Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Raiders release former top pick Russell

Raiders release former top pick Russell

Updated May 6, 2010 4:32 PM ET

The Oakland Raiders released former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell on Thursday, ending a three-year tenure marked by his high salary and unproductive play on the field.

Senior executive John Herrera told The Associated Press about the move and said that "we wish him well.'...
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re:Raiders release former top pick Russell

After watching this guy QB the Raiders, I honestly would be a bit surprised to see any team pick him up. He might be one of the biggest busts ever for a 1st overall pick.

Might be able to convert him to a new position, like Chinese checkers grand master, but I don't see an NFL career in his future. Hopefully he didn't blow through all his cash already.

I don't see why they're giving up on the guy. In the three years before getting Russell, the Raiders won 11 games. In the last three years with him, they won 14. That smells like improvement to me.

And I don't think I'm alone in saying he looked like a solid prospect at offensive tackle. How many times did he let a defensive lineman get past him?

I know everyone will now be arguing about whether Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell is the bigger draft bust. Just to be fair, I think we always need to keep in mind the fact that Russell had to play for the Raiders, an organization whose owner was demented enough to once call Russell 'a great player'.

Oh, and the Vikes should sign this guy.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

He has his money and never had to take that many hits. Time to go do something else more his speed, like pumping gas
    We're bringing purple back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817fd5ba&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Russell won only seven of his 25 starts as the Raiders extended an NFL-worst streak to seven straight seasons with at least 11 losses. He completed just 52.1 percent of his passes in his career with 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, 15 lost fumbles and a passer rating of 65.2.

That means Russell has been paid more than $5 million per win, more than $2 million per touchdown pass and more than $100,000 per completion.
    lol

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Seems premature by Vikings standards. He should have gotten at least 5 consecutive seasons of 16 starts before any judgement is made.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Overlord wrote:
    I don't see why they're giving up on the guy. In the three years before getting Russell, the Raiders won 11 games. In the last three years with him, they won 14. That smells like improvement to me.

And I don't think I'm alone in saying he looked like a solid prospect at offensive tackle. How many times did he let a defensive lineman get past him?

I know everyone will now be arguing about whether Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell is the bigger draft bust. Just to be fair, I think we always need to keep in mind the fact that Russell had to play for the Raiders, an organization whose owner was demented enough to once call Russell 'a great player'.

Oh, and the Vikes should sign this guy.

Al Davis? :lol:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tarvaris Jackson > #1 pick Jamarcus Russell

Now where is that 2007 "We need to trade up & draft Jamarcus Russell" knob-slobbering thread?

You know who you are.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp wrote:

Now where is that 2007 "We need to trade up & draft Jamarcus Russell" knob-slobbering thread?

You know who you are.
    It is now your mission to find that thread so we can ridicule whoever said that for years to come.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

gregair13 wrote:
    singersp wrote:

You know who you are.
    It is now your mission to find that thread so we can ridicule whoever said that for years to come.

Moot point...we all know Chilly would have developed Russell into a Pro Bowl QB within 3 years.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast