Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dieter is offline Training Camp

Request to all American NFL Fans from a Canadian NFL fan

Hi everyone;

I am a NFL fan from Canada (British Columbia) writing to my American football friends to ask a favor.

You may or may not be aware the Buffalo Bills will begin in the 2008/09 season to play an annual regular season game in Toronto. As you may or may not also be aware that the permanent relocation of the Bills or another club to Toronto is a very real possibility through the NFL plans to go global.

There are many of us in Canada who are fans of both the NFL and the CFL who are very concerned that should the NFL move to Toronto it would pose serious problems, potentially even cause the collapse of the Canadian Football League due to the amount of corporate dollars it would suck out of the rest of the CFL teams across the country. This is the opinion of many owners of CFL teams as well as fans. (The greater Toronto area is a big portion of the Canadian population)

Personally, I never was too concerned about the NFL coming north as I didn't think the league would make a move if it might jeopardize the CFL. The NFL is certainly big enough that it doesn't need a team in Toronto. The NFL is already huge among Canadian football fans as we watch it on TV and many of us close enough to NFL cities make road trips to games. (I grew up north of Minnesota and thus am a diehard Vikings fan.
    I now live closer to Seattle so make a trip there every year.) The CFL has long served as not only a league for Canadians to play due to Canadian content rules, but also as a feeder league for the NFL. Many American collage players who don't make the grade directly out of university spend some time here before moving back to the NFL.
    If not for the CFL many of these players never would have made it back to the NFL.
    Doug Flutie, Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia and countless others will attest to what the CFL meant to them.

If the NFL was to come to Canada, and if it was to cause the collapse of the 100 year old Canadian Football League and it's eight clubs, the fans of those teams would only have the NFL on TV and the occassional road trip to look forward to.
    I am speaking for all the CFL/NFL fans in Canada who want both our game and yours to enjoy.

I ask that you contact the owners of your NFL club and the commissioner of the NFL and ask that he respect the CFL fan and continue to grow your great game in the U.S.
    Placing a team in Toronto benefits one city, while hurting the rest of us.

Thanks for your support
    http://www.okanagansun.ca
    https://twitter.com/Okanagan_Sun

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Request to all American NFL Fans from a Canadian NFL fan

I actually agree completely.
    The market base cannot support both the CFL and the NFL, and it would be a travesty to lose the CFL.
    I had not given any thought to contacting Vikings ownership... that is a good idea.
    Let me do some research on the contact information and I will post it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

ive already been on board with the government proposal (i believe somebody in BC or Alberta) to keep the NFL out of Canada..im an American, living in Winnipeg, MB, and ive grown to love the CFL, and i hope that nothing ever threatens its existence

the NFL and NBA need to realize that these countries are fine without us..the NBA especially is trying to destroy the european leagues that provide the league with so much euro talent..the NFL makes more than enough money as it is in the United States, and it should stay that way..when we went over and played in England, all people over there talked about was how we ruined Man U's soccer field..these people have their own league and sports with different levels of popularity, and it needs to be left that way
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Thanks guys

"Dieter" wrote:
    Thanks guys
    a bomber fan too! excellent..you got season tickets?
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Dang here I thought maybe it was some preverted request from little miss sixty.. :hopes dashed:
    ;D

"pack93z" wrote:
    Dang here I thought maybe it was some preverted request from little miss sixty.. :hopes dashed:
    ;D
    hahaha i wish

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't mind the games being played here it gives us a chance to see the games in person, which most Canadian NFL fans never have. Toronto would not be able to support the nfl club. the argos barely get anybody goign to the game as is.
    If they were to move, I don't think it would effect the cfl that much. i wouldn't change the teams i cheer for (esks and vikings) just because there is a nfl team in a canadian city and i assume most fans would do the same. buffalo is really close to toronto as is, so a lot of bills fans would make the trip north and vice versa.
    We're bringing purple back.

"gregair13" wrote:
    I don't mind the games being played here it gives us a chance to see the games in person, which most Canadian NFL fans never have. Toronto would not be able to support the nfl club. the argos barely get anybody goign to the game as is.
    If they were to move, I don't think it would effect the cfl that much. i wouldn't change the teams i cheer for (esks and vikings) just because there is a nfl team in a canadian city and i assume most fans would do the same. buffalo is really close to toronto as is, so a lot of bills fans would make the trip north and vice versa.
    Some of the powers that be of the CFL think it WOULD
    risk the leage.
    Why chance it for the benefit of one city? People in southern Ontario have a 40 minute drive to see the Bills.
    Why take Buffalo's team and risk the entire CFL so Torontonians save a little gas?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"gregair13" wrote:
    Do you think the reason Argo games can't sell out has to do with the fact that Toronto can't support a team?
    or do you think it's because of the quality of the team.
    Maple Leafs games have no problem selling out.
    I think the reason is that most people (yes even Canadians)
    would much rather watch an NFL game with better players than sit in a shitty stadium designed for Baseball to watch mediocre football.
    I myself am Canadia, but I do not watch much CFL at all, only if nothing else is on.

Dieter, you mention that you grew up north of Minnesota, Was that by any chance Thunder Bay?
    Thats where I'm living.
    I knew of only 1 Dieter there too, he took course with someone I know to get his MBA (your gonna have to guess who)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast