Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Refs screw Lions

    Wow, this call was worse than any call made by the replacement refs.

    In case you live under a rock and haven't seen it yet... Forsett took the ball on a handoff, and was tackled. Unfortunately the refs didn't seem to notice that his elbow, knee, and forearm were all on the ground, and allowed Forsett to stand back up and scamper 81 yards to the endzone.

    NFL Call Ever Houston Texans vs Detroit Lions Thanksgiving Day 2012 - YouTube

    Of course all TDs are automatically reviewed now... but Schwartz threw the challenge flag. Apparently the rule is if a coach throws the challenge flag on a play that is already being reviewed (and therefore can't be challenged) the penalty is 15 yards AND the play is no longer reviewed. So not only did the Texans get a free TD on a call that was worse than the Packers-Seahawks one, but the Lions were assessed 15 yards on the kick off. oh yeah, and that was the score that tied the game - one that Houston eventually won in overtime.

    This is probably the stupidest rule I have ever heard of. If I was Kubiak I would have thrown the flag myself, guaranteeing that the play couldn't be reviewed. I'll trade 15 yards for a TD every day.

    Of course, since it wasn't the Packers, the NFL world isn't going to be up in arms.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    16,013
    I just think that Schwartz is a moron and screwed himself.

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  3. #3
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404
    I agree, Schwartz screwed himself.

    Replacement refs or regular refs, they make mistakes. The replacements are naturally going to stand out. The regular refs have made many of mistakes since coming back.

    Fact is that the Lions had a chance to win it on the foot of Hanson and they didn't. Make that field goal and the refs call wouldn't have mattered at all.

    In real time, he never stopped his motion and it was difficult to tell if his knee touched. The refs are supposed to let it go and then the coach can challenge. The rule not the refs screwed the coach that screwed himself.

  4. #4
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281
    My understanding is that the refs called it the way they are supposed to, the gripe should be with the rule not the enforcement of the rule.
    The Lions punt that hit a texan before being recovered by a Lion was a horrible call, even with replay they got it wrong.

  5. #5
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,560

    Refs screw Lions

    The rule enforced by the refs sucks, and, the refs sucked. I'm happy the Lions lost, but, they did get jobbed.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  6. #6
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    630
    I was watching the game with my dad and brother and none of us thought he was down as it happened live, so I can't blame the refs for missing it live. My question is, why does the league even have these stupid rules? Are you telling me they can't foresee things like this happening? I mean I understand the rule for regular challenges, but it makes no sense when it comes to scoring plays and automatic reviews. I just can't understand how they didn't think things like this were going to happen when they made the rule.

    It's like let me get this straight, not only did they punish the Lions by missing a bad call, they then went and punished them 2 more times? 1st by refusing to review it at all, and 2nd by giving them a 15 yard penalty. WTF? Good grief, give them the 15yds for throwing the flag, but at least review the damn thing and get it right.

    I wanted the Lions to lose, but this was almost as bad as when they took away Megatrons game winning catch in the 2010 opener vs the Bears.

  7. #7
    iowa is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spirit Lake, Iowa
    Posts
    110
    The loins got what they had comin' to them.Karma is a fickle bitch, Schwartz is a punk and he coaches the dirtiest bunch of thugs outside of new orleans.Nice "accidental" kick to the nads by Suh, I couldn't be happier about their implosion.
    None

  8. #8
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post

    Fact is that the Lions had a chance to win it on the foot of Hanson and they didn't. Make that field goal and the refs call wouldn't have mattered at all.
    That's bullshit.

    If the refs don't blow that call, the Lions win without even going into overtime & that kick is never even attempted.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #9
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    1. How was the coach to know for certain that the play was being reviewed before he challenged it? Was he notified of it? ......Nope.

    2. The play was over when the challenge was made & the flag thrown and should have been treated as such.

    3. To say a coach cannot challenge a play, especially on a score or turnover is a stupid rule.

    4. To penalize a team because they challenged a wrongfully called play is stupider yet.

    5. To say because a coach challenged a play that was supposedly already under review, that play is no longer reviewable is the stupidest of the 3. Like NP pointed out, if my team scores a TD on a pass where the receiver had one foot out of bounds & it was under review, which would inevitably reverse the call, I'd throw the challenge flag to stop & kill the review & take the 15 yard penalty when my team kicks off after the extra point.

    6. There is no logical reason for that rule to exist in the first place. On any other given circumstance if a coach challenges a play/ruling that can't be challenged (which is stupid within itself), the ref simply tells the coach it can't be challenged.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #10
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    1. How was the coach to know for certain that the play was being reviewed before he challenged it? Was he notified of it? ......Nope.

    2. The play was over when the challenge was made & the flag thrown and should have been treated as such.

    3. To say a coach cannot challenge a play, especially on a score or turnover is a stupid rule.

    4. To penalize a team because they challenged a wrongfully called play is stupider yet.

    5. To say because a coach challenged a play that was supposedly already under review, that play is no longer reviewable is the stupidest of the 3. Like NP pointed out, if my team scores a TD on a pass where the receiver had one foot out of bounds & it was under review, which would inevitably reverse the call, I'd throw the challenge flag to stop & kill the review & take the 15 yard penalty when my team kicks off after the extra point.

    6. There is no logical reason for that rule to exist in the first place. On any other given circumstance if a coach challenges a play/ruling that can't be challenged (which is stupid within itself), the ref simply tells the coach it can't be challenged.
    I agree for the most part. However, to respond to #1 - It was called a TD, therefore it is not a challengable play. TDs and turnovers are automatically reviewed, so they are not challengable. So yes, he should have known.

    I really think this rule is flawed. I can understand the 15 yard penalty, but making the play no longer under review is stupid. Seriously, I would just throw the flag every time I got a potentially questionable TD or a turnover just to ensure that it stood. I would take the 15 yards every time. This rule needs to be change immediately.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •