Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Risky business: Packers counting on 2 rookies to back up QB Rodgers

"gagarr" wrote:
    The Pack is waiting for the Vikes to cut Bollinger... they will sign him just to learn what they can about the Vikes.
    The sneaky cheese sucking dust bunnies.
    :P
    Although I don't think anyone is waiting to sign Brooksie, the PUKERS probably will get a guy that is cut if they don't see what they want to see in thier backups.

My guess is they will wait and see how the season goes and if necessary, they will get a guy as the situation dictates.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    McCarthy says the decision to go with two rookie backups was based on fit. That is, Brohm and Flynn fit with the Packers scheme and culture better than any of the available veterans would have
    I think that point right there hammers home how bad the QB situation is in the league right now.

Teams with good number 2's are resigning them to nice contracts so they aren't hitting the open market and the guys that are hitting the open market are so bad they aren't worth resigning.

I think it will become a trend to grow your own backup just like you do a starter to ensure you always have someone that can run the system.
    :
    But you need someone good enough to run it. If these guys fail/get injured, GB is in a world of pooh. Also, more than 1 QB has had his career ruined by tossing him in to early.

I'm not sure what the FA QB pool looks like over the next few years.
    I hear ya but who is out there that you consider good right now and with the advent of the huge CAP teams now have to work with, no one will hit the market unless they are either "No good" or a guy who "Wants to Start".

Both don't really qualify as a guy good enough to come off the bench to "Run it".
    If it comes to that, I'm sure the phone will be ringing off the hook at the Favre estate.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Jeff George, Randall Cunningham and Daunte Culpepper are all still available and sitting by the phone

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

It is risky but I like their situation better than ours last year.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    McCarthy says the decision to go with two rookie backups was based on fit. That is, Brohm and Flynn fit with the Packers scheme and culture better than any of the available veterans would have
    I think that point right there hammers home how bad the QB situation is in the league right now.

Teams with good number 2's are resigning them to nice contracts so they aren't hitting the open market and the guys that are hitting the open market are so bad they aren't worth resigning.

I think it will become a trend to grow your own backup just like you do a starter to ensure you always have someone that can run the system.
    :
    But you need someone good enough to run it. If these guys fail/get injured, GB is in a world of shit. Also, more than 1 QB has had his career ruined by tossing him in to early.

I'm not sure what the FA QB pool looks like over the next few years.
    http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12