Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Roger Goodell Won't Rule Out Going to an 18-Game NFL Season

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Roger Goodell Won't Rule Out Going to an 18-Game NFL Season

I hate the idea for a 17th game for many reasons (you'd blow up the structure of the schedule, it forces half the league to have an extra home/road game).
    In the 17-game format, one conference would get the extra home game and they'd switch every year. I hated that because it meant five inter-conference games and how would they figure that?
    If we went to a 17 game schedule, there could also be 16 games played on independent soil.
    So instead of teams losing home field to go over seas like we have now, nobody would have to give up a home game.
    They could also put eight games in LA, without having to expand or move a team.

And as far as wear and tear, this would mean that the NFL would either have to extend the schedule a week or cut two of the preseason games.
    The latter would be received much better by the NFLPA, although it would also mean quite a bit of money out of the owners pockets.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I hate the idea for a 17th game for many reasons (you'd blow up the structure of the schedule, it forces half the league to have an extra home/road game).
    In the 17-game format, one conference would get the extra home game and they'd switch every year. I hated that because it meant five inter-conference games and how would they figure that?
    If we went to a 17 game schedule, there could also be 16 games played on independent soil.
    So instead of teams losing home field to go over seas like we have now, nobody would have to give up a home game.

And as far as wear and tear, this would mean that the NFL would either have to extend the schedule a week or cut two of the preseason games.
    The latter would be received much better by the NFLPA, although it would also mean quite a bit of money out of the owners pockets.
    I like the thought of neutral field games if 18 games became too many.

I think extra games would definitely add a dynamic to the game - more emphasis would need to be put on backup players - and I think that is huge.
    It could lead to a reduction in the super-salaries made by the few to require money to be left over for back up players (who would actually see the field) - perhaps even allowing for the expansion of the active roster by a player, etc.

Ahh... more football always sounds good to me.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I like the thought of neutral field games if 18 games became too many.

I think extra games would definitely add a dynamic to the game - more emphasis would need to be put on backup players - and I think that is huge.
    It could lead to a reduction in the super-salaries made by the few to require money to be left over for back up players (who would actually see the field) - perhaps even allowing for the expansion of the active roster by a player, etc.

Ahh... more football always sounds good to me.
    Me too.

I especially would like to stop spending $88 per ticket for two preseason games as part of my season tickets.
    I rarely make the trip for both, and the one that I do go to is never worth full price.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

only good thing is more revenue. leave it like it is. as much as we all hate how long the preseason is, coaches need all that time to make a roster of 100 in 53.
    We're bringing purple back.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I hope that they wait a few years though...at least until the Vikings get good enough to have a shot at an 18-0 record.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE