Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Rex Ryan is the man

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=53240.msg1007724#msg1007724 date=1256156589]
    [quote author=C Mac D link=topic=53240.msg1007721#msg1007721 date=1256156331]
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=53240.msg1007718#msg1007718 date=1256156005]
    [quote author=C Mac D link=topic=53240.msg1007676#msg1007676 date=1256152615]
    ... Yet, when we are going for the WIN against the Ravens, we do three straight runs. Makes zero sense.
    Three straight runs after a 50-yard completion, you mean, right?
    Or are you just choosing to ignore that part of the sequence?

=Z=
    Right... so we settle for the field goal while we're down by 1? We didn't even TRY for the end zone.

In all honesty, we gave the Ravens an opportunity to win by doing that. Luckily, they blew it.

Look at it how you will, and I'll do the same... but we could have been up by 6 or 7... instead of two.
    And what if the pass doesn't work out?
    What if Favre throws a pick like we know he's prone to, then suddenly we just lost the game.

I'm kind of torn on this too, but I really don't think running it three times was necessarily a bad decision.
    So Chilly doesn't have faith in Favre? Gotcha.

That's all well and great... but we settled for a field goal and won because their kicker missed. It was a bonehead coaching decision no matter how you look at it.
    ???
    I didn't say he didn't have faith in Favre, but our team's bread and butter is still AD despite having an old HOF QB on the team.

We could have just as easily scored a TD with Peterson.
    I definitely disagree that it was a bonehead coaching decision.
    I've heard the exact opposite from the TV "experts".
    Not that they know more than us, but..well... yeah, actually they probably do know more than us.
    Still that's not the say all end all but to say it's a bonehead coaching "no matter how you look at it", seems a bit of an overstatement.
    Plus that coaching decision ended up winning us the game.
    Favre might have thrown a pick in that situation - see his last pass as a Packer.
    Peterson and our O-line should have been able to pick up a first down.

[/quote]

So... why throw it 3 times in a row against the Browns when we have the lead? Just curious.

And the comment about not having faith in Favre...

What if Favre throws a pick like we know he's prone to, then suddenly we just lost the game.
    If those were Childress' thoughts, he's a coward.
    [/quote]

Why throw it 3 times in a row with the Browns?
    I dont even remember this, I thought we were kicking jiggly butt the second half?
    Hell, wasn't TJack playing?
    They were probably out there practicing.

So your suggestion is to play the same exact way in similar situations?
    Never change it up a bit?
    Isn't that one thing you used to bash on Childress for?

Is he a coward?
    Or is he playing his team's strengths?
    [/quote]
    I'm looking at the play by play and I don't see where Favre threw 3 consecutive times in the second half. He threw 3 consecutive times at the end of the first half, but we were losing at that point.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200909...ost-playbyplay
    [/quote]

Nope. Sorry dude. We were up 10-6

We threw the ball three times before the half while we had the lead, only to punt the ball and Cribbs got a TD to take the lead.

Drive starts at 2:23

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playby...13005&period=2

Notice the failed pass attempts only take about :40 seconds off the clock and allowed Cleveland a go-ahead TD... hence my criticism of Childress' clock management and decision making.

And where did I say the drive was in the second half? Oh... I didn't.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Boy... sure got quiet in here.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"C" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=C Mac D link=topic=53240.msg1007731#msg1007731 date=1256157259]
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=53240.msg1007724#msg1007724 date=1256156589]
    ... Yet, when we are going for the WIN against the Ravens, we do three straight runs. Makes zero sense.

=Z=
    Right... so we settle for the field goal while we're down by 1? We didn't even TRY for the end zone.

In all honesty, we gave the Ravens an opportunity to win by doing that. Luckily, they blew it.

Look at it how you will, and I'll do the same... but we could have been up by 6 or 7... instead of two.

I'm kind of torn on this too, but I really don't think running it three times was necessarily a bad decision.

That's all well and great... but we settled for a field goal and won because their kicker missed. It was a bonehead coaching decision no matter how you look at it.
    ???
    I didn't say he didn't have faith in Favre, but our team's bread and butter is still AD despite having an old HOF QB on the team.

Not that they know more than us, but..well... yeah, actually they probably do know more than us.
    Still that's not the say all end all but to say it's a bonehead coaching "no matter how you look at it", seems a bit of an overstatement.
    Favre might have thrown a pick in that situation - see his last pass as a Packer.

[/quote]

So... why throw it 3 times in a row against the Browns when we have the lead? Just curious.

[/quote]

I dont even remember this, I thought we were kicking jiggly butt the second half?

Is he a coward?
    [/quote]
    I'm looking at the play by play and I don't see where Favre threw 3 consecutive times in the second half. He threw 3 consecutive times at the end of the first half, but we were losing at that point.
    [/quote]

We threw the ball three times before the half while we had the lead, only to punt the ball and Cribbs got a TD to take the lead.

Notice the failed pass attempts only take about :40 seconds off the clock and allowed Cleveland a go-ahead TD... hence my criticism of Childress' clock management and decision making.

[/quote]

So your criticizing Childress for passing three times in one game, but then also criticize him for running it three times in the Baltimore game?
    So what are you suggesting he did in those situations...now that you have 20/20 hindsight?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"C" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

=Z=

???

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is he a coward?
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

And where did I say the drive was in the second half?
    [/quote]
    So we had a 3 and out passing earlier in the year with a 4 point lead in the first half, that has nothing to do with the point at hand, why did you bring it up again?

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=53240.msg1007732#msg1007732 date=1256157588]

=Z=

???

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is he a coward?
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

So your criticizing Childress for passing three times in one game, but then also criticize him for running it three times in the Baltimore game?
    So what are you suggesting he did in those situations...now that you have 20/20 hindsight?
    [/quote]

Well, I've explained a few more critisms too...

In any case, it's more of a situational problem... we have the lead in the 2nd quarter against the Browns right before the two minute warning and we throw it three times. Mind boggling. After taking almost no time off the clock after the two minute warning, we punt it directly to the best KR in the game and he gets a TD. Perhaps a few runs would have helped? Maybe one?

Then, against the Ravens, after our defense has been torched the entire 4th quarter, we decide to play it safe... settle for a field goal and let them have a chance at winning the game... which, they really should have. Luckily for us, their kicker sucks.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"C" wrote:
    Boy... sure got quiet in here.
    Its almost like someone turns a switch off when a few on here finally catch on to what someone is trying to say.

Still, all in all, ya gotta love PPO and all of her characters.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"C" wrote:

In any case, it's more of a situational problem... we have the lead in the 2nd quarter against the Browns right before the two minute warning and we throw it three times. Mind boggling. After taking almost no time off the clock after the two minute warning, we punt it directly to the best KR in the game and he gets a TD. Perhaps a few runs would have helped? Maybe one?

Then, against the Ravens, after our defense has been torched the entire 4th quarter, we decide to play it safe... settle for a field goal and let them have a chance at winning the game... which, they really should have. Luckily for us, their kicker sucks.
    I think you're off base with both of these situational critiques.
    Neither situation was really clear cut either way.

In Cleveland, there was over 2 minutes left in the half for the drive that resulted in the Cribbs punt return TD.
    The Browns had three timeouts and the two-minute warning to stop the clock.
    If they stopped the Vikes, they were going to get the ball back whether the Vikes called run or pass.
    The reason they gave up the TD there wasn't play calling, it was a couple guys on the return team not staying in their lanes.

Against Baltimore on Sunday, the Vikes had a first at the 18 with 2:51 remaining.
    The Ravens had two timeouts left.
    The ideal result is that you kick a field goal with 0:02 left on the clock so that by the time it sails through the uprights the game is over.
    Failing that, a TD and 2-point conversion with as little time left as possible is good.

The Vikes ran on first and second down and ate up Baltimore's timeouts.
    You could throw in a play action there, but running twice is not a bad way to go.
    On third down and nine to go, you're looking at giving the ball to Adrian Peterson who ran for 9+ yards on about 15% of his carries to that point in the game, or throwing the ball which had worked on 3rd down about 36% of the time up to that point.
    Then factor in the negatives that could happen when throwing the ball and the chances of stopping the Ravens on the ensuing drive.
    It's not an obvious decision like the bad punt call against the Titans.

The bigger problem with that situation is that the Vikings have way too much trouble running the ball and the clock considering the great running backs the team has.
    Running backwards on first down so that you have 3rd and 9 instead of say 3rd and 4?
    That's bad.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Overlord" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

I think you're off base with both of these situational critiques.
    Neither situation was really clear cut either way.

In Cleveland, there was over 2 minutes left in the half for the drive that resulted in the Cribbs punt return TD.

The Browns had three timeouts and the two-minute warning to stop the clock.
    If they stopped the Vikes, they were going to get the ball back whether the Vikes called run or pass.
    The reason they gave up the TD there wasn't play calling, it was a couple guys on the return team not staying in their lanes.

Against Baltimore on Sunday, the Vikes had a first at the 18 with 2:51 remaining.
    The Ravens had two timeouts left.
    The ideal result is that you kick a field goal with 0:02 left on the clock so that by the time it sails through the uprights the game is over.
    Failing that, a TD and 2-point conversion with as little time left as possible is good.

The Vikes ran on first and second down and ate up Baltimore's timeouts.
    You could throw in a play action there, but running twice is not a bad way to go.
    On third down and nine to go, you're looking at giving the ball to Adrian Peterson who ran for 9+ yards on about 15% of his carries to that point in the game, or throwing the ball which had worked on 3rd down about 36% of the time up to that point.
    Then factor in the negatives that could happen when throwing the ball and the chances of stopping the Ravens on the ensuing drive.
    It's not an obvious decision like the bad punt call against the Titans.

The bigger problem with that situation is that the Vikings have way too much trouble running the ball and the clock considering the great running backs the team has.
    Running backwards on first down so that you have 3rd and 9 instead of say 3rd and 4?
    That's bad.
    trouble running the ball? Peterson's doing better so far than last year.
    After 6 games last year he only had 563 yds and 3 td's after 6 games as opposed to 618 and 7 td's this year

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    That's bad.
    After 6 games last year he only had 563 yds and 3 td's after 6 games as opposed to 618 and 7 td's this year
    You're probably right.
    I'm just thinking of the end of the Ravens and Green Bay games off the top of my head really and not with reference to anything.
    Even then, when I think about it AD had a long run late this Sunday.
    But I just have this vision of the Vikes that they should be running it for 4 or 5 yards at a time as the clock ticks down.
    Might not really be a fair criticism.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Overlord" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    That's bad.
    You're probably right.
    I'm just thinking of the end of the Ravens and Green Bay games off the top of my head really and not with reference to anything.
    Even then, when I think about it AD had a long run late this Sunday.
    But I just have this vision of the Vikes that they should be running it for 4 or 5 yards at a time as the clock ticks down.
    Might not really be a fair criticism.
    It is odd though, he does seem to be off to a slower pace this year, but really, he's not at all.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567