Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Riley Cooper...Pariah

Until a week ago, I'd never really heard of Riley Cooper. He was simply another depth player on a team I don't give a rip about.

Then he dropped the N-BOMB, and suddenly he's headline news.

Really?

This is what we've sunk to?

Media turd after media turd are sewer fishing on this one, asking "players of color" if they think the guy is racist. Demanding apology after apology. Criticizing and condemning Cooper as everything from a racist to a punk.

Really?

I am constantly amazed - and saddened - by the double standard applied to these types of events.

Riley Cooper said a dumb thing. Yup...agreed. Riley Cooper should probably apologize to THE PERSON HE SAID IT TO. Then, Riley Cooper should make some sort of statement about how it was a stupid thing to say, and ho0w he regrets it, and how it truly doesn't reflect who he is and what he believes.

Oh...wait...he's done most of that.

Now they want him to attend COUNSELING?!?!?!?!?!?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have friends of every race. color, creed, and orientation. I have used derogatory terms to describe every race, color, creed, and orientation. Does that mean that I need counseling? Should I embark on a journey of contrition, apologizing to every person I meet for having used an objectionable term at some point in my life that likely described them?

Not gonna happen.

And neither should Riley Cooper.

This thing gets traction because the media forces it to. Riley Cooper isn't news. the fact that he said a dumb thing shouldn't be news. Because I will BET that every person vilifying Riley Cooper right now has, at some point in their lives, said something they wish they hadn't. But by hanging Riley Cooper out to dry, they somehow feel that it balances the scales.

Bullshit.

Kiddies, don't say dumb things. Be aware of what comes out of your mouth. But if you screw up...if you have a moment where your judgement fails and you exhibit human weakness...pray that some jack-hole media turd with no ability to spot real news isn't there to make you the poster-child of racial intolerance.

Caine

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    He was banned from practicing with the team for a few days. They're also calling for the Eagles to cut him because of it. AYFKM?

If every team cut all their players who have used the N-word, including black people who use it often, or any other derogatory word towards someone of another race, most teams wouldn't have enough players to even field a team.

Like Caine said, it was a stupid thing to say & he apologized for it, so move on with life. A white guy drops the N-bomb and people want him cut from the team & out of football. A black guy is involved in a murder, gets charged with murder & never so much as gets suspended from the NFL. In fact he gets to enjoy a great NFL career and gets looked up to.

Lest we not forget, Vick, who beat puppies to death a few years back is still on the very team Cooper is on.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-03-2013 at 12:29 PM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, what he said was stupid and he certainly did owe the man an apology but I don't think he needs to apologize to the world and the moral outrage over a word that is used freely by blacks to each other is hypocritical and makes the outrage lose all credibility. Again, not a word I use, not a word I like, not a word I support in any way. But if the word is that extremely objectionable then make sure you first take it out the vocabulary of your own culture.

If the man says he is sorry and says he won't do it again then consider it lesson learned, a "Teachable Moment" or whatever and move on with life. IF he says it again then he should be condemned and taken to task for it.

The true measure of a person's racial bias is not contained in a word he uses but by his actions over his life on a daily basis. if he has a pattern of racist actions and deeds then saying the word carries a much higher weight than just the word alone.

iowa is offline Rookie
    Where was the outrage when Roddy White tweeted that Zimmerman jurors should kill themselves? How about Victor Cruz tweeting that the "hood" would catch up with Zimmerman within a year? Both of these statements could be considered hate speech and racially motivated but apparently racism only works one way.
    None

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Caine, good post, I agree with 100% of what you said. I think this is totally blown out of proportion. He screwed up, said something offensive. Used a horrible word that I'm sure we've all heard, and probably even used. I won't tell you I haven't. It's up to his teammates to deal with him as a man. The league already said they won't. Everyone needs to get over it. The media is keeping this alive, forcing the Eagles to deal with it because it's become a distraction. It's sad really. They'll do anything to fill air time with controversial issues. It's more important to make their programs entertaining by getting people to yell at each other than it is to report the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    If the man says he is sorry and says he won't do it again then consider it lesson learned, a "Teachable Moment" or whatever and move on with life. IF he says it again then he should be condemned and taken to task for it.

The true measure of a person's racial bias is not contained in a word he uses but by his actions over his life on a daily basis. if he has a pattern of racist actions and deeds then saying the word carries a much higher weight than just the word alone.
    That pretty much sums it up, but I'm gonna go for it anyway.

Many black people use the N-word regularly. But the context in which it is used matters. It is not the same for a black guy to use it like buddy, bro, pal etc. as it is for a white guy from a rich, southern family. Especially when said white guy uses it in a negative way. There is a double standard when used with "positive" or neutral intent, but that does not in any way apply in this instance.

If you see what Cooper said as on par racially with comments regarding the Zimmerman verdict, you have a seriously myopic view of history and society. Don't get me wrong, it was massively stupid to say the jurors should kill themselves. Not only does it show ignorance to the laws surrounding the case(the verdict was correct, the law which makes it so is upsettingly flawed) but a lack of respect. Plus, their comments were not directly racially motivated. Of course there was a racial element to the case, but their comments are not directed at the jurors based on their race alone. It's probably fair to assume that White and Cruz, who are ignorant, believe that an all black jury may have ruled the other way, but that would just be a speed bump for the defense, eventually it would have been overturned. The jury was also all women, it is just as possible their motivation was sexist. A white man using the n-word, hard R and all in reference to a group of black people has heavy historical weight. Saying "hood justice" or what White said, does not.

How this relates to Michael Vick's crimes, for which he WENT TO PRISON, or Ray Lewis' murder charge, I really don't know. But if anyone thinks those guys were leniently treated because they're black, and Riley Cooper is being unfairly raked over the coals because he is white, you are not only blind to your own white privilege, but have ignored countless examples of blatant law enforcement, judiciary and legislative racism against people of color. Racism comes from people of all colors, but if you can't see that one of those colors by and large makes the laws, enforces the laws, controls the banks, controls education, controls the media and literally owned and oppressed groups of the other colors, and how that changes the magnitude of a racial slur, you really need to educate yourself.

Again, the Riley Cooper comment has been blown up to a ridiculous level, but to compare it to comments made by players regarding the Zimmerman verdict, or somehow link it to serious crimes makes at best very little sense.

I won't be posting in this thread again. So you can choose not to respond to this if you'd like. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

tl;dr Riley Cooper is stupid, you likely are too. The media sucks. Context. Racism. White privilege. Read a book, think critically.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 08-04-2013 at 12:11 AM.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He was banned from practicing with the team for a few days.
    Really I read he was excused from team activities for today
    while he seeks counseling
    ProFootballTalk: Cooper excused from team activities | ProFootballTalk

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Sorry but I won't make excuses or defend a douche bag that get paid a good chunk of change to play a game for entertainment that gets caught making a violent racial remark. Just happy he's not a Viking.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Caine, good post, I agree with 100% of what you said. I think this is totally blown out of proportion. He screwed up, said something offensive. Used a horrible word that I'm sure we've all heard, and probably even used. I won't tell you I haven't. It's up to his teammates to deal with him as a man. The league already said they won't. Everyone needs to get over it. The media is keeping this alive, forcing the Eagles to deal with it because it's become a distraction. It's sad really. They'll do anything to fill air time with controversial issues. It's more important to make their programs entertaining by getting people to yell at each other than it is to report the news.

That pretty much sums it up, but I'm gonna go for it anyway.

Many black people use the N-word regularly. But the context in which it is used matters. It is not the same for a black guy to use it like buddy, bro, pal etc. as it is for a white guy from a rich, southern family. Especially when said white guy uses it in a negative way. There is a double standard when used with "positive" or neutral intent, but that does not in any way apply in this instance.

If you see what Cooper said as on par racially with comments regarding the Zimmerman verdict, you have a seriously myopic view of history and society. Don't get me wrong, it was massively stupid to say the jurors should kill themselves. Not only does it show ignorance to the laws surrounding the case(the verdict was correct, the law which makes it so is upsettingly flawed) but a lack of respect. Plus, their comments were not directly racially motivated. Of course there was a racial element to the case, but their comments are not directed at the jurors based on their race alone. It's probably fair to assume that White and Cruz, who are ignorant, believe that an all black jury may have ruled the other way, but that would just be a speed bump for the defense, eventually it would have been overturned. The jury was also all women, it is just as possible their motivation was sexist. A white man using the n-word, hard R and all in reference to a group of black people has heavy historical weight. Saying "hood justice" or what White said, does not.

How this relates to Michael Vick's crimes, for which he WENT TO PRISON, or Ray Lewis' murder charge, I really don't know. But if anyone thinks those guys were leniently treated because they're black, and Riley Cooper is being unfairly raked over the coals because he is white, you are not only blind to your own white privilege, but have ignored countless examples of blatant law enforcement, judiciary and legislative racism against people of color. Racism comes from people of all colors, but if you can't see that one of those colors by and large makes the laws, enforces the laws, controls the banks, controls education, controls the media and literally owned and oppressed groups of the other colors, and how that changes the magnitude of a racial slur, you really need to educate yourself.

Again, the Riley Cooper comment has been blown up to a ridiculous level, but to compare it to comments made by players regarding the Zimmerman verdict, or somehow link it to serious crimes makes at best very little sense.

I won't be posting in this thread again. So you can choose not to respond to this if you'd like. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

tl;dr Riley Cooper is stupid, you likely are too. The media sucks. Context. Racism. White privilege. Read a book, think critically.
    I was reading you post and started to disagree but the more I read the more I found I agreed with the latter half of your post. To be clear, this is a non story. RC is a piece of shit and so is anyone that uses hate words in that matter (white, black, purple). However, this should have made ESPN and then be done with it. Please believe that his teammates and the other players in the league will take care of it. Every opportunity to take a shot will be taken with much prejudice. This consoling BS is just a smoke screen and it's insulting to the public's intelligence to believe he will go away and come back "cured" of his bigotry. If you think this is bad you should see how your kids talk on COD. If you used that to judge American culture.....my god, we are still in the 1850s.

As a Black man in America (not African American), I can clearly see the difference between how some Black people use the N-word and how it is used by ther cultures (not only Whites) as an insult or in negative way. However, I decided to stop using the word a long time ago. However, I hate that people try to justify something just because a sub section of a subsection does something. It screams white privilege. We are all individuals and should be treated that way. Just because some Blacks use the N- Word in a positive way doesn't mean we all agree with it but too often we aren't viewed as individuals but as an entire group which is kinda crazy. The same goes with "black on black crime" and it being an excuse from why people shouldn't get wound us

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Strange Racism

One nation has taken racism to a another level. I lived there for one year, but I'm not currently living there now. This country is one of the biggest nations in the world and has been one of the most developed and modern countries for centuries. Since the birth of this nation, the foundation of it's policy is famous for holding human rights and equality high.

Ironically, this nation practices a strange kind of racism openly. You could even say that the people, from the everyday citizen to the government, encourages this racism.

In this country, people are divides into groups based on ethnicity and some groups are denied to say or write a particular word. In case they do that, they can be in danger of being socially outcast or even losing their job. Yes, I know. Sounds pretty ridiculous.

This particular word apparently has such of an extreme negative meaning that it even exceeds the freedom of speech in this nation. You would think that since this word is so bad, all groups will refrain from using it, but that's the opposite from the truth. Ironically, many of the individuals in the group that is allowed to utter this word uses it in everyday situations.

By the way, the country is called The United States of America.
    Last edited by HEY; 08-04-2013 at 06:22 AM.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Just like you can't stop other people from using the word negatively, black people that choose not to use it can't tell others to not use it. Can't keep grouping a whole group together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast