Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Replay now permanent in NFL

I think part of what's wrong is the way ref's interpret some of the rules, not necessarily what's recorded.
    For example Delhomme's fumble last year, being ruled an incomplete pass.
    It was an obvious fumble, but due to the concrete wording/definition in the rulebooks, it was ruled an incomplete pass.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"JDogg926" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I love instant replay, we get to sit around with our thumbs in our dimply buttocks pining over the upcoming call, watching 30 different replays and sometimes they even manage to get the call wrong. Save my time if you aren't going to get it right using the camera don't bother.
    Unfortunately right now, the replay official doesn't have access to everything and all the angles that are available and that we see on TV, but I read they're supposed to be pushing for adding that stuff.
    But, I'm sure they'll still manage to get some stuff wrong.
    Either way, I'm still in favor of it.
    That's inaccurate.
    The Replay Official has access to every camera angle which the covering network (FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN or NFLN) provides for any particular game.
    Your impression that they don't have access to all of them is probably based upon two things:

The networks don't bring the same number of cameras to every game.
    The economic reasons for this are obvious, but I think a minimum number of cameras needs to be dictated in the TV contracts when the NFL signs them (if they aren't already).
    I would say, at a MINIMUM, NFL games need:

* Goal-line cameras from both sidelines at both ends of the field (4 cameras)

* High end-zone cameras for both ends of the field (2 cameras)

* High side-line cameras for both sides of the field (2 cameras)

* Low side-line cameras (the ones on trolleys) for both sides of the field (2 cameras)

* At least two roving cameras on each side of the field (4 total)

* Total:
    14 cameras
    We saw on at least one occasion last year that FOX did not have the proper cameras available for a Vikings game (I believe it was the Cardinals game when Chester fumbled at the goal-line and it was scooped up and returned for a TD).

The replays and shots shown inside of the Metrodome are NOT the network cameras.
    This is *very* important.
    The Vikings contract out the in-dome TV coverage to one of the local stations and they provide their own cameras.
    Thus - what we might see at the Dome on a replay (whether on the big screen or in the concourses) is NOT the same thing as what the network is showing - and, thus, is NOT what the replay official sees.
    I believe it was the same fumble mentioned above where the in-house cameras showed that Chester's knee was down but that replay was not available to the replay official because FOX didn't have the correct camera.

Just a bit of clarification.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Also, I've heard rumors that they may be switching to HD equipment, now that it's here to stay.
    Not sure how much of a difference that would make, but at least they're aware that there's room for improvement.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"digital420" wrote:
    I can understand the arguement of who gets to wear it.. if your changing guys it's possible to have multiple guys wearing the device in case of substitutions. now say at one point u have 3 guys on the field with the thing on..

that's a bit unfair...

or say 2 guys get on and one comes running off cause you can only have one.. and u get either 1 man down play.. or delay of game, or waste a t.o..

i would be asking bigger questions though..

what's the communication signal?

and is the home team able to tap in?.. u over hear the D formation.. and build yer plays against it..

seems kinda like whta the giants did 2 us once..

loose all communications cept coach 2 coach..

DiGiTaL

say that the device goes on 2 sets of helmets..

you get 1 helmet if u wear the device
    and 1 if u don't.

that's a good proposal isn't it?

(wonder how many times there will be delay of game, or 12 men on the field while they get who's wearing the helmet issue solved)

Unfair, sure. But isn't that just a practical problem. How hard can it be to make it so that only one player on the field wears it. Is our technology really not in a better state.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"cogitans" wrote:
    Unfair, sure. But isn't that just a practical problem. How hard can it be to make it so that only one player on the field wears it. Is our technology really not in a better state.
    Our technology is, but the NFL's isn't.
    Every year there is some problem with the headsets used.
    Whether it is the other team intercepting the play calls or some mysterious type of jamming (sound familiar), there are still problems.

On paper we could easily say that only one player at a time can have it one.
    But in reality it wouldn't take much for someone to "accidentally" have two defensive headsets out there at a time.
    Plus the NFL would have to go through extra measures to prevent it, and that leads to more overhead.

Personally I don't care either way.
    But I can understand the league's position on this one.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

HD would probably really help, but the NFL needs to go to a replay system where the official is in a booth completley separate from the rest of the officiating crew and the booth official shouldn't have contact with the on the field officials outside of the game.

The booth official should have 6 to 8 monitors in a booth and he has 45 seconds to make the call, he tells the lead official on the field if the play or call stands.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12