Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Report: New start-up league could rival NFL

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote]
    "Wiledaddy" wrote:
    "NodakPaul]<br" wrote:

If memory serves the USFL was a bit more succesful than the XFL, granted neither could stand up the the NFL juggernaut.
    USFL had more of an impact on the NFL, and the players were higher caliber, but in terms of monitory success and ticket sales, the XFL beat it.
    Partly because the XFL was owned by NBC and had television access (which the USFL lost in their lawsuit against the NFL), and partly because they were a single entity instead of a franchise.

Either way, both were doomed from the start, just like this one is.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Vince McMahon start the XFL?

The XFL was a professional American football league that played for one season in 2001. The league was founded by Vince McMahon, better known as the owner of World Wrestling Federation.

Created as a joint venture between NBC and the World Wrestling Federation under the company name "XFL, LLC", the XFL was created as a "single-entity league", meaning that the teams were not individually owned and operated franchises (as in the NFL), but that the league was operated as a single business unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

All it takes is money, lots of it though.

If a group of billionaires actually got together to get it done, I think that it would have a chance.

Another key component, imo, is taking it abroad. I think it would be neat to have teams in various countries. And I'm not talking about sending guys from the US to play else where, each country setting up their own franchise.

It would be interesting. Billionaires are everywhere. It's possible.

Wiledaddy is offline Waterboy

Thanks Singer. ;D

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    [quote]
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Wiledaddy" wrote:
    "NodakPaul]<br" wrote:

If memory serves the USFL was a bit more succesful than the XFL, granted neither could stand up the the NFL juggernaut.
    USFL had more of an impact on the NFL, and the players were higher caliber, but in terms of monitory success and ticket sales, the XFL beat it.
    Partly because the XFL was owned by NBC and had television access (which the USFL lost in their lawsuit against the NFL), and partly because they were a single entity instead of a franchise.

Either way, both were doomed from the start, just like this one is.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Vince McMahon start the XFL?

The XFL was a professional American football league that played for one season in 2001. The league was founded by Vince McMahon, better known as the owner of World Wrestling Federation.

Created as a joint venture between NBC and the World Wrestling Federation under the company name "XFL, LLC", the XFL was created as a "single-entity league", meaning that the teams were not individually owned and operated franchises (as in the NFL), but that the league was operated as a single business unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL
    Which, imo, was exactly it's downfall.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Wiledaddy" wrote:
    [quote]
    "NodakPaul]<br" wrote:

I may be mistaken but I thought the XFL was owned by the WWE and I believe the financial implications you are talking about could have been a bit more driven by the timing of the challenging leagues. the XFL was well after the USFL and inflation would make a significant dent in the dollars and cents.
    It was a joint venture between NBC and the WWE, but enjoyed a prime time Saturday night spot from NBC.
    Both the XFL and USFL were financial failures, but the XFL less so - NBC and WWE lost about $70 million each on the XFL when it folded in 2001.
    When the USFL folded in 1986 it was approximately $160 million in debt.
    That would be roughly equal to $255 million in 2001 terms.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Wiledaddy is offline Waterboy

Fair enough Nodak. I guess time just warped my memory of the USFL I actually remember it being a league of significane for a while.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

The USFL had Jim Kelly, Larry Czonka, Reggie White and others.
    The XFL had..........Jesse Ventura.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Wiledaddy" wrote:
    Fair enough Nodak. I guess time just warped my memory of the USFL I actually remember it being a league of significane for a while.
    Don't get me wrong.
    I liked the USFL and couldn't stand the XFL.
    I think the USFL brought innovations to the game that made the NFL that much better, while the best the XFL could do is a scramble for the ball instead of a coin flip.
    :

I just recognize that the XFL was the closest any startup league has come to being successful (if you can call a $140 million loss successful).
    Had the USFL not tried to move into fall games and compete against the NFL, I think they would have been mildly profitable in a few years, and probably incorporated into the NFL the way the AFL was too.
    But instead that chose to take on the giant... and they lost.
    Too bad.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Here is some interesting information:

At first the USFL competed with the older, more established National Football League by trying not to compete directly with it, primarily by playing its games on a March-June schedule but also having different playing rules, most notably:

The two-point conversion (since adopted by the NFL, in 1994).
    For the 1985 season, a method of challenging officials' rulings on the field via instant replay (using a system that is almost identical to that used by the NFL today).
    Initially the league was viewed as innovative and a serious challenger to the establishment NFL thanks to its willingness to sign marquee talent such as Herschel Walker, Brian Sipe, Doug Flutie, Mike Rozier, Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Steve Young and other young stars of the day.

Walker.\?
    Boy that name sound familiar from somewhere!
    ;D ;D ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usfl

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usfl

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast