Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Redskins’ Sellers apologizes for treatment of flag

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Yes, let them know that you think it is unacceptable.
    It was poor planning.

I wouldn't hold it against "the guy."

The guy apologized.

Hell, I don't even think we teach flag etiquette in school these days.
    We can't even say the pledge of allegiance in school.

I think that most of the people that are going to be most passionate about this are going to be of military and political background.
    Part of that reason for the passion is; one, being more attached to your country (sorry, that sounded like Obama's clinging to guns sound bite) and two, being taught how to handle "The Flag."
    I was watching the Kennedy funeral this AM and watched the military guys handle the flag.
    There is a reason the military does the flag in this situation, mainly because they are taught how to handle it and civilians aren't. Can you imagine if you just gave the flag to the mourning family and said go to it, have at it.
    On Labor Day and the Fourth, I bet there are a ton of clowns that violate the flag, I am probably one of them.

I will apologize for all of us clowns in advance.
    When it comes down to it, everything is about being educated.

By voicing you displeasure to the Redskins, they may do something to educate the public by making a statement and causing more people to be aware.
    I would actually blame the Redskins as a whole and not just "the guy" who was left holding the bag (flag).
    It was poor planning.
    It said that it was a tradition they started last season and it was done on the thought that they were doing something good and patriotic.
    Good intentions do not always end well.
    How many games did they get in before offending someone?
    Civilians know the flag does not belong on the ground.

No excuses.
    What about the government pissing all over it on a daily basis?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

He meant no disrespect. This is really nothing to get upset about.
    :
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Deeply disturbed by this action? Someday your head might explode. Just please don't cap any civilians if you catch them defacing a flag in the future. I never knew a flag shouldn't touch the ground, I don't think that's been hammered into many civs heads. CMac makes the best point, setting a flag down on the ground pales in comparison...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    It was poor planning.

The guy apologized.

I think that most of the people that are going to be most passionate about this are going to be of military and political background.
    Part of that reason for the passion is; one, being more attached to your country (sorry, that sounded like Obama's clinging to guns sound bite) and two, being taught how to handle "The Flag."
    I was watching the Kennedy funeral this AM and watched the military guys handle the flag.
    There is a reason the military does the flag in this situation, mainly because they are taught how to handle it and civilians aren't. Can you imagine if you just gave the flag to the mourning family and said go to it, have at it.
    On Labor Day and the Fourth, I bet there are a ton of clowns that violate the flag, I am probably one of them.

By voicing you displeasure to the Redskins, they may do something to educate the public by making a statement and causing more people to be aware.
    I would actually blame the Redskins as a whole and not just "the guy" who was left holding the bag (flag).
    It was poor planning.
    It said that it was a tradition they started last season and it was done on the thought that they were doing something good and patriotic.

No excuses.
    How about the commander in chief?
    Education is needed!

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html
    In July 2003 President Bush autographed a small flag. This picture was circulated across the Internet noting its violation of the Flag Code: "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

September 11, 2006, President Bush and first lady Laura Bush stand on a carpet of the American flag at Ground Zero in Manhattan, the site of the September 11, 2001 attack. Section 8b of the Flag Code reads, " The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground..."
    Super Bowl 2004, Janet Jackson's "costume malfunction" made international news; that same half-time show featured the wearing of an American flag by performer Kid Rock. He later removed the flag poncho and hurled it over his head. Section 8d. reads, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel."
    June 13, 2008, Byron Brown, the mayor of Buffalo, ordered all flags at city buildings lowered to half-staff in honor of news journalist Tim Russert (pictured). Section 7m authorizes the President, the Governor, and the Mayor of the District of Columbia to half-staff the US flag in certain circumstances.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Flag Rules

Flag at half-staff for Senator Kennedy Through 8/30/09

"As a mark of respect for the memory of Senator Edward M. Kennedy, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on August 30, 2009." (Presidential Proclamation)
    "No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." Section 8

"The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing." Section 8j

FLAG CODE:
    http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

here is a snip of the code....... the ones in blue I have seen violated quite often.

§6. Time and occasions for display

1. It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

2. The flag should be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

3. The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all-weather flag is displayed.

4. The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on

* New Year's Day, January 1

* Inauguration Day, January 20

* Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, third Monday in January

* Lincoln's Birthday, February 12

* Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February

* Easter Sunday (variable)

* Mother's Day, second Sunday in May

* Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May

* Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May

* Flag Day, June 14

* Father's Day, third Sunday in June

* Independence Day, July 4

* Labor Day, first Monday in September

* Constitution Day, September 17

* Columbus Day, second Monday in October

* Navy Day, October 27

* Veterans Day, November 11

* Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November

* Christmas Day, December 25

* and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States

* the birthdays of States (date of admission)

* and on State holidays.

5. The flag should be displayed daily on or near the main administration building of every public institution.

6. The flag should be displayed in or near every polling place on election days.

7. The flag should be displayed during school days in or near every schoolhouse.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Randy" wrote:
    Not a big deal at all.
    It's just a flag, he apologized, who cares.
    It's just a flag?
    No, it's our national symbol.
    Many have died defending that flag.

And I care.

"C" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    It was poor planning.

The guy apologized.

It was poor planning.

No excuses.
    What about the government pissing all over it on a daily basis?
    That is another topic altogether.
    And we do not discuss politics here.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    It was poor planning.

The guy apologized.

It was poor planning.

No excuses.
    How about the commander in chief?
    Education is needed!

In July 2003 President Bush autographed a small flag. This picture was circulated across the Internet noting its violation of the Flag Code: "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

September 11, 2006, President Bush and first lady Laura Bush stand on a carpet of the American flag at Ground Zero in Manhattan, the site of the September 11, 2001 attack. Section 8b of the Flag Code reads, " The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground..."
    Super Bowl 2004, Janet Jackson's "costume malfunction" made international news; that same half-time show featured the wearing of an American flag by performer Kid Rock. He later removed the flag poncho and hurled it over his head. Section 8d. reads, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel."
    June 13, 2008, Byron Brown, the mayor of Buffalo, ordered all flags at city buildings lowered to half-staff in honor of news journalist Tim Russert (pictured). Section 7m authorizes the President, the Governor, and the Mayor of the District of Columbia to half-staff the US flag in certain circumstances.
    I am talking about the flag.
    Not a carpet flag or costume.

And yes it appears that others have used in the flag in an improper manner; I do not agree with those incidents either.

What's your point?
    I am sure many do things they should not; I am not here debating that.
    I am here talking about the incident.
    I cannot be the policeman for every offense.
    Thought I would bring it to the sites attention for those who were interested.

And getting back to some, a lot of people have died defending this country.
    Whether you believe in the past wars or not, you cannot deny the bravery and sacrifice of many for the great nation.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    It was poor planning.
    That's what I did, I contacted the Redskins...not the player.

To my knowledge, this was the first time a Redskin did this.

Just to clarify, it wold be nice if the organization issued an apology.

I probably was a little worked-up when I first posted this (and even moreso after reading some of the comments) and I should've stated the above.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast