Frostbite is offline Coach

Referee Rotations??

I could probably find out the answer by making a few inquiries to the NFL offices on my own...but was wondering how and when the Referee Crews are rotated from game to game?? That is...do they stay within divisions?? Do they stay within certain areas during the regular season games??? Thought someone here might know?? The reason for my question is this....I often see posts about Refs calling bad games...making horrid calls etc....some have even suggested picking on certain players or favoring others.

Human nature along with the nature of the game compels me to wonder if the League has already taken steps to avoid having the same Referee crews seeing the same teams and players to often during the season? I mean....I hate to sound like I'm trying to pick on the Zebras.....but as a student of human nature it seems biases could be formed from to much contact with the same areas and teams.

This may be a mute point I don't know...but it is something I have wondered about for many years and in many pro sports for that matter. No referee should ever come into a game with an agenda...personal bias....or other non competitive attitude should they??? So how does the League tackle (Sorry for the Pun) human nature. I for one would hope these crews are moved often and occasionally mixed up as well.

Any answers or thoughts are greatly appreciated.....

Cheers! Frostbite
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Referee Rotations??

Didn't you or someone start a thread on this already earlier in the week?

I recall reading something very similar before.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Yes....but thought thred should be in general NFL area and not on Vikes area.....Also didn't get any answers....so trying again.

Good eye///singersp.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Each year the NFL puts together 17 officiating crews.
    Each crew is comprised of seven officials who work together all season in the same position—referee, umpire, head linesman, line judge, field judge, side judge, and back judge. The top rated crews based on game performance receive post-season assignments.

Officially these crews are divided into two conferences, East and West.
    There are 10 crews in the East and 7 in the West.
    What games each conference officiates is based loosely on geography, with the East crews officiating the more eastern games, and the West crews in the west.
    This is a very loose correlation, and not a concrete rule by any means.

All crews are typically assigned 16 games (with one week-off) during the regular season, and no more than one post-season game.
    Because of scheduling and geography, it is not uncommon to see some crews more than others.
    However, you likely won't see any one particular crew an excessive number of times in a single season.
    The NFL takes this into account when scheduling the crews.

After each game, the officiating office in the NFL grades each crew on every single play.
    The top rated crews based on game performance receive post-season assignments.

Crews are not kept together for the superbowl.
    Nine officials work the Super Bowl each year; seven on the field and two alternates.
    They are chosen based on the afore mentioned rating system that takes into account the correct calls, marginal calls, and incorrect calls they make in each game.
    I dislike this approach a lot, because it forces the officials to work with a people they may have never worked with before.
    I think that this is one reason that the officiating in the playoffs tends to be better than the officiating in the Super Bowl.
    To be eligible for a Super Bowl assignment, each official must have a minimum of five years' experience, and to be the referee, they need to have five years' experience at that position.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Hmm, seems like we get that cheesedick Hoculi too often...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Hmm, seems like we get that cheesedick Hoculi too often...
    It may seem that way, but it isn't the case.
    We have had four different officiating crews so far this year, and last year we had 16 different crews.

The reason it seems like we get Ed Hochuli so much is because 1) he is a fairly well known official and people recognize and remember him when he is officiating a game, and 2) he is one of the better referees in the NFL, and therefore works playoff games quite a bit.
    Since the Vikings were in the playoffs more times than not in the 15 years that Ed has been a referee, the odds are in our favor that we would see him in the post season some of those years.

We will normally see Ed's crew once in the regular season.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I seem to remember we had Jerry Markbright(sp) and awfully lot when he was still reffing.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

We must get the refs that don't want to perform well and work in the post-season. :-
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Thanks nodakpaul. I learned a lot from your very informative post. Musc appreciated

Cheers! Frostbite