Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    OK, how about this:

"Gee, I sure hope we lose every game in '12 and '13 so we can have the #1 overall draft pick for 2 years in a row. Boy oh boy, won't we be loaded with talent then?!?!!? We'll probably dominate with all the great picks we'll get"

See how foolish that sounds?
    I've never wanted us to lose like that so we get the first overall pick. But once we were eliminated from the playoffs, and it was clear that we had a shot at the number 2 overall pick, I did want us to avoid losing meaningless games. I was happy when we lost to the bears and sad when we beat the Skins (only magnified by losing AP). That doesn't mean I'm not a "true fan", it just means I see the good things that can come out of us losing, much like a parent who punishes their kid because they know the kid needs to learn a lesson.

I'm not trying to take this holier than thou stance, sorry it comes across that way. But all I know is if I could trade that dumb ass win against the Redskins for the bounty that the Rams just got, I'd do it in a heart beat. You take your "BIGGEST PICTURE" and I'll gladly take a 2-14 season if it means having 2 first round picks for the next 3 years and 2 seconds in one of them. That's how you get back into the playoffs. It would really suck if we had to draft a 2 person combination of Kalil/Blackmon/Claiborne this year wouldn't it.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I've never wanted us to lose like that so we get the first overall pick. But once we were eliminated from the playoffs, and it was clear that we had a shot at the number 2 overall pick, I did want us to avoid losing meaningless games. I was happy when we lost to the bears and sad when we beat the Skins (only magnified by losing AP). That doesn't mean I'm not a "true fan", it just means I see the good things that can come out of us losing, much like a parent who punishes their kid because they know the kid needs to learn a lesson.

I'm not trying to take this holier than thou stance, sorry it comes across that way. But all I know is if I could trade that dumb ass win against the Redskins for the bounty that the Rams just got, I'd do it in a heart beat. You take your "BIGGEST PICTURE" and I'll gladly take a 2-14 season if it means having 2 first round picks for the next 3 years and 2 seconds in one of them. That's how you get back into the playoffs. It would really suck if we had to draft a 2 person combination of Kalil/Blackmon/Claiborne this year wouldn't it.
    Couple of points:

1: I TEACH my kids when they need to learn a lesson, I punish them when they disobey. Further, I don't EVER cheer against my kids with the hopes that the final result will make them stronger. Analogy doesn't fit this circumstance.

2: I never said you weren't a "True fan". I get WHY you did it...I just don't do it myself. Doesn't make me better, doesn't make you worse. Just seems to me that the resulting backlash you got should have been expected, and just because we MIGHT have gotten a plethora of picks from Washington doesn't validate that position.

3: If you've read my limited posts about the draft, you've seen that I wanted RGIII. Ergo, I would have wanted us to keep the #2 overall pick. Instead of landing Washington's picks, I wanted a franchise guy (Not sold on Ponder). Now, neither of us gets what they wanted....

So, in the final analysis, what did you gain by cheering against the team? Some short-term recriminations from other fans and the apparent need to validate yourself.

Trust me, in this case it's best to let it lie. Reminding others of the event will only keep it alive. No one here TRULY believes you're not a sincere fan...I certainly don't. I simply wouldn't take the path you took.

Be careful, young Padawan, that way lies the dark side....

Caine

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

So, in the final analysis, what did you gain by cheering against the team? Some short-term recriminations from other fans and the apparent need to validate yourself.

Trust me, in this case it's best to let it lie. Reminding others of the event will only keep it alive. No one here TRULY believes you're not a sincere fan...I certainly don't. I simply wouldn't take the path you took.

Be careful, young Padawan, that way lies the dark side....

Caine
    lol nicely said. I'll put my hand up and admit that I watch football because I enjoy it and would always want my team to play for the win everytime regardless of the impact on draft places. Maybe an old fashioned concept but one I'll stick with.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Its the kind of trades that makes you root against Washington, heavy prize - what if he bust, what if he gets injured?, what if - so many things.. A lot of QB's coming out next season as well..

They could also have been a player in the Brees situation potentially.. If they have signed him of a franchise tender - that would only have cost them 2 first rounders, haha.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Washington pretty much just screwed both themselves and griffin. He is no longer going to get a blockbuster rookie contract with the new CBA and by trading away all of those picks they pretty much relegated the team to not being able to build a young nucleus around him.

I feel bad for him in a way because I think the big trade might have sealed the fate of his future in the NFL.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Hey fans on here who criticized me and called me "not a true fan" for wanting the Vikings to lose at the end of the season so we would beat the Rams for the 2nd pick in the draft.... blow me.
    With the depleted OL we have, Ponder at QB with only Harvin as a reliable WR to go to, the loss of the best blocking TE in football, a mediocre defensive backfield, sans Winfield & a RB who will probably be less than 100% of what he was, you'll probably get your wish next year with the Vikings picking 1st or 2nd, unless the Vikings do something drastic this FA & pull off a good draft.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Washington pretty much just screwed both themselves and griffin. He is no longer going to get a blockbuster rookie contract with the new CBA and by trading away all of those picks they pretty much relegated the team to not being able to build a young nucleus around him.

I feel bad for him in a way because I think the big trade might have sealed the fate of his future in the NFL.
    If RGIII is a franchise QB they will be better off. It's only three draft picks they are missing, atleast one of them would have been a miss anyway. With the money they are saving by drafting a rookie as apposed to paying Manning 20million a year they will have extra room for free agents(15million a year).
    In short I'd rather be the Redskins than any of the 20 or so teams without a franchise QB.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Skins are going to go hard after Vincent and in all likelihood will get him. They have a good defense, a solid RB in Helu Jr. (who I wanted the Vikes to get) and an average OL. If they get one or two starters out of the draft, or sign someone else besides Vincent in FA I think Griffin could have a good team around him.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    If RGIII is a franchise QB they will be better off. It's only three draft picks they are missing, atleast one of them would have been a miss anyway. With the money they are saving by drafting a rookie as apposed to paying Manning 20million a year they will have extra room for free agents(15million a year).
    In short I'd rather be the Redskins than any of the 20 or so teams without a franchise QB.
    But you have no idea if he will be a franchise QB. And it isn't just 3 picks, it is 2 firsts and a second. Think of our roster without Peterson ,Harvin and Rudolph. Yeah, they are saving money over signing Manning. I agree with that one. But still, they are giving up 3 high draft picks that could be used to add skill players and build around him. Right now he will be in his 4th season before they can think about putting a top draft skill player around him.

Throw in the notion that most Vikings rubes are buying into that you need to draft a top 5 LT before your QB can have a shot at being successful and he is pretty much screwed.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    But you have no idea if he will be a franchise QB. And it isn't just 3 picks, it is 2 firsts and a second. Think of our roster without Peterson ,Harvin and Rudolph. Yeah, they are saving money over signing Manning. I agree with that one. But still, they are giving up 3 high draft picks that could be used to add skill players and build around him. Right now he will be in his 4th season before they can think about putting a top draft skill player around him.

Throw in the notion that most Vikings rubes are buying into that you need to draft a top 5 LT before your QB can have a shot at being successful and he is pretty much screwed.
    Eh... actually it's 4 draft picks. Three 1st rounders and a 2nd.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast