Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Ranking the NFL Head Coaches

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Am I the only one that picked up on the fact that Mike Tomlin (who worked under Childress in 2006) is ranked 9 spots above Childress after only his first year of head coaching?
    Actually I thought it was a good thing.
    Shows this organization highers good football minds.
    Put that with a team that was pretty gol 'darnit sound to beging with and he should be ranked pretty high IMHO.
    Really? With Dungy on that list as well, it tells me the Vikings FO is letting better coaches walk away than what they are keeping.
    I kindof put Dungy and Tomlin in different catagories.
    Both good coaches that were from the Vikes but from entirely different regimes.

Besides, we can't stop them from leaving now can we?
    If they are offered a position higher than what they are currently filling with our staff they have the right to leave.
    What category, staffs you sniff vs. ones you refuse to give credit for anything?

How about this:

Old staff under Green

Dungy *
    Billick *
    Linehan

New staff under childress

Tomlin

* Won SB

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Am I the only one that picked up on the fact that Mike Tomlin (who worked under Childress in 2006) is ranked 9 spots above Childress after only his first year of head coaching?
    Put that with a team that was pretty gol 'darnit sound to beging with and he should be ranked pretty high IMHO.
    Really? With Dungy on that list as well, it tells me the Vikings FO is letting better coaches walk away than what they are keeping.

If they are offered a position higher than what they are currently filling with our staff they have the right to leave.
    We all know that, but there are ways of remedying that situation now isn't there?

Dungy should have been named head coach instead of Denny Green, no doubt in my mind.

The Vikings did nothing to try and retain Tomlin's services. He could have at least been offered more money to stay & a promise that if Childress didn't work out he would get the nod.

It may or may not have changed his decision, but without at least attempting to retain him, it was an easy decision on Tomlin's part & a faux pas on the front offices part.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

What category, staffs you sniff vs. ones you refuse to give credit for anything?

How about this:

Old staff under Green

Dungy *
    Billick *
    Linehan

Tomlin

* Won SB
    I give Denny lots of credit. I've always said they should have given Denny what he wanted that that is the GM job.
    As far as Tice, I only ping on that regimes abilility to get a solid draft class in the house.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=47260.msg824154#msg824154 date=1219495729]

How about this:

Old staff under Green

Dungy *
    Billick *
    Linehan

Tomlin

* Won SB
    I give Denny lots of credit. I've always said they should have given Denny what he wanted that that is the GM job.

As far as Tice, I only ping on that regimes abilility to get a solid draft class in the house.
    [/quote]

For what? For causing problems with the owners, the press, and the team. For bitching about how the ownership should give him some ownership? For writing a book calling out the owners. For always causing an uproar with the press.
    Marr, you always talk about how the team is not just made up of the coach alone. That ownership and general managers have a part in the team's success. But with Denny it was him and him alone that counted. I think he was a first class jerk!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

We all know that, but there are ways of remedying that situation now isn't there?

Dungy should have been named head coach instead of Denny Green, no doubt in my mind.

The Vikings did nothing to try and retain Tomlin's services. He could have at least been offered more money to stay & a promise that if Childress didn't work out he would get the nod.

It may or may not have changed his decision, but without at least attempting to retain him, it was an easy decision on Tomlin's part & a faux pas on the front offices part.
    With Dungy you have to remember cheap Red was controlling his pennies and he did replace Green with Tice later and it did seem to be more of a cheap option than going out and trying to recruit

As for Tomlin, Zygi was standing behind his new coach, what kind of faux pas would it be if the story leaked that after one year Childress's replacement was signed and waiting in the wings.

And if your Tomlin you have a chance to be a head coach now with a team and org that hasn't been flipping coaches, is stable and playoff ready. Or you can stay where you are with a team that is developing but the owner is telling you he is already looking at his current coach being replaced, how long would it take to replace Tomlin if he was given the Vikings job?
    Also Zygi had a bit of a black eye from how he notified Tice about not retaining his services the year before.

It would have been great to keep Tomlin but the Steelers job was a big chance for him now at the time and would have been messy to beat for the Vikes.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=47260.msg824165#msg824165 date=1219498158]

How about this:

Old staff under Green

Dungy *
    Billick *
    Linehan

Tomlin

* Won SB

[/quote]

For what? For causing problems with the owners, the press, and the team. For bitching about how the ownership should give him some ownership? For writing a book calling out the owners. For always causing an uproar with the press.
    Marr, you always talk about how the team is not just made up of the coach alone. That ownership and general managers have a part in the team's success. But with Denny it was him and him alone that counted. I think he was a first class jerk!
    [/quote]
    I hear ya my friend but under his leadership (whatever his role) we had a pretty good 10 year run although we never won the big one.

Again, I don't care about the coaches demeanor or if he is liked by the fans.
    I just want to see results.
    Denny got those.

It is to bad that in the end he got just a bit to power hungry though.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Do you really think that would have been a wise decision from the ownership?
    What kindof message would that have sent?
    :

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Do you really think that would have been a wise decision from the ownership?
    What kindof message would that have sent?
    :
    [/quote]

The same type of message it sends to all players when someone is brought in to compete against them.

Everyone is replaceable if there is someone better qualified on the payroll.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I can't believe they have ole Herm, Wisenhunt and Jauron ahead of the ole Chiller.
    :
    I can

He raises a valid point, with all the skill on the team, we only managed to win 8 games.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

These surveys are always funny, they go right with the wins and losses.
    A team could be 6-0 and lose a game and the coach support dives.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast