Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

Re: Ricky Williams suspended again

what a dumb@ss :roll:

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    What drug was in his system this time?
    If it wasn't MJ, then I bet it was something herbal, related to his heathiness.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Feb. 21, 2006, 1:56AM
    NFL

[size=18px]Williams appealing test[/size]

Chronicle News Services

MIAMI - Troubled running back Ricky Williams is appealing a positive drug test that could force the Miami Dolphins star to sit out the 2006 season, a person familiar with the case said Monday.

If the positive test result is upheld, it would be his fourth violation of the substance-abuse policy, meaning at least a one-year suspension.

Previous positive tests were for marijuana, which Williams acknowledged using. But the latest test involved a drug other than marijuana, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because league policy is to keep test results confidential.

Williams appealing test
    "because league policy is to keep test results confidential."

LMAO, it sounds like the ONLY thing "confidential" is the source!

:grin:
    My conspiracy theory:

The Broncos want him to be there RB. They new somehow that he was in trouble over a non-MJ substance. They leaked it to the Denver news. The Denver news worked on collaborating the source with the help of a Miami paper(source). The are hoping that this thing will be dropped because it has broken confidentiality. RW walks in the end. Miami gives him to Denver for pennies on the dollar. Denver wins the superbowl!

Good year for the VIkings to rebuild.

That was out there in left field somewhere.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

My thought has changed a little on this now that I hear that it isn't pot. If it is something herbal, then maybe he will get away with it and not be suspended. Depends on what it is, sounds like RW has been successful on staying clean..

My thinking is he will not be suspended, and actually go on to have a great season next year. That is all you can hope for a guy who has so much talent.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

My question is this;

Williams missed the first four games of the season and was fined for the second and third violations of the substance abuse program. Those positive tests reportedly occurred in December 2003 and in the 2004 offseason.
    Why was Ricky not suspended for 1 year after his 3rd violation of a failed test, when the league mandatory is a 1 year suspension?

He only received a fine.

Different strokes, for different folks?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Ehhhhhh, I hope he leaves and never comes back to the NFL - that way we won't have to hear all that "Let's trade for Ricky Williams!!!!" crap...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]Appeal won't be easy for Ricky[/size]By Jeff Darlington

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ricky Williams is used to eluding trouble on the field, but he might not find an escape route in his latest run-in with the NFL.

The Dolphins running back is appealing a third failed drug test, but an attorney who has represented nearly 100 NFL players in the process said that won't be easy.

"You have to understand, the player has to go in front of the same people that just found him in violation and convince him that they're wrong," said Michael Baird, a Chicago-based attorney who estimates that less than 10 percent of the league's appeals have been successful. "You have to convince them that they made a mistake. That's never easy to do with anyone."

Unlike Philadelphia receiver Terrell Owens, who was reinstated after being suspended by the Eagles for detrimental conduct, Williams will not plead his case to neutral arbitrators. Instead, Baird said, he will face the same league drug board members and medical adviser who determined that he failed his most recent test.

"There's no real standard, either," Baird said Tuesday. "You can't say, 'You did this for these three guys in the past, so you should do this for this guy.' They can do whatever they want.

"In American law, that's what we do. We go to the books, we find previous cases, and we show the judge that this is the way the courts have ruled previously. (The judge) is required to follow precedent, but the NFL doesn't have to follow anything."

Williams, who faces a one-year suspension, had failed two previous tests after using marijuana. But, according to sources, marijuana was not the source of his recent failed test. The player's mother, Sandy Williams, said one of the many supplements her son takes as part of his yoga training might be the problem.

Whatever the case, Williams and his agent, Leigh Steinberg, must persuade the NFL that he is the victim of a faulty test, Baird said. Based on the league's drug policy, Baird said, unknowingly ingesting a banned substance or supplement is not a plausible excuse.

"The bottom line is, even if the player was unaware they've been given the drug, the test doesn't require intent," said Baird, who does not know the specifics of Williams' appeal. "The standard is so strict, if the NFL wants to enforce it strictly, you're basically sunk."

Steinberg has declined to discuss the appeal.

Baird said his successful appeals were based on one of two factors — a faulty testing procedure or false-positive results. He said he has never won a case because a legal substance was mistaken for an illegal one — like an herb testing positive for a banned substance.

"But I could see that happening,' Baird said.

Thousands of different herbs are used in accordance with the study of ayurveda, a holistic lifestyle that Williams practices, according to his former instructor, Marc Halpern.

Halpern said he never heard of someone failing a drug test because of the herbs, but he realizes that under the league's drug program, Williams is tested as many as 10 times a month.

"There are some herbs that have stimulant qualities and sedative qualities," Halpern said Monday. "How they would interact with such a test would be unknown. I don't think anyone could predict it."

Williams' best chance, Baird said, might be in the reexamination of his test samples. When players are tested, the urine samples are divided into an A and B sample.

"They test one and keep the other,' Baird said.

The B sample is tested during the appeals process and that result could favor the player.

"The testing they do for the B sample is more sophisticated than the A sample,' Baird said. "I've had cases where the A sample came up positive and the B sample came up negative."

Without that false-positive sample, though, Baird believes a repeat offender is at a disadvantage.

"Once somebody has gone past their third violation, they're pretty much at the mercy of the NFL,' he said. "It's really not that easy."

Appeal won't be easy

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Ehhhhhh, I hope he leaves and never comes back to the NFL - that way we won't have to hear all that "Let's trade for Ricky Williams!!!!" crap...
    I wouldn't worry about Williams coming to play for the Vikings, after all we are a dome team and everyone knows how much he loves grass. :grin:

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

This will be close. I hope he gets a fair shake.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"scottishvike" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about Williams coming to play for the Vikings, after all we are a dome team and everyone knows how much he loves grass. :grin:
    :sign5: Rimshot!

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678