COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Report: NFL, Stringer’s widow settle

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2443
    A lawsuit filed by Kelci Stringer, the widow of former Vikings offensive tackle Korey Stringer, against the NFL has been settled, according to this report.

The agreement between the sides says the league will support Stringer’s efforts to create a heat illness prevention program for the benefit of athletes of all ages. Other terms of the settlement were not revealed.
    And there is an article attached that says the football equipment he was wearing contributed to his death.
    http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/01/10/stringer.ART_ART_01-10-09_B3_6ACGEM0.html?sid=101
    A federal lawsuit filed by the widow of former Ohio State University lineman Korey Stringer has gained steam in recent months, bolstered by research on the helmet and pads Stringer wore the day he died.

That equipment, a recent study concluded, contributed significantly to Stringer's hyperthermia and death on Aug. 1, 2001, at the Minnesota Vikings training camp.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Report: NFL, Stringer’s widow settle

My sympathy for her has turned into disgust over time.
    I support the changes she has lobbied for, and I think that the NFL is a better place now.
    But she is IMHO more interested in the money.
    Suing the equipment manufacturers?
    Come on...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    My sympathy for her has turned into disgust over time.
    I support the changes she has lobbied for, and I think that the NFL is a better place now.
    But she is IMHO more interested in the money.
    Suing the equipment manufacturers?
    Come on...
    I would bet she is just following the advice of her lawyer. Throw everything at the problem and see what sticks.
    I would agree that it seems far fetched that the manufacturer be held responsible but that will be left up to the courts to decide. The fact that she is trying to change things for other players tells me she cares about more than just the money, though I would assume she wants the money too. I also want money.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I disagree her anger is turing attention to players health.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

If it was determined that the equipment played a role in his death then point it out so more steps can be taken to prevent awful things like the loss of Korey. Bless you #77, may your passing bring change, and further research into heat stroke prevention.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

this is horses#!t. it appears they only tested Riddell equipment to bolster their suit. I would imagine if they tested ALL types of pads and helmets, they would find that all football equipment makes you heat up faster. DUH! But that wouldn't help their suit.
    (there is one type that gets hooked up to a cooling station on the sidelines, but every football team at every level in the country will not be able to afford it.)
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.