gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Rookie cap, 17 games, hair cut... What do you think?

Recent things discussed on NFL live:

After Ryan's record setting deal, what do you think about a rookie salary cap?

So the owners can get more revenue, is a 17 game season a good thing?

Long hair sticking out of the helmet, should it be banned?

IMO,
    * Salary cap only for 1st rounders

* I think 4 pre-season games is too much... as for regular season, the more the merrier

* I think players are starting to use the long hair to show off, be distinctive.
    It's also not technically fair as an offensive skill players (RB, WR, QB) would be insane to grow the hair. I think it needs to go.

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rookie cap, 17 games, hair cut... What do you think?

Yea i made a comment about this in another thread.

They said that they did discuss the fact that unproven rookies are making more/as much as established vets, and that that needs to be addressed, and i'm very glad about that.

Knocking out a preseason game is all good, 17 games?
    Like you said, the more the merrier, as long as it doesn't greatly prolong the new CBA discussions.
    Like I said in the other thread, 17 games = 17 checks, people will want more cash.
    Also like they said on NFL Live, if they extend the regular season, they will have to discuss whether or not to extend the size of team rosters, because of the high injury rate in the NFL

I think mandating Hair length is dumb as hell, as I've said in other threads when this first came up.
    As the rule goes right now, if the hair is sticking out of the helmet, its considered part of the uniform and can be used to bring down a player; they know the risks so it should be their call.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i just said we need a cap on rookies. everyone out of the draft should have a cap. regardless of posession and what number someone is drafted, it should be the same for everyone. that means the top 5 get close to the same amount of money, and everyone else will be less than that. if ryan turns out to be a bust, i think the cap will get in even soon.

i like the length of the season. yes one more game can get you a lot of money, but making the playoffs makes you even more. a home playoff game, jack up ticket prices and owners can easily cash in.

hair length? who cares. its part of their personally. they just cant complain when it gets ripped out of their skull
    We're bringing purple back.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

ive never been able to understand why the nfl hasnt followed the nba and nhl by putting a rookie pay-scale in place..it makes absolutely no sense for these guys to get paid that kind of money in their contract without playing a down of football
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"olson_10" wrote:
    ive never been able to understand why the nfl hasnt followed the nba and nhl by putting a rookie pay-scale in place..it makes absolutely no sense for these guys to get paid that kind of money in their contract without playing a down of football
    becuase the player union doesnt want to agree with it... they want the players to get paid

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]NFL eyes 17th game to grow revenue, shorten preseason[/size]

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Updated: May 20, 2008, 8:18 PM ET

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell raised the possibility of having a 17th regular-season game as an option to help settle some of the league's future labor problems....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Pros and cons to prospect of a 17-game season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3406314
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Seems like it would help a lot to get the owners/players closer together.. but.. i see it being a scheduling nightmare.

i'd luv less preseason though!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    becuase the player union doesnt want to agree with it... they want the players to get paid
    Absolutely right.

And while you'd think that the players would want rookies to make less so that the pool available to the vets is larger, they probably benefit from the current structure.
    The top 10 picks get paid mad bank, and that subtracts from the total pool, but only by a couple million.
    In turn, those top picks set the bar for future contracts.
    A big part of why Barber just got paid something over $6 million/year is that AD gets paid about $5 million/year.

So in my opinion, a rookie pay scale would be okay but not necessary.
    Adding an extra 'real' game at the expense of a preseason game would be great.
    As for the hair, who cares?
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]