Prophet Guest

Ravens to re-sign Lewis.

RAVENS TO RE-SIGN LEWIS
    13 March 2006
    Mike Florio

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the Baltimore Ravens have reached an agreement with running back Jamal Lewis on a three-year deal worth $25 million.

The deal will be announced later in the day.

On Saturday, Lewis's backup, Chester Taylor, signed with the Vikings. On Sunday, a possible alternative to Lewis, Edgerrin James, agreed to a deal with the Cardinals.

The move comes as a surprise to some, including whoever at The Associated Press wrote that Lewis had been replaced by the Sunday night acquisition of Mike Anderson.

We also wonder whether there will be any lingering tension between Lewis and coach Brian Billick, in light of the following comments that Lewis made last month: "We really didn't bump heads, but I've always played for coaches who shoot the truth. I want the truth and didn't get it here."

Then again, $25 million at a time when no one else is interested goes a long way toward compensating

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Ravens to re-sign Lewis.

Just about to post this and you beat me to it! Surprising to see the Ravens offered so much over only 3 years though. My guess is this deal is backloaded to high heaven and Jamal will never see half the money in the contract.

Prophet Guest

They should be sitting pretty with Mike Anderson and Jamal Lewis as their RBs.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Interesting. Now I wonder if this means that Anderson, and Lewis will battle for the starting position, or if Lewis will get it handed to him? I am not sure if Anderson would have signed with the Ravens if he knew that Lewis would be coming back. I am sure that Mike Anderson would like the opportunity to start, and with Chester Taylor signing with us, and Lewis pretty much out the door in Baltimore. he probably thought he had the starting job with the Ravens. It will be interesting to see what happens there..

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:

The move comes as a surprise to some, including whoever at The Associated Press wrote that Lewis had been replaced by the Sunday night acquisition of Mike Anderson.

Then again, $25 million at a time when no one else is interested goes a long way toward compensating
    These 2 things are surprising????

Why Anderson?
    Why so much money?

Source

LEWIS CONTRACT REALLY A ONE-YEAR DEAL

A league source tells us that the three-year deal to which running back Jamal Lewis has agreed in Baltimore is really a one-year deal, given the presence of a sizeable option bonus due in 2007.

As a practical matter, then, it's a one-year, $6 million deal. He gets $5 million to sign and a $1 million base salary for 2006.

Absent a monster year, we're told that the team won't be picking up the option for 2007 and 2008

This is a smart thing to do, make jamal really show if he can have a big year, if so, pick up the option for the next two years, if not, let him go...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Poor Sharper! Bad photo opp for him.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

good mvoe by them. i think he will return to his 1000+ yards form
    We're bringing purple back.