Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

Report from Behind Enemy Lines (Steelers)

I was in Pittsburgh this week on a business trip, and because I work (and have in the past worked several different jobs) in the steel industry I have lived breifly in the Pittsburgh area and I travel there alot still.

While I am as purple through and through as they come, I always am a little envious of Steelers fans when I spend time in the city. Not just this trip to see them all still basking in the glow of the Superbowl victory. Every time I am here I am struck by how connected this entire city (or at least the male population) is to the Steelers. I just love how when you are in any of the metals related industrial sites everyone has steelers clothing of some kind on, be it a t-shirt, hat, or when I am in the steel mills darn near everyone either has a steelers sticker on their hard hat, tool box, or the piece of equipment they are running.

Just this week I was watching a large press operator in his steelers hat...

...forming corrugated sheet metal, when I noticed up on the side of the press itself some one had scrawled "Steelers" in the place where the manufacturers name plate was located probably 40 years ago...

...I had to take a picture as I thought it just exemplified this city where almost without exception the citizens live and die with their Steelers.

Now I know we love our Vikings, but I have never seen another city that takes on the persona of its football team quite like Pittsburgh. And it kind of make me jealous.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Report from Behind Enemy Lines (Steelers)

That is cool.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

The Iron range is kinda like that for the vikings.

coreyd is offline Coach

Those are some cool pics. Steeler fans are pretty die hard. And they should be. A lot of history there.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

Yeah that is the other thing that you gotta respect about the Steelers, their history, and the way the Rooney Family seems to stay the course and not the roller coaster ride that many other teams go through. They know their teams personality and it matches that of the people of their city.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

i don't respect anything about pitsburgh or philly, they are almost as arrogant as people from new york
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    i don't respect anything about pitsburgh or philly, they are almost as arrogant as people from new york
    Unlike fans of the Giants, Jets and Eagles.. Fans of the Steelers have good reason to be arrogant. Are you honestly saying you wouldn't be as arrogant if the Vikings won 5 Superbowls including the most recent one? Every Packers site would be swamped by Vikings fans rubbing their faces in it..

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

It all starts with a great Owner.....And the Steelers have on of the best ever...If not the BEST. Period...

I think Wilf is going to try to be that same type of owner also.

Have we found our true leader in ownership?.....Time will only tell.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:
    It all starts with a great Owner.....And the Steelers have on of the best ever...If not the BEST. Period...

I think Wilf is going to try to be that same type of owner also.

Have we found our true leader in ownership?.....Time will only tell.....
    Agreed!!

I think the late Wellington Mera(spelled?), the man who owned the Giants, is a great example of a quality owner. I think that Wilf is going to try to live up to his standards. Wilf formerly a Giants fan (could still be wouldn't that be an awful joke) and all.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    I think that being in the midwest, you and I have put up with a lot of bandwagon Steeler fans(the worse) and or true Steeler fans that have had to come up with defense mechanisms to survive in the off years. But I do respect there ORGANIZATION and most of there fans for the reasons that Turboe originally posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast