Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Are the Ravens the best AFC team???

i think towards the end of the year is when boller kinda heats up a lil

SJHILL is offline Starter

You just can't sell me on Boller or the whole team. They didn't even make the playoffs last season.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

who is the ravens other safety besides Reed?

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"magicci" wrote:
    who is the ravens other safety besides Reed?

Will Demps, who gets no recognition by the media at all, for being a dang good safety. Ed Reed, mccallister, and rolle make him the forgotten guy, not to mention deion, but demps is a heck of a player, if you haven't seen much from him.

"SJHILL" wrote:
    You just can't sell me on Boller or the whole team. They didn't even make the playoffs last season.

Like SD not making the playoffs 2 years ago, yet they were a good team last year. NY didn't make it 2 years ago, and were good last year. Pitt turned it around last year. I could go on and on, like naming carolina going to the super bowl, after a previous horrible season, and the rams winning the super bowl following a bad season.

Sorry, but with the turnaround in the league today, what you did the previous year just doesn't mean much anymore.

Baltimore looks like a replica of SD last year, but with a better D.

Drew Brees sucks. Remember that being said before last season?

Del Rio Guest

Couple things:

You keep comparing Baltimore to San Diego. The question is Are the Ravens the best AFC team. San Diego wasn't the #1 team last year in the AFC. So by your reasoning even if Baltimore could turn it around like the Chargers did, it probably will not be enough to be #1

Drew Brees, although his numbers of TD's and INT's are similar he kills Boller in yards. Granted there aren't many years to compare, but in 2002 Brees had about the same arsenal as Boller did last year. Not many stand out guys. And yet he managed 3284 yards.

They both had an 11 game season, and even with mediocre stats Brees had a better percentage twice as many yards and more TD's

So we can nit pick and compare divisions, compare all the ins and out's but to me the bottom line is this, EVEN if Boller can become like Brees. It will not be enough. Both of their play resembles a Jake Plummer. And I am telling you this, if you turn the ball over as much as these two there is no way you will ever be #1

In 2000 they had a crappy QB by the name of Dilfer. And they won it all, but they had the #1 D in the AFC that is not the case any more. Granted they took a huge dive from #1 in 2002 and dropped to mediocre, and have been climbing the charts and statistically in 2004 they were a top ten defense.

Problem is they are in the AFC and their defense isn't king anymore. It is going to take more then a Jake Plumber, Drew Brees level of accomplishment to succeed now in this AFC of 2005.

There isn't much else going on the board right now. That's the only reason I posted this.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Couple things:

You keep comparing Baltimore to San Diego. The question is Are the Ravens the best AFC team. San Diego wasn't the #1 team last year in the AFC. So by your reasoning even if Baltimore could turn it around like the Chargers did, it probably will not be enough to be #1

Drew Brees, although his numbers of TD's and INT's are similar he kills Boller in yards. Granted there aren't many years to compare, but in 2002 Brees had about the same arsenal as Boller did last year. Not many stand out guys. And yet he managed 3284 yards.

They both had an 11 game season, and even with mediocre stats Brees had a better percentage twice as many yards and more TD's

So we can nit pick and compare divisions, compare all the ins and out's but to me the bottom line is this, EVEN if Boller can become like Brees. It will not be enough. Both of their play resembles a Jake Plummer. And I am telling you this, if you turn the ball over as much as these two there is no way you will ever be #1

In 2000 they had a crappy QB by the name of Dilfer. And they won it all, but they had the #1 D in the AFC that is not the case any more. Granted they took a huge dive from #1 in 2002 and dropped to mediocre, and have been climbing the charts and statistically in 2004 they were a top ten defense.

Problem is they are in the AFC and their defense isn't king anymore. It is going to take more then a Jake Plumber, Drew Brees level of accomplishment to succeed now in this AFC of 2005.

There isn't much else going on the board right now. That's the only reason I posted this.

My comparison to SD is more to point out that they are built very similar to SD, BUT they have a better D and also IMO, better receivers also. So that would IMO make them better then SD of last year, who wasn't #1. And I never said Baltimore was the best team in the AFC, I am simply giving reasons that they have a shot at it, or why it isn't absurd to think they are the best or have a shot at being the best.

SD wasn't a playoff team 2 years ago, and were actually downright horrible. Yet they turned it around and were a pretty d@mn good team last year. Baltimore was on the verge of the playoffs already, so for someone(not you) to say they weren't even in the playoffs last year, as an excuse they shouldn't be considered as possible contenders for the best in the AFC is wrong.

And who says they don't have the #1 D in the AFC anymore? Because of last year? They very easily could have the #1 D in the AFC and even NFL this year, so I don't know where that comes from. To me they have enough on D to allow a QB like a brees of last year, to win a lot of games, especially with a RB like jamal lewis back there doing his thing. They also improved their O-line in the offseason as well, to help their running game.

So you can talk about their D of last year, or boller of last year, but I am looking at them of this year. They improved in a bunch of areas, and boller is one of those areas. He learned to take care of the ball last year and that is what will make baltimore a real contender in the AFC. Again, SD improved vastly last year, so to expect baltimore to be the same on D or at QB, as they were in 2004 is rediculous.

They have a shot at being the best team in the AFC. Thats all my arguements are saying. They have a great D, a great coach, an improving QB(even though some people are to blind to see it), a much much better receiving corp, a healthy pro bowl TE, and a pro bowl RB that is expected to play all year long(if not injured). These are the things that allowed SD to improve so much from 1 season to the next and if baltimore does the same, they will be right there near or at the top of the AFC.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213