Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Ricky Williams update

[size=18px]Alouettes question how Williams deal done[/size]

May 29, 2006. 06:55 PM
    CANADIAN PRESS

The Montreal Alouettes are glad to see Ricky Williams in the CFL, but wonder if an end run was made on the rules to allow the NFL running back to join the rival Toronto Argonauts..........

Full story: Alouettes question how Williams deal done

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

RICKY'S ARRIVAL CAUSING CANADIAN COMMOTION
    POSTED 8:42 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 9:13 a.m. EDT, May 30, 2006
    Mike Florio

Although the folks in Toronto are banging the drum (and lighting a bong) regarding the arrival of the last guy to help Mike Ditka get a stogie in his pocket without medical assistance, not everyone north of the border is feeling warm and fuzzy about the arrival of Ricky Williams.

Specifically, some of the other CFL teams are wondering how it is that the rules were bent to allow the Argos to land a blue-chip player from the NFL.

"I have no problems competing against him, that's not the issue," Montreal Alouettes G.M. Jim Popp told the Canadian Press. "I'm still trying to figure out how he and other players have been able to sign contracts when they are under contract to another league. It's in our standard contract. That's not supposed to happen."

Popp also said that he has received no response to his multiple requests for clarification of the rules that prohibit CFL teams from signing players who are under contract with their NFL counterparts. Although Williams has been suspended by the NFL for at least one year, the Miami Dolphins hold his rights for two more seasons.

"It isn't about Ricky Williams the person, I want to make that clear. All teams in this league don't have a problem with competing against Ricky Williams with the Toronto Argonauts."

And at least one of the player's on Popp's team recognizes that Williams' arrival will help to raise the entire league. "More people will watch the CFL and that's good for all of us as players," said defensive lineman Ed Philion.

We agree generally with Philion. The CFL generally, and the Argos specifically, have benefited from the media coverage of the Williams saga, which has come at a time when the stream of NFL offseason news and rumors rivals that of an 85-year-old man with a prostate the size of a cantaloupe.

But we also see Popp's point. If the rules are clear, they should be applied pursuant to their clear terms. If there's an ambiguity, the ambiguity should be clarified. At a minimum, the G.M. of one of the few remaining teams in the league should be entitled at least to an explanation. The fact that his inquiries have been ignored suggests strongly that the league knows full well that it's playing this one fast and loose.

Gee, is it any wonder that real football fans view the entire CFL as a slapd-ck operation?

======================

KFFL
    CFL | Williams will earn close to $500K
    Tue, 30 May 2006 08:19:05 -0700

Steve Simmons, of the Toronto Sun, confirms an earlier story that Toronto Argonauts RB Ricky Williams will earn close to $500,000 this season, almost twice what originally was reported, to play his only year of Canadian football. The actual value pushes Williams closer to the $585,000 US he would have earned this season with the Miami Dolphins, had he not been suspended for violating the National Football League's substance abuse policy.

Prophet Guest

THEISMANN RIPS RICKY
    POSTED 11:20 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 12:46 p.m. EDT, May 30, 2006
    Mike Florio

Former CFL and NFL quarterback and current ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Joe Theismann has ripped Ricky Williams a new bonghole.

Appearing on ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd show, Theismann (who once played for the Toronto Argonauts) said, "I don't ever want to be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Williams as a football player. He's a disgrace to the game. The man doesn't deserve to play football. He should go on with his life and treat his drug addictions or go do whatever he wants to do. He's been suspended from the NFL on multiple occasions. Doesn't anybody have any class anywhere? For gosh sakes, let the kid go do what he wants to do. He doesn't want to play football."

There's more.

"Listen, we have rules in the National Football League," Thiesmann said. "It's real simple. Don't do drugs and you can play. It's a privilege to be able to play professional football. It's not a rite of passage. He's insulted the Miami Dolphins after they took him back and gave him a chance to play. Now he insults the intelligence of everybody that thinks that doing drugs is OK. To me, it's the wrong message to send to kids. It's the wrong thing to be doing, and the Toronto Argonauts have embarrassed themselves as an organization signing him."

We're surprised to actually be saying this, but we agree with Theismann, whose fire and brimstone routine is a stark contrast to the crotch nuzzling in which he and former Sunday night boothmates routinely engaged.

The NFL and the CFL have both bent over backward for Williams. Last year, the NFL gave Ricky a pass on what should have been a one-year suspension, opting instead to put him out for only four games. Now, the CFL apparently has massaged and/or flat-out ignored its own rules so that Ricky can run roughshod over the Roughriders.

And one crucial fact that has been lost in this entire Williams episode is that he hasn't been suspended from the NFL for a year. He has been banished from the league.

Banished. As in, "Make like a tree and get the f--k out of here."

Sure, Williams can apply for reinstatement in a year. But there's no guarantee that he'll be reinstated.

The Whizzinator, for example, was not reinstated on his first try after a one-year banishment, so he is still banished.

To get back in, Ricky needs to do for the next year that which he was unable to do during his short return to the NFL -- produce on a consistent basis urine specimens that do not contain evidence of the ingestion of banned substances.

Our gut feeling? Williams will never play in the NFL again.

================

KFFL
    NFL | Theismann weighs in on R. Williams
    Tue, 30 May 2006 09:46:07 -0700

ESPN.com reports former CFL and NFL QB Joe Theismann has weighed in on RB Ricky Williams signing with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL. Theismann said he was "embarrassed right now to be a Toronto Argonaut" in an interview with ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd. "I don't ever want to be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Williams as a football player. He's a disgrace to the game. The man doesn't deserve to play football. He should go on with his life and treat his drug addictions or go do whatever he wants to do. He's been suspended from the National Football League on multiple occasions. Doesn't anybody have any class anywhere? For gosh sakes, let the kid go do what he wants to do. He doesn't want to play football," Theismann, who is part of ESPN's Monday Night Football announcing crew, said.

====================

Ex-Argo Theismann calls Williams 'disgrace to game'
    Updated: May 30, 2006, 12:27 PM ET
    espn.com

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

wow.... burned

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    He needs to play somewhere and stay in shape, and get off the wacky tobacky, so he can get his mess fixed with the dolphins. Ricky: You can get high as much as you want after your career is over.
    Ricky Williams is a fricken loser! Why are people so infactuated with him?

The guy should have been banned for a year previously to this last time, instead he was allowed to come back & play for Miami.
    I think the biggest joke of all is..Steve Howe, when he played for the Yankmees..wasn't he busted like 7 times for failing league tests ? WTF, how many chances they gonna give these guys ?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd
    :shock: How would you like to grow up with a last mame like that?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Get paid Ricky. My hard earned tax dollars are not going to pay for your kids. Run Ricky run.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    CFL | Williams not worried about Theismann's comments
    Tue, 30 May 2006 13:11:02 -0700

Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports Toronto Argonauts RB Ricky Williams isn't worried about Joe Theismann's latest harsh assessment of him. After all, Williams said Tuesday, May 30, he knows an apology will be forthcoming. After practice today, Williams noted that Theismann has often been critical of him in the past, consistently bashing anyone who is willing to associate with the controversial star. However, Theismann reverses course when he sees Williams in person, the player said. "Every time he says something, here's what happens: He says a remark about me that's offensive, then when he has to (broadcast) one of our (Dolphins) games, he comes in and apologizes and says, 'I'm sorry,'" Williams said. Williams indicated that he would accept an apology from Theismann.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"Vike_Turner" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Vike_Turner" wrote:
    Since I am a CFL season ticket holder I am happy that he will be in the league (even though he isn't on my team), and I hope he does well. All he keeps getting pinched for is weed and people want to hang him for it. Of course it is dumb because it is crushing his career, but it isn't even a performance enhancer and probably shouldn't even be on the banned substance list in the NFL.

I know for a fact that a lot of the guys in the CFL blaze up, probably because that is a better way for them to cut loose than drinking because it doesn't ruin their conditioning. Ricky will fit right in and will probably never pass a drug test for the rest of his life. That will turn out to be a gain for the CFL and a loss for the Dolphins, which is a win-win in my books.
    I for one would like to see that fact backed up. What proof do you have?
    I have been in the same room with a few players while they were hitting it, and I know people that have had "dealings" with several other players. That was players on my home team and with one other CFL team, and I have no reason to believe that the situation is any different with the other 6 teams in the league. There is no testing system in the CFL, and weed use is fairly common in Canada, and is much less persecuted than it is in the US, so when players are up here it happens.
    Interesting choice of words... Did you mean "prosecuted" or do you believe Americans who are processed through the criminal justice system for breaking drug laws are "persecuted?"
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Vike_Turner is offline Training Camp

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    "Vike_Turner" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Vike_Turner" wrote:
    Since I am a CFL season ticket holder I am happy that he will be in the league (even though he isn't on my team), and I hope he does well. All he keeps getting pinched for is weed and people want to hang him for it. Of course it is dumb because it is crushing his career, but it isn't even a performance enhancer and probably shouldn't even be on the banned substance list in the NFL.

I know for a fact that a lot of the guys in the CFL blaze up, probably because that is a better way for them to cut loose than drinking because it doesn't ruin their conditioning. Ricky will fit right in and will probably never pass a drug test for the rest of his life. That will turn out to be a gain for the CFL and a loss for the Dolphins, which is a win-win in my books.
    I for one would like to see that fact backed up. What proof do you have?
    I have been in the same room with a few players while they were hitting it, and I know people that have had "dealings" with several other players. That was players on my home team and with one other CFL team, and I have no reason to believe that the situation is any different with the other 6 teams in the league. There is no testing system in the CFL, and weed use is fairly common in Canada, and is much less persecuted than it is in the US, so when players are up here it happens.
    Interesting choice of words... Did you mean "prosecuted" or do you believe Americans who are processed through the criminal justice system for breaking drug laws are "persecuted?"
    I had it right with persecuted. It is only weed and the fact that it is put in the same class with heroin, cocaine, and steroids is rediculous, especially when the much more dangerous alcohol and tobacco are legal and are cash crutches for governments.

Americans that are processed through the criminal justice system for breaking marijuana laws are a sad waste of money. If it is going to be illegal save the court costs and give them a ticket, or better yet legalize and tax it.

Put the money from that into a new stadium.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast