to make about who they're going to start at that position," said wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad.

"He's a confident kid. That's good because you've got to have a little swagger."

Hutchinson, who's thrown four interceptions in his two starts since replacing Grossman, was not available for comment after Friday's game. One of his interceptions Friday night was returned for a touchdown by Nate Clements and the second resulted in a Bills' field goal.

The former pitcher and surfing enthusiast has a 3-11 record as a regular-season starter with the Cowboys in 2002 and last year in five games with the Bears.

"Chad didn't have a good night, made a lot of bad plays, but we'll just go from there," Smith said. "I was really pleased that Kyle Orton stepped in and gave the offense a boost."

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Re: Rookie Orton named Bears' starting quarterbackESPN.com news

Even just that small dose of Hutchinson should keep Bears fans up nights. And I think they had, prior to that, seen it all at QB. Wow, was he BAD.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Rookie Orton named Bears' starting quarterback

That would just suck to be a Bears fan right now. Your quarterback is coming off a season where he played like three games and you are expecting big things from him. Than bam, he is out again for the season. We can only hope that the Vikes don't get anymore injuries.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

This is actually somewhat bad news for us. Bad in a sense that the bears are way better off with Orton as their starter over Hutchinson. I loved what I saw from Ortin in college and so far in preseason, although it was against the scrubs. I think him being the starter over hutchinson gives them 1 or 2 more wins. Unfortunately those 1 or 2 more wins will still only add up to about 6 or 7 total wins. Orton's not a bad QB though and may even have a season that makes them wonder who they should start when Grossman is healthy.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    This is actually somewhat bad news for us. Bad in a sense that the bears are way better off with Orton as their starter over Hutchinson. I loved what I saw from Ortin in college and so far in preseason, although it was against the scrubs. I think him being the starter over hutchinson gives them 1 or 2 more wins. Unfortunately those 1 or 2 more wins will still only add up to about 6 or 7 total wins. Orton's not a bad QB though and may even have a season that makes them wonder who they should start when Grossman is healthy.
    ortons a rookie qb and he plays for the bears which = orton sucks

Go vikes!!

Regardless of what POS they have at quarterback, without Rex Grossman they are going to plummet to dead last in the division, perhaps having a late season battle for second to last with the Packers.
    Have you ever had a Big Kahuna Burger?

"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:
    Regardless of what POS they have at quarterback, without Rex Grossman they are going to plummet to dead last in the division, perhaps having a late season battle for second to last with the Packers.
    my moneys on the bears

Go vikes!!

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    I dunno. The kid is RAW. I think he was a really good pickup for the Bears, but I mean, Alex Smith isn't even close to ready for the starting duties, and I can't see Orton doing much. Rothliesberger is the only rookie QB in recent memory to do really well, and I think he was more lucky - he was put into the right situation where he just had to hand the ball off/watch his defence score points.

I'm still pretty confident when we play the Bears.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    I dunno. The kid is RAW. I think he was a really good pickup for the Bears, but I mean, Alex Smith isn't even close to ready for the starting duties, and I can't see Orton doing much. Rothliesberger is the only rookie QB in recent memory to do really well, and I think he was more lucky - he was put into the right situation where he just had to hand the ball off/watch his defence score points.

I'm still pretty confident when we play the Bears.
    i don't think that i could ever possibly be nervous playing the bears

Go vikes!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Mmmmm....fresh meat for our D!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast