Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Does anyone really care?

    In the end, its a award for one person in a sport that is "Team Orientated".

    As to the issue that started all of this, who the hell cares about that either....

    ROID up my friends, ROID up. Your only hurting yourself, not me.
    I would say yes, people do care. Yes, its a team sport, but are you trying to say they should not have individual awards?
    No no, I'm saying they should give everyone a award.

    JK, of course I'm saying that. I absolutely hate individual awards for players who play on team sports.

    Absolutley ludicrous to give a LB a ROY award for making alot of tackles. Take the NT and DT's away from the equation and the OLmen would have free whacks at his ass and he wouldn't get any tackles.

    You want a individual award? Go play golf, tennis or even kayacking.

    On a side note, Let me apologize up front,.....I had a tooth pulled late last night and I'm kindof in a percocet driven, grumpy state of mind. Things like this kindof set me off when I'm feeling normal so you can imagine how I feel when I'm a bit off my game. B)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #12
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Does anyone really care?

    In the end, its a award for one person in a sport that is "Team Orientated".

    As to the issue that started all of this, who the hell cares about that either....

    ROID up my friends, ROID up. Your only hurting yourself, not me.
    I would say yes, people do care. Yes, its a team sport, but are you trying to say they should not have individual awards?
    No no, I'm saying they should give everyone a award.

    JK, of course I'm saying that. I absolutely hate individual awards for players who play on team sports.

    Absolutley ludicrous to give a LB a ROY award for making alot of tackles. Take the NT and DT's away from the equation and the OLmen would have free whacks at his ass and he wouldn't get any tackles.

    You want a individual award? Go play golf, tennis or even kayacking.

    On a side note, Let me apologize up front,.....I had a tooth pulled late last night and I'm kindof in a percocet driven, grumpy state of mind. Things like this kindof set me off when I'm feeling normal so you can imagine how I feel when I'm a bit off my game. B)
    Every single team sport known to man has individual awards. Hockey, Football, Volleyball, baseball, everything.

    They need individual awards as a sort of mini-challenge for all players. What about teams that are out of championship contention? Their players have nothing to play for. They play for distinction and honour. If there were no awards, they might as well just slack off, not risk getting hurt and try again next year.

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Does anyone really care?

    In the end, its a award for one person in a sport that is "Team Orientated".

    As to the issue that started all of this, who the hell cares about that either....

    ROID up my friends, ROID up. Your only hurting yourself, not me.
    I would say yes, people do care. Yes, its a team sport, but are you trying to say they should not have individual awards?
    No no, I'm saying they should give everyone a award.

    JK, of course I'm saying that. I absolutely hate individual awards for players who play on team sports.

    Absolutley ludicrous to give a LB a ROY award for making alot of tackles. Take the NT and DT's away from the equation and the OLmen would have free whacks at his ass and he wouldn't get any tackles.

    You want a individual award? Go play golf, tennis or even kayacking.

    On a side note, Let me apologize up front,.....I had a tooth pulled late last night and I'm kindof in a percocet driven, grumpy state of mind. Things like this kindof set me off when I'm feeling normal so you can imagine how I feel when I'm a bit off my game. B)
    Every single team sport known to man has individual awards. Hockey, Football, Volleyball, baseball, everything.

    They need individual awards as a sort of mini-challenge for all players. What about teams that are out of championship contention? Their players have nothing to play for. They play for distinction and honour. If there were no awards, they might as well just slack off, not risk getting hurt and try again next year.
    Meeting or exceeding escalator clauses in their contract for production is the only "mini-challenge" these guys need my friend.

    Wins and losses are the only things they need for "Distinction and Honor".

    These awards are for the fans and fans alone.

    On a side note, anyone listen to Jammie Dukes last night? I could have written his comments for him......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,193
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Mr Anderson wrote:
    So are they gonna take away Merriman's too?
    That's exactly what I was thinking!
    The Shawne Merriman incident is similar to the Brian Cushing situation. Merriman did also receive a 4-game suspension for violating the NFL's steroid policy, he also won the "defensive rookie of the year"-award, and they are one of the very best at what they're doing.

    That's exactly why this is a big problem. People are seeing that drugs can turn you into great football players because of these players. They are supposed to act as role models, millions of kids idolize players like Cushing and Merriman, and I'm sure that some kids will consider steroid use just because of them.

    Therefore, I think it's an outrage how lightly the NFL handles the steroid issue. I also feel that the NFL and the media is focusing too little on this problem. And it is a problem, a big one!

    In Europe, most people know very little about American football, but many of them will tell you that they think most of the players in the NFL use steroids, and I can't exactly blame them.

    The so-called "punish" these steroid users receive are jokes. Four weeks of suspension is nothing compared to most other sports where the athletes would be banned for years and lose all their medals.

    Personally, I looked up to both Cushing and Merriman, but I was very disappointed when I heard about the steroid use. It's never fun when you lose all respect for a guy you look up too.

  5. #15
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    HEY wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    So are they gonna take away Merriman's too?
    That's exactly what I was thinking!
    The Shawne Merriman incident is similar to the Brian Cushing situation. Merriman did also receive a 4-game suspension for violating the NFL's steroid policy, he also won the "defensive rookie of the year"-award, and they are one of the very best at what they're doing.

    That's exactly why this is a big problem. People are seeing that drugs can turn you into great football players because of these players. They are supposed to act as role models, millions of kids idolize players like Cushing and Merriman, and I'm sure that some kids will consider steroid use just because of them.

    Therefore, I think it's an outrage how lightly the NFL handles the steroid issue. I also feel that the NFL and the media is focusing too little on this problem. And it is a problem, a big one!

    In Europe, most people know very little about American football, but many of them will tell you that they think most of the players in the NFL use steroids, and I can't exactly blame them.

    The so-called "punish" these steroid users receive are jokes. Four weeks of suspension is nothing compared to most other sports where the athletes would be banned for years and lose all their medals.

    Personally, I looked up to both Cushing and Merriman, but I was very disappointed when I heard about the steroid use. It's never fun when you lose all respect for a guy you look up too.
    Not trying to single you out my friend and I hope this doesn't come off as a asssshhhhat, however, if you let your kids use sports figures as role models, I think you've kindof failed as a parent in some wierd sort of way. I liken it to letting them hold some movie star up as a role model as they are both in the entertainment business.

    Don't get me wrong, I love that Wildman has all kinds of Vikings posters on his wall (All under Kirby and Mauer of course) but I don't think he considers them as role models.

    I hope, his Grandfathers, Uncles, a Teacher or possibly even his Dad is/are held in that high regard and not some entertainer that he really doesn't know a damn thing about.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #16
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Marrdro wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    So are they gonna take away Merriman's too?
    That's exactly what I was thinking!
    The Shawne Merriman incident is similar to the Brian Cushing situation. Merriman did also receive a 4-game suspension for violating the NFL's steroid policy, he also won the "defensive rookie of the year"-award, and they are one of the very best at what they're doing.

    That's exactly why this is a big problem. People are seeing that drugs can turn you into great football players because of these players. They are supposed to act as role models, millions of kids idolize players like Cushing and Merriman, and I'm sure that some kids will consider steroid use just because of them.

    Therefore, I think it's an outrage how lightly the NFL handles the steroid issue. I also feel that the NFL and the media is focusing too little on this problem. And it is a problem, a big one!

    In Europe, most people know very little about American football, but many of them will tell you that they think most of the players in the NFL use steroids, and I can't exactly blame them.

    The so-called "punish" these steroid users receive are jokes. Four weeks of suspension is nothing compared to most other sports where the athletes would be banned for years and lose all their medals.

    Personally, I looked up to both Cushing and Merriman, but I was very disappointed when I heard about the steroid use. It's never fun when you lose all respect for a guy you look up too.
    Not trying to single you out my friend and I hope this doesn't come off as a asssshhhhat, however, if you let your kids use sports figures as role models, I think you've kindof failed as a parent in some wierd sort of way. I liken it to letting them hold some movie star up as a role model as they are both in the entertainment business.

    Don't get me wrong, I love that Wildman has all kinds of Vikings posters on his wall (All under Kirby and Mauer of course) but I don't think he considers them as role models.

    I hope, his Grandfathers, Uncles, a Teacher or possibly even his Dad is/are held in that high regard and not some entertainer that he really doesn't know a damn thing about.
    There's a difference between having a kid look up to a sports figure as a role model as far as being a good person and being rediculously good at a sport you enjoy.

    Look at a guy like Moss. He's a bit of a dick, but I would give my left nut to have half the talent that guy has. I'd look up to him in a stricly football point of view, but not as an actual person, and IMO there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Especially if the person in question plays football as well. They shoudl be looking up to some of the best, and try and model their game after them.

  7. #17
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    So are they gonna take away Merriman's too?
    That's exactly what I was thinking!
    The Shawne Merriman incident is similar to the Brian Cushing situation. Merriman did also receive a 4-game suspension for violating the NFL's steroid policy, he also won the "defensive rookie of the year"-award, and they are one of the very best at what they're doing.

    That's exactly why this is a big problem. People are seeing that drugs can turn you into great football players because of these players. They are supposed to act as role models, millions of kids idolize players like Cushing and Merriman, and I'm sure that some kids will consider steroid use just because of them.

    Therefore, I think it's an outrage how lightly the NFL handles the steroid issue. I also feel that the NFL and the media is focusing too little on this problem. And it is a problem, a big one!

    In Europe, most people know very little about American football, but many of them will tell you that they think most of the players in the NFL use steroids, and I can't exactly blame them.

    The so-called "punish" these steroid users receive are jokes. Four weeks of suspension is nothing compared to most other sports where the athletes would be banned for years and lose all their medals.

    Personally, I looked up to both Cushing and Merriman, but I was very disappointed when I heard about the steroid use. It's never fun when you lose all respect for a guy you look up too.
    Not trying to single you out my friend and I hope this doesn't come off as a asssshhhhat, however, if you let your kids use sports figures as role models, I think you've kindof failed as a parent in some wierd sort of way. I liken it to letting them hold some movie star up as a role model as they are both in the entertainment business.

    Don't get me wrong, I love that Wildman has all kinds of Vikings posters on his wall (All under Kirby and Mauer of course) but I don't think he considers them as role models.

    I hope, his Grandfathers, Uncles, a Teacher or possibly even his Dad is/are held in that high regard and not some entertainer that he really doesn't know a damn thing about.
    There's a difference between having a kid look up to a sports figure as a role model as far as being a good person and being rediculously good at a sport you enjoy.

    Look at a guy like Moss. He's a bit of a dick, but I would give my left nut to have half the talent that guy has. I'd look up to him in a stricly football point of view, but not as an actual person, and IMO there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Especially if the person in question plays football as well. They shoudl be looking up to some of the best, and try and model their game after them.
    I can agree with that, however, I don't think that is quite the same as being a role model, but rather, modeling your game to match said players....

    In short, when I think role model, I think someone I am going to model my life after.

    A sports figure just doesn't toe the line when it is taken in that context.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #18
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    So are they gonna take away Merriman's too?
    That's exactly what I was thinking!
    The Shawne Merriman incident is similar to the Brian Cushing situation. Merriman did also receive a 4-game suspension for violating the NFL's steroid policy, he also won the "defensive rookie of the year"-award, and they are one of the very best at what they're doing.

    That's exactly why this is a big problem. People are seeing that drugs can turn you into great football players because of these players. They are supposed to act as role models, millions of kids idolize players like Cushing and Merriman, and I'm sure that some kids will consider steroid use just because of them.

    Therefore, I think it's an outrage how lightly the NFL handles the steroid issue. I also feel that the NFL and the media is focusing too little on this problem. And it is a problem, a big one!

    In Europe, most people know very little about American football, but many of them will tell you that they think most of the players in the NFL use steroids, and I can't exactly blame them.

    The so-called "punish" these steroid users receive are jokes. Four weeks of suspension is nothing compared to most other sports where the athletes would be banned for years and lose all their medals.

    Personally, I looked up to both Cushing and Merriman, but I was very disappointed when I heard about the steroid use. It's never fun when you lose all respect for a guy you look up too.
    Not trying to single you out my friend and I hope this doesn't come off as a asssshhhhat, however, if you let your kids use sports figures as role models, I think you've kindof failed as a parent in some wierd sort of way. I liken it to letting them hold some movie star up as a role model as they are both in the entertainment business.

    Don't get me wrong, I love that Wildman has all kinds of Vikings posters on his wall (All under Kirby and Mauer of course) but I don't think he considers them as role models.

    I hope, his Grandfathers, Uncles, a Teacher or possibly even his Dad is/are held in that high regard and not some entertainer that he really doesn't know a damn thing about.
    There's a difference between having a kid look up to a sports figure as a role model as far as being a good person and being rediculously good at a sport you enjoy.

    Look at a guy like Moss. He's a bit of a dick, but I would give my left nut to have half the talent that guy has. I'd look up to him in a stricly football point of view, but not as an actual person, and IMO there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Especially if the person in question plays football as well. They shoudl be looking up to some of the best, and try and model their game after them.
    I can agree with that, however, I don't think that is quite the same as being a role model, but rather, modeling your game to match said players....

    In short, when I think role model, I think someone I am going to model my life after.

    A sports figure just doesn't toe the line when it is taken in that context.
    did little marrdro (not your son, a little version of you) never see a sports icon, actor, or famous person and just think they were awesome and want to be like them? Not even for a little bit? Not saying they're the most important person in your life or anything, but kids will take notice, despite what you as parents will try to do.

    In your case, Sure, Wildman is old enough now to know better. He probably has a decent idea now on what's acceptable, what he wants to do and how to do it. When he was a little kid, I'm willing to be he had some famous people he liked, and did things like they did. Everyone does at some point in their life. Find me one person who says differently and I'll show you a liar.

  9. #19
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    So are they gonna take away Merriman's too?
    That's exactly what I was thinking!
    The Shawne Merriman incident is similar to the Brian Cushing situation. Merriman did also receive a 4-game suspension for violating the NFL's steroid policy, he also won the "defensive rookie of the year"-award, and they are one of the very best at what they're doing.

    That's exactly why this is a big problem. People are seeing that drugs can turn you into great football players because of these players. They are supposed to act as role models, millions of kids idolize players like Cushing and Merriman, and I'm sure that some kids will consider steroid use just because of them.

    Therefore, I think it's an outrage how lightly the NFL handles the steroid issue. I also feel that the NFL and the media is focusing too little on this problem. And it is a problem, a big one!

    In Europe, most people know very little about American football, but many of them will tell you that they think most of the players in the NFL use steroids, and I can't exactly blame them.

    The so-called "punish" these steroid users receive are jokes. Four weeks of suspension is nothing compared to most other sports where the athletes would be banned for years and lose all their medals.

    Personally, I looked up to both Cushing and Merriman, but I was very disappointed when I heard about the steroid use. It's never fun when you lose all respect for a guy you look up too.
    Not trying to single you out my friend and I hope this doesn't come off as a asssshhhhat, however, if you let your kids use sports figures as role models, I think you've kindof failed as a parent in some wierd sort of way. I liken it to letting them hold some movie star up as a role model as they are both in the entertainment business.

    Don't get me wrong, I love that Wildman has all kinds of Vikings posters on his wall (All under Kirby and Mauer of course) but I don't think he considers them as role models.

    I hope, his Grandfathers, Uncles, a Teacher or possibly even his Dad is/are held in that high regard and not some entertainer that he really doesn't know a damn thing about.
    There's a difference between having a kid look up to a sports figure as a role model as far as being a good person and being rediculously good at a sport you enjoy.

    Look at a guy like Moss. He's a bit of a dick, but I would give my left nut to have half the talent that guy has. I'd look up to him in a stricly football point of view, but not as an actual person, and IMO there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Especially if the person in question plays football as well. They shoudl be looking up to some of the best, and try and model their game after them.
    I can agree with that, however, I don't think that is quite the same as being a role model, but rather, modeling your game to match said players....

    In short, when I think role model, I think someone I am going to model my life after.

    A sports figure just doesn't toe the line when it is taken in that context.
    did little marrdro (not your son, a little version of you) never see a sports icon, actor, or famous person and just think they were awesome and want to be like them? Not even for a little bit? Not saying they're the most important person in your life or anything, but kids will take notice, despite what you as parents will try to do.

    In your case, Sure, Wildman is old enough now to know better. He probably has a decent idea now on what's acceptable, what he wants to do and how to do it. When he was a little kid, I'm willing to be he had some famous people he liked, and did things like they did. Everyone does at some point in their life. Find me one person who says differently and I'll show you a liar.
    Gonna sound wierd, but no, my role models growing up were two uncles (One a Soldier/One a Sailor), A teacher (English) who encouraged me to write.

    My dad and I never got along to much. My Mom says it was because we were both to much alike, which included being hard headed as hell.

    There was one "Entertainer" I really looked up to though......The late great Satchmo. I tried my damnest to play trumpet/coronet like he did, but don't think he ever achieved "Role Model" status.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re:Re-vote for Defensive ROY

    I was in the 'whatever' camp, but a lot of interesting issues have been brought up here.

    Marrdro wrote:
    As to the issue that started all of this, who the hell cares about that either....

    ROID up my friends, ROID up. Your only hurting yourself, not me.
    I disagree that players that use steroids only hurt themselves. They hurt other players. These substances are banned because of the health risk. The idea is to take away the choice between performance benefits and potential health problems, to create an environment where players don't need to use dangerous substances in order to have a 'level playing field'.

    Fans and the league aren't significantly hurt in my opinion. It's the players and the Players Association that should really be ticked about this kind of stuff.

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ..
    I absolutely hate individual awards for players who play on team sports.

    Absolutley ludicrous to give a LB a ROY award for making alot of tackles. Take the NT and DT's away from the equation and the OLmen would have free whacks at his ass and he wouldn't get any tackles.

    You want a individual award? Go play golf, tennis or even kayacking.
    ...
    Every single team sport known to man has individual awards. Hockey, Football, Volleyball, baseball, everything.

    They need individual awards as a sort of mini-challenge for all players. What about teams that are out of championship contention? Their players have nothing to play for. They play for distinction and honour. If there were no awards, they might as well just slack off, not risk getting hurt and try again next year.
    I don't think they need awards for motivation. These guys are professionals in a competitive environment. Most everyone in the league, even on bad teams, has zero chance of winning an award at the end of the season. They play for money, pride, fun, or for whatever other reason they have in their mind. Awards can be a motivator to some, but I would suggest that it is the primary motivation in a very small number of players.

    That said, there's no reason in my mind not to give out individual awards. Just keep in mind that whoever is doing it, whether it is the Associated Press, Pepsi, or the NFL, is not doing it for the players. They give out awards so they can write stories on it, get some more publicity, or even have another chance to play a game and get advertising revenue. The game stopped being about the players when it started being watched by more than just their parents.

    But awards are not important in the sense that it doesn't affect the game itself and, oh by the way, it is still just a game.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vote for the New Vikings Defensive Line Nickname
    By NeoVikesTX in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 12:45 PM
  2. Vote Winfield's Sack/Fumble/TD for Defensive Play of the Week.
    By The Dropper in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 01:43 AM
  3. Vote for the Vikings Defensive Play Of The Year
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •