Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/05/12/cushing.ap/index.html#

    Cushing wins revote, keeps AP Defensive Rookie of the Year award
    Posted: Wednesday May 12, 2010 2:30PM; Updated: Wednesday May 12, 2010 5:57PM

    NEW YORK (AP) -- A positive drug test notwithstanding, Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing is still The Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

    Five days after he was suspended without pay for four games, a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL voted again to give Cushing the award. He didn't receive anywhere near the 39 votes of his previous landslide victory, but the 18 he got in Wednesday's revote were enough to reclaim the honor.

    "I was just glad to hear the news, that people stuck by me. Very honored," Cushing said. "I'm very happy to have the award once again, and I'm just happy with how everything turned out."

    Although Cushing said he took a non-steroid substance, the league still considers it a performance-enhancer.
    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #22
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,195
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Congratulation, Cushing!

    You are the first person to become the defensive rookie of the year... twice!

  3. #23
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,576

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    I would still vote for Cushing.
    We're bringing purple back.

  4. #24
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,195
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Marrdro wrote:
    if you let your kids use sports figures as role models, I think you've kindof failed as a parent
    Wow, did I really hear that? Wow! That are some very serious words. I would be careful to throw that around if I was you.

    I know that you are trying to make a point, but I think most people would agree that you went overboard when you basically called me a "failure as a father" purely based on the fact that I said my kids look up to athletes.

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    kids will take notice, despite what you as parents will try to do.
    Thank you, i_bleed_purple!

    You see, Marrdro, there are some things that parents just can't control, and one of those things are role models. The children need to decide what and who to like.

    We can always try to influense and guide them, but how would the World become if the parents decided every thought their child should have? The whole point of having childred would be gone. We might as well call them robots because they wouldn't have a mind of their own.

    I don't want to use the same words as you did, but I can say that I'd rather be the parent that let his child choose his/her heroes. Not letting the children decide on their own would be a violation of a basic human right.

    Let's say my kid likes to play running back. A good way to be good at playing RB is to learn from the greatest. Almost all athletes today had someone that they looked up to when they were young. Take Adrian Peterson for example, he looked up to Emmitt Smith growing up. Kids need someone to teach them stuff, a player like Adrian is a coach in some way.

    Marrdro wrote:
    [quote]I liken it to letting them hold some movie star up as a role model as they are both in the entertainment business.[quote]
    This is really confusing! In your eyes, athletes are bad role models, but a movie stars are perfectly fine. :huh:

    Personally, I would be very disappointed if my daughter idolized Amy Winehouse or Lindsey Lohan. :blink:

  5. #25
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,231

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Randy Moss was a role model in my child hood. Randy Moss.. And I haven't even assaulted police officer yet, although I do smoke weed once in a blue moon.

  6. #26
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,576

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Cushing is still the man and my favourite player from that draft class.
    We're bringing purple back.

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    HEY wrote:
    Wow, did I really hear that? Wow! That are some very serious words. I would be careful to throw that around if I was you.

    I know that you are trying to make a point, but I think most people would agree that you went overboard when you basically called me a "failure as a father" purely based on the fact that I said my kids look up to athletes.
    First, I am always carefull when I talk about one of lifes greatest treasures.

    Second, obviously, by judging your comments you completely missed what I was trying to say, right up to the point were you missed were I told you that I wasn't singling you out.

    Not trying to single you out my friend and I hope this doesn't come off as a asssshhhhat, .....snip.....
    You see, Marrdro, there are some things that parents just can't control, and one of those things are role models. The children need to decide what and who to like.

    We can always try to influense and guide them, but how would the World become if the parents decided every thought their child should have? The whole point of having childred would be gone. We might as well call them robots because they wouldn't have a mind of their own.
    I agree 100%, however, we can, as parents, help to guide them and teach them the values that allow them to make ratiionale decisions in life, and yes, even to the point that they are wise when they select who thier role models are.

    Again, for me, if Wildman were to come up to me and say that his role model is a football player, that he doesn't know a thing about other than he carries the football right or runs fast, I as a parent consider my efforts in that guidance process to be a failure.

    Truth of the matter, I would almost go so far as to say that parents who find thier kids select entertainers for role models might be the same ones who let the TV and computer games raise thier kids and spend very little time with them.

    I don't want to use the same words as you did, but I can say that I'd rather be the parent that let his child choose his/her heroes. Not letting the children decide on their own would be a violation of a basic human right.
    Again, there is no way in hell that a parent could "Force" a child to pick role models that the parent wants the kid to have. That is a bit out there and not what I am trying to say at all.

    It all gets back to the values you tried to teach them as they grew up.

    Let's say my kid likes to play running back. A good way to be good at playing RB is to learn from the greatest. Almost all athletes today had someone that they looked up to when they were young. Take Adrian Peterson for example, he looked up to Emmitt Smith growing up. Kids need someone to teach them stuff, a player like Adrian is a coach in some way.
    But your mixing apples and oranges here. Of course young athletes look at successfull athletes to model thier game after but that in no way equates to them holding that cat up as a role model

    Are you trying to say that just because a youngster likes the way a RB runs he should then use that guy as a role model to base his life against?

    Hmmm, Fast RB, runs and avoids tackles. What qualities do those transition over into lifes little lessons.....

    Surely not a Senator, Doctor, Lawyer, Carpentor.....

    Nope, can't come up with anything.

    This is really confusing! In your eyes, athletes are bad role models, but a movie stars are perfectly fine. :huh:
    Again, just more evidence that you completely missed what I was saying.

    The phrase "I liken" doesn't equate to I like, it equates to something closer to "I put them in the same catagory of" or "The two are equal to each other".

    In short, they are both entertainers ("I liken them to") and both should be on the bottom of every kids list as role model candidates and yes, I would be very dissapointed and let down if my kids choose one of them as a role model to base thier life after.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Overlord wrote:
    I disagree that players that use steroids only hurt themselves. They hurt other players. These substances are banned because of the health risk. The idea is to take away the choice between performance benefits and potential health problems, to create an environment where players don't need to use dangerous substances in order to have a 'level playing field'.

    Fans and the league aren't significantly hurt in my opinion. It's the players and the Players Association that should really be ticked about this kind of stuff.
    Your point is better than mine when it comes to who is really hurt. I didn't take into account the other players on the field.

    My point was more along the lines of the "Health Risk" to the players you also pointed out.

    Well said my friend.


    That said, there's no reason in my mind not to give out individual awards. Just keep in mind that whoever is doing it, whether it is the Associated Press, Pepsi, or the NFL, is not doing it for the players. They give out awards so they can write stories on it, get some more publicity, or even have another chance to play a game and get advertising revenue. The game stopped being about the players when it started being watched by more than just their parents.
    My point exactly, just articulated in a better way. Looks like I should have stuck with the teacher as my mentor for a bit longer instead of my two Uncles.

    I might be a bit more articulate in splaining myself.

    But awards are not important in the sense that it doesn't affect the game itself and, oh by the way, it is still just a game.
    I agree, however, if the game and the players are actually shaping our youth, then I guess it isn't considered just a game anymore my friend.

    How sad is it if that is, in fact, really happening. (Sad emoticon)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,195
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Okay Marrdro, I'm going to try to keep this short as I have a feeling that this might go one for several pages.

    I believe that you didn't try to "come off as a asssshhhhat", but the fact is that you said what you said, and those words are arguable the biggest insult to a parent.

    All I'm saying is that you might considering toning it down a little. I know this is the Internet and it makes people say things they wouldn't say face-to-face, but we shouldn't forget that there are still people behind every comment.

    Of course young athletes look at successfull athletes to model thier game after but that in no way equates to them holding that cat up as a role model
    Yes, I agree. There is a difference, but kids are going to find role models whether we like it or not. It's only natural to have role models when you grow up. Most kids have their parents as their biggest role models, but I think it's perfectly fine to have e.g. a NFL player as a role model to look up to if the kid loves football. That's simply in the nature of the human. Finding the player with the right character however, that's a whole other story.

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    HEY wrote:
    Okay Marrdro, I'm going to try to keep this short as I have a feeling that this might go one for several pages.

    I believe that you didn't try to "come off as a asssshhhhat", but the fact is that you said what you said, and those words are arguable the biggest insult to a parent.

    All I'm saying is that you might considering toning it down a little. I know this is the Internet and it makes people say things they wouldn't say face-to-face, but we shouldn't forget that there are still people behind every comment.

    Of course young athletes look at successfull athletes to model thier game after but that in no way equates to them holding that cat up as a role model
    Yes, I agree. There is a difference, but kids are going to find role models whether we like it or not. It's only natural to have role models when you grow up. Most kids have their parents as their biggest role models, but I think it's perfectly fine to have e.g. a NFL player as a role model to look up to if the kid loves football. That's simply in the nature of the human. Finding the player with the right character however, that's a whole other story.
    Two things....

    1. I never say anything on here that I wouldn't say to any of your faces my friend. Again, I was not pointing my comments at you.

    2. When it comes to the youth (especially my kids) of America, I don't think we should tone anything down.

    but I think it's perfectly fine to have e.g. a NFL player as a role model to look up to if the kid loves football.
    Football, yes, life, no.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vote for the New Vikings Defensive Line Nickname
    By NeoVikesTX in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 12:45 PM
  2. Vote Winfield's Sack/Fumble/TD for Defensive Play of the Week.
    By The Dropper in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 01:43 AM
  3. Vote for the Vikings Defensive Play Of The Year
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •