Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mic or no mic he's earned the right to speak his mind.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The games that I have watched this year show him playing at a pretty high level. Maybe he only plays well when he knows Singer and I are watching.
    That's got to be it!

Hey Marrdro! can you e-mail us your spreadsheet for 2011 centers, so we can see what you're looking at?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I thought wearing a microphone was voluntary, not mandatory.

If Goodell upholds the fine, he's a fucking douche bag.

His fines are usually utterly ridiculous.
    I'd guess there was something in the contract where says they have to do stuff like that if selected for the good of the NFL brand etc etc..

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    That's got to be it!

Hey Marrdro! can you e-mail us your spreadsheet for 2011 centers, so we can see what you're looking at?
    ouch!!

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Do you actually believe his play dropped off that significantly since last year? Any links to Ravens being concerned about Birk? I haven't found any yet.
    Harbaugh: "We All Deserve To Have Fingers Pointed At Us"

Amazingly, the Bryant McKinnie-Andre Gurode-Matt Birk-Marshal Yanda-Michael Oher quintet has an NFL-high 510 career starts, a figure that far outdistances second-place Detroit (478).

But the unit was responsible for five of the 10 Ravens' penalties at Jacksonville: two Oher holds, a Gurode false start, Yanda's roughness call and an illegal formation.

Plus, it hasn't been able to hold off pass rushers or run-stuffers with any consistency. As a result, Flacco could only average 3.6 yards per pass play during a season he has produced at a pace over twice that.

And even getting rid of the ball more quickly at shorter distances hasn't been good for Flacco's health. He has been hit 35 times, tied with the Indianapolis quarterbacks for the eighth-highest total in the league.

Flacco should be thankful the Jaguars sent mostly four- and five-man rushes at him through most of Monday's game, for he was hit a season-low three times during the loss. The damage could have been a lot worse if more pressure had been coming.

As for Rice and the running game, it has a mere nine first downs this year running behind the reconfigured McKinnie-Gurode left side, one that had Oher and Ben Grubbs playing there the past two years.

Things have gone no better up the middle when running behind Birk and the guards; the Ravens have a mere four first downs going that route.

"We've been pretty wildly inconsistent," Harbaugh said. "Especially on offense, with our offensive-line situation."
    harbs-o-line-will-be-ready-for-steelers/

The Ravens’ offensive line had troubles stopping an opposing pass rush for the third straight game – so much on Sunday that the team ended up partly going to a no-huddle offense to relieve the pressure.

The Arizona Cardinals hit quarterback Joe Flacco four times, sacked him three times and caused two fumbles, including one on the 2-yard line that set up a touchdown.

There was also a penalties problem. Despite playing at M&T Bank Stadium, the offensive line was flagged five times.

Asked to evaluate the status of his offensive line, Head Coach John Harbaugh looked ahead, not backwards.
    Flacco has now lost four fumbles through seven games this year, matching his total from all last season.

“We need to be more consistent, and it’s execution,” center Matt Birk said.

“When the quarterback gets hit, one out of six times the ball ends up on the ground, which is a bad deal. It gave them an opportunity for easy points. We can’t do that. That’s not a recipe for winning games.”
    losing-grubbs-hurts-o-line/

The Ravens believe they can improve the unit’s play with another week of diligent work.

“Just execution-wise, we just didn’t get it done for whatever reason,” said center Matt Birk. “We had a great week of preparation and a great workweek, but sometimes you come out and you don’t get it done. There’s very little carry-over from one week to the next, but we’ll go home and watch this film – to a man – and see what we can do better in the next one.

“We weren’t able to stay on the field, move the chains and do all the things we want to be able to do – sustaining drives and keeping the defense off the field. We just didn’t do that. We got our butts kicked.”

Ravens' Second-Quarter Report Card: Not Consistent Yet

OFFENSIVE LINE: In Games 4-7, we saw how much the absence of one man -- left guard Ben Grubbs -- affected offensive-line cohesion, even though the line depends on all five working together consistently; Grubbs seemed to tighten things up in Pittsburgh. Left-siders Bryant McKinnie and Andre Gurode seemed to struggle as the team got deeper into the season, particularly with speedy and athletic defensive linemen and linebackers, and center Matt Birk continued to fight off a few nagging, minor injuries. Right guard Marshal Yanda continues to be the team's best player on this unit. It's not a top-notch line by any means, but it has given the offense time to do the things it is attempting to do, hence the average grade.
    GRADE: C.

A month after a post you come up with some data that happened a month after the post?

Nothing there points at Birk outside of "Matt Birk continued to fight off a few nagging, minor injuries", basically saying he's not 100%.

Poor performance was blamed at McKinnie, the new LG & the penalties were on those two & Oher.

The O-Line does not equal Matt Birk only. If you believe it does, then you must also believe Hutchinson sucked since the day we got him because our OL has pretty much been sub par since the day we got him.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    A month after a post you come up with some data that happened a month after the post?Nothing there points at Birk outside of "Matt Birk continued to fight off a few nagging, minor injuries", basically saying he's not 100%.

Poor performance was blamed at McKinnie, the new LG & the penalties were on those two & Oher.

The O-Line does not equal Matt Birk only. If you believe it does, then you must also believe Hutchinson sucked since the day we got him because our OL has pretty much been sub par since the day we got him.
    Sorry didn't realize my time line was that far off base, guess I was confused by your use of an Aug 24 article using 2010 stats to grade Birk for this season....especially since Matt didn't return to the team to practice until Aug 27 after having his knee scoped....my bad

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Sorry didn't realize my time line was that far off base, guess I was confused by your use of an Aug 24 article using 2010 stats to grade Birk for this season....especially since Matt didn't return to the team to practice until Aug 27 after having his knee scoped....my bad
    Again, a few articles about 1 game that states the OL didn't play well doesn't mean Birk is playing like shit this year.

When you come up with something that points the finger at Birk, be sure & post it.

Who would you rather have right now as our C, Birk or Sullivan?
    Last edited by singersp; 11-14-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12