Thread: Roaf retiring?

Prophet Guest

Roaf retiring?

POSTED 8:55 a.m. EDT, July 28, 2006

ROAF RETIRING?
    pft.com

The Kansas City Star reports that the Chiefs have excused left tackle Willie Roaf from the start of training camp for personal reasons, days after coach Herm Edwards said that Roaf would be present.

Though we've heard nothing specific regarding whether and when Roaf will be back, we're now willing to disclose that Roaf is the guy to whom we were referring several weeks back as the candidate for a surprise retirement. We were later told that he wasn't going to be retiring, so we never identified him by name.

But now we're not so sure. We haven't heard anything specific along these lines, other than the rumors from earlier in the summer that he was thinking about packing it in notwithstanding a declaration from May that he would play.

If Roaf calls it quits, the team would lose both of its starting tackles from 2005, raising the possibility that newcomer Kyle Turley would win a spot with the first team despite a lengthy absence from the game.

So to all of those Chiefs fans who wanted us to adjust our Preseason Power Rankings to account for the arrival of Ty Law, the move would at least be balanced out by Roaf's retirement.

Stay tuned.

Prophet Guest

Re: Roaf retiring?

KFFL
    Chiefs | Roaf retires
    Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:48:57 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs OL Willie Roaf, one of the league's premier offensive linemen, has decided to retire from football after 13 seasons. While he was adamant about his desire to play early in the offseason, lingering injuries to his hamstring and knee led to Roaf's decision to retire.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

Well, good for him. Now he can go off somewhere and enjoy the rest of his life without 300 pound monsters running into him all the time.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kyle Turley
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Dang.. One of the premiere lineman in the league.. I hear he was a good guy too.. Never in trouble and what not.. Cheers to a steller career!

One Love

Prophet Guest

So, what does this do to Larry Johnson's stock? Didn't Black play in Roaf's position the whole time Larry was tearing up the field last year?

:shock:

Wow! This is surprising to me. All I had heard in the offseason was that he was definitely coming back. He is THE anchor of their OL. Not only is this bad news for LJ this is really bad news for Priest who wanted to come back after a severe injury.

Good luck to the Chiefs...

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

Prophet Guest

Re: Roaf retired.

KFFL
    Chiefs | Edwards plans on using Turley, Black, to replace Roaf
    Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:40:39 -0700

During his press conference Friday, July 28, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards acknowledged OT Kyle Turley and OT Jordan Black could be used in a rotation as a replacement for retired OT Willie Roaf. "Turley will be there and Black will go on both sides. We'll give them a shot and move them around and create some competition."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chiefs | Edwards does not want Roaf to be a distraction
    Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:33:20 -0700

During his press conference Friday, July 28, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards stressed the fact that he did not want OT Willie Roaf's retirement to serve as a distraction. "What I don't want to do is distract the guys on this football team that are here and just went through their first day of practice. That, to me, is more important than anything because these are the guys that are here, the guys that are getting coached today and the guys that are obviously trying to win a job. That's the most important thing."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chiefs | Roaf told team his intentions weeks ago
    Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:43:26 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports retired OT Willie Roaf (Chiefs) informed Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards and president and general manager Carl Peterson of his plans to retire weeks ago. Roaf said that he told both by telephone of his plans and even sent the Chiefs a letter declaring his intentions. Roaf added, " I thought when I started working out I would be feeling better and I could do the things I want to do. I started running around and my legs were bothering me. I kind of knew right then that I would need to do this. I'm 36 years old. I have to face that fact." Edwards has indicated Roaf would be welcome back if he changes his mind, but Roaf has said his decision is final.