Thread: Ranking LBs

Prophet Guest

Ranking LBs

Ranking linebackers, team-by-team
    Mike Tanier / FootballOutsiders.com
    2 Aug. 2006

2. Bears
    Brian Urlacher has exceptional range, uncanny instincts, and great timing when he blitzes. He's not the best linebacker in the league at stacking inside running plays, but he's solid in pass coverage and a sure tackler. Lance Briggs led the league in Pass Stops last year (42) and had more total Stops (86) than Urlacher (80). Briggs is currently in Lovie Smith's doghouse for skipping a voluntary minicamp in a contract dispute, but he'll be back in the lineup when the games matter.

The rest of the Bears linebackers are nothing special, but there is depth here. Hunter Hillenmeyer is a good run defender who doesn't make many mistakes. Rookie Jamar Williams may be the top backup this season.
    24. Packers
    In two or three years, A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge will be enforcers in the mold of Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs. In 2006, however, they'll take their rookie lumps. Both youngsters are quick studies who will improve as the season goes on. Nick Barnett looked like a top prospect in 2003 but hasn't developed. Free-agent Ben Taylor is a top run defender who may start over Hodge at the start of the year. Backup Bobby Poppinga is a special teams ace.
    27. Vikings
    E.J. Henderson is an adequate run defender who must leave the field on passing downs. Ben Leber, a free agent who played in San Diego's 3-4 scheme, is a stack-and-fill defender coming off a foot injury. Dontarrious Thomas is currently listed as the starter in the middle, but Thomas is a nickel backer at best; his average tackle in 2005 came a league-high 8.6 yards downfield. Napoleon Harris, a free agent bust last season, will get a chance to unseat Thomas. If rookie Chad Greenway develops quickly, he'll play the Will position and Henderson will move inside.

28. Lions
    Bad teams are bad because they don't develop the talent they acquire. Take the Lions (please). Boss Bailey and Teddy Lehman were collegiate superstars who flashed big-play potential in their rookie seasons, but neither player had progressed beyond the "prospect" stage, and both are coming off injuries. New coordinator Donnie Henderson will try to get more from them than the past coaching staff did. Rookie Ernie Sims, the likely starter on the weak side, has outstanding speed but suffered at least six concussions in college. He's athletic, undisciplined, and always hurt — sounds like a Lions linebacker.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Ranking LBs

For once, I'm going to agree with a writer. He's right, but that does not mean that we can't improve our standings with outstanding performances. For now, at least, I actually have to say he's right.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I'll agree with everything besides:

"Napoleon Harris, a free agent bust last season,"

The last I checked we didn't pick him up in free agency. It seems as though there was some trade that took place....can't place my finger on it but I think it ryhmes with Toss.

And he was kind of a bust...that part I agree with. I never really had very high expectations of him in the first place though.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I'll agree with everything besides:

"Napoleon Harris, a free agent bust last season,"

The last I checked we didn't pick him up in free agency. It seems as though there was some trade that took place....can't place my finger on it but I think it ryhmes with Toss.

And he was kind of a bust...that part I agree with. I never really had very high expectations of him in the first place though.
    Toss? Who could you be talking about?

I agree that I didn't have very high expectations for him last year, but I figured that he would at least start. Let's hope he gets his act together this year.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I hope all this Minnesota line backer bashing starts to rub on our LBers. Maybe they'll step it up a notch and prove the NFL wrong. Wouldn't that be nice?